Question to orange/green RS owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 AM
hkim80
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to orange/green RS owners

I love orange RS.

But, do any orange RS owners find the color too flashy, especially if you drive it on the streets a lot?

All the colors associated with RS are flashy, orange and green being more so.
And I was just thinking that many people who loved orange or green probably opted either for a regular GT3 or a black RS with orange trim because they felt the colors were too loud.

I am not considering a RS now, but this came to my mind as I went along with my friend to pick up his lotus elise. My friend loved orange elise but ended up getting a white 240s because he felt that the conservative color would allow him to drive and enjoy the car more often. I was hoping that he would get an orange car.

How do you feel about the loud color on your RS? Do you feel that you get too much attention/reaction?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

it's flashy only if you want it to be.
i drive my orange RS in the slow lane, during traffic hours all the time.
no one really seem to notice.
dont worry, it's just a car. ricers get a lot more attention.

on the other hand, my yellow elise and silver exige gets a lot of attention and cause several small accidents as ppl trying to take pix of the insect car.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:26 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

That is a personal preference. It also depends on where you live in my opinion. I lie in a smaller city that is more conservative. I felt the orange was flashy on the street. I loved it on the track though.
It did bring attention on the street!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
That is a personal preference. It also depends on where you live in my opinion. I lie in a smaller city that is more conservative. I felt the orange was flashy on the street. I loved it on the track though.
It did bring attention on the street!
you are right about location.
i am surrounded by scuderia, 430, bentley CGT, lambo and the like. the RS is very tame around SF.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
you are right about location.
i am surrounded by scuderia, 430, bentley CGT, lambo and the like. the RS is very tame around SF.
I wish I had that problem. I hate standing out!
The other day I saw a bright yellow Vette and thought "He must be trying to compensate".
Then I thought "Hey I used to have a Speed Yellow Porsche GT3 and an Orange RS! Maybe I am the one trying to compensate?"
Old 08-15-2008, 05:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

I don't feel like my RS gets so much attention that I get annoyed or anything, I think people are just looking because it's loud when I rev it up. lots of flashy colors and cars around both LA and Dallas though
Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you want an RS, you need to want all of it. If you don't like flash, then don't get an RS. My belief.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

I use Kermit 95% for autocross