Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

993 gt2 and 997 gt2 finally meet (pics of course)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
h-bo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you all for the very kind comments. i feel very lucky indeed.. next step needs to trim the weight of the 997 down a bit.. can 1200kg be achieved?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:49 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Enjoy that pair in good health. Truly AWESOME machines!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

Brilliant...
993 GT2 will be mine someday.

Thank you again for sharing, enjoy in good health.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by h-bo
thank you all for the very kind comments. i feel very lucky indeed.. next step needs to trim the weight of the 997 down a bit.. can 1200kg be achieved?
Actually, probably. However, that's light enough that you are well past just removing stuff and pretty deep into replacing stuff with lighter stuff, which can get very expensive.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding pics...the shot of the scud/gt2/gt2 is my new background...thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 AM
h-bo
Instructor

yargk... i just got a price list from manthey... 1200 kg would definitely be past the taking out things stage. the most frustrating is paying for a something which isn't worth as much as the piece you are throwing out. eg. new carbon doors with plastic windows for 4-5000 euros and throw out alumium doors with elctrics, leather, etc.
i guess this is why most people go directly to the cup route. this will need lots of thought.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

I wouldn't do doors unless I was doing a cage as well and you're right the aluminum doors are pretty nice...

Here are my thoughts.
Porsche says the GT2 is 1440 kg, other sources say closer to 1490 with a full tank. So if you want to bring it to 1200 kg with a full tank, you're reducing the weight by 20%. I think you can reduce the weight by 10% for a very small fraction of the cost of 20% so you may want to start there. Also manthey probably isn't the cheapest way to get the car light. You could replace the seats with recaro spgs at 14.x pounds a piece and save several pounds on each side ($800 a seat) or get recaro spas to save a couple more pounds for $2300 a seat. $ per pound is a good measure.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 AM
h-bo
Instructor

funnily enough the seats are probably not the first thing i would get rid of.. they are fairly light and extremely comfortable.. even on track.. all lining, stereo, aircon etc.. would go first.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,767 Posts

h-bo, thanks for sharing...you're a fortunate guy.

I would really appreciate your input, and anyone else's for that matter, on tracking a GT3/2 vs. a 993 RS/RSCS/GT2 (real or clone) in terms of feel and experience. Obviously a track-prepared 993 will never perform in the same universe as a 6/7 GT3/2 but I'm sure those who have driven both can draw some interesting differences in terms of feel and driving experience.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 930man
i would trade my 997 gt2 for a 993 Gt2!!!!!!! i woulld trade my 996 GT2 for a 993 GT2!!!!!! great pics thanks for posting!!!!!!!!!!! i am serious !
I would TOO MATT... I looked into it, couldn't find any REAL GT2 at a reasonable price.. All of the european websites werent in english, so I did the dollar conversion on their price and it was like 100-120k, I was like damnnnn I want to get one.. Then someone informed me they weren't actual GT2's but 993TT's converted

Both are gorgeous!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
h-bo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Louis J.
h-bo, thanks for sharing...you're a fortunate guy.

I would really appreciate your input, and anyone else's for that matter, on tracking a GT3/2 vs. a 993 RS/RSCS/GT2 (real or clone) in terms of feel and experience. Obviously a track-prepared 993 will never perform in the same universe as a 6/7 GT3/2 but I'm sure those who have driven both can draw some interesting differences in terms of feel and driving experience.
Louis, it is diffuclt to say anything on the subject without sounding as though I favour one over the other. I genuinely don't, they are both great in very different ways.

very very simply put the 997 has me in complete awe and I know I simply don't have the ***** or skills to drive anywhere near its limits. When I drive it I feel so impressed by it and the knowledge that this is as good as things get at the moment. this is very satisfying. I also feel extremely safe becuase it so predictable and accurate. Being terrified of other people on the track I also really appreciate the speed so I don't have to hang around.

the 993 on the other hand is not as fast, has less grip, gives you much less confidence, but I feel much more satisfied with every good lap that I get out of it. When I am balancing the throttle, mashing the brakes, I really feel as though I know the car itimately rather than being a passenger on an intergalactic spaceship.

The problem with the 997 is that within a few years there will be a car that does what it does, but even more so. the evolution will continue, and I will be fascinated and curious to know what that car is like then. the 993 on the other hand is there and I will never compare it to any other car because I know there are so many better and faster cars around, and I knew this when I bought it, but I continue to grow more and more fond of it as I get to know it better. In 10 years time I will still have the 993, the 997 will be long gone, as will its replacement....... and I will, if i can afford it, be completely bowled over by some new hyperfast porsche/ferrari/nissan... you name it.

If you asking because you want something for the track only... then get a cup car... these two will never ever feel like racecars.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Turbo993
Advanced

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I would TOO MATT... I looked into it, couldn't find any REAL GT2 at a reasonable price.. All of the european websites werent in english, so I did the dollar conversion on their price and it was like 100-120k, I was like damnnnn I want to get one.. Then someone informed me they weren't actual GT2's but 993TT's converted

Both are gorgeous!
Real GT2s currently range between 220 kEuro and 270 kEuro, depending on colour and model year; there are about 10-15 for sale in Europe, but not all are stock and accident-free.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,951 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Thanks so much for the review. My C4S goes to its new owner tomorrow and I'll be p-car less while I decide which direction to take and start shopping for the next car(s). I've been lurking around here lately because I'm considering a 3 but I'm still undecided. I love the character of the 993 but also appreciate the technological advancements of the 997. Whatever I buy will be tracked and while I agree with your cup suggestion it's a bit premature for me.

Option 1: 993 Carrera S garage queen + 993 RSCS clone (my build at a budgeted ~$75k and target of ~325HP/2,800lbs)

Option 2: 6GT3 and a 993 Carrera S garage queen

Option 3: 7GT3...maybe an RS

$$$ wise, the three options will be about the same and I like the flexibility of having two cars so I don't compromise on intended use. Rear seats on a garage queen are a big + as I have a 9 y/o and will want to take the fam out on the p-car on sunny weekends and I also like the idea of building a track car. As for the track aspect, the biggest factor for me is "feel" and "experience" and not necessarily having the fastest car. What keeps me interested in the 993 option is that a well prepared 993 track car, being as stiff, small and raw as it is will likely provide more of the feel I'm looking for even though it won't come near the performance of a GT3.

Still debating...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 525 Likes on 331 Posts

Hello Henrik,

Have you tested a 996 GT2? I would be curious to know how it feels vs a 993 GT2 or a 997 GT2.

Samuel
Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 AM
h-bo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Thanks so much for the review. My C4S goes to its new owner tomorrow and I'll be p-car less while I decide which direction to take and start shopping for the next car(s). I've been lurking around here lately because I'm considering a 3 but I'm still undecided. I love the character of the 993 but also appreciate the technological advancements of the 997. Whatever I buy will be tracked and while I agree with your cup suggestion it's a bit premature for me.

Option 1: 993 Carrera S garage queen + 993 RSCS clone (my build at a budgeted ~$75k and target of ~325HP/2,800lbs)

Option 2: 6GT3 and a 993 Carrera S garage queen

Option 3: 7GT3...maybe an RS

$$$ wise, the three options will be about the same and I like the flexibility of having two cars so I don't compromise on intended use. Rear seats on a garage queen are a big + as I have a 9 y/o and will want to take the fam out on the p-car on sunny weekends and I also like the idea of building a track car. As for the track aspect, the biggest factor for me is "feel" and "experience" and not necessarily having the fastest car. What keeps me interested in the 993 option is that a well prepared 993 track car, being as stiff, small and raw as it is will likely provide more of the feel I'm looking for even though it won't come near the performance of a GT3.

Still debating...
if you have the possibility of having a dedicated road car and a track then I would really urge you to go for that. the gt3rs, like a gt2, will be like driving a track car on the road and a road car on the track... the worst of bost worlds. it is for me undoubtedly the best compromise there is, but it is without a shadow of a doubt a compromise. the gt2 and gt3 are for people who HAVE to drive to the track, but if a trailer was available to them few people would not prefer to be in a cup car or any other deidcated race car on the track.

Get a beautiful porsche for the road, one with 4 seats. 997 or 993, whatever pleases the eye the most and then get a real track porsche, slicks, no clearance, minimal weight, noisy transmission.... i.e. all the good stuff. It doesn't even matter which one.

Take your budget figure out what % goes on garage queen (as you call it) and what goes for the track and then (after having fiddled with the overall buget more than your wife would like) get the best ones out there.

Quick Reply: 993 gt2 and 997 gt2 finally meet (pics of course)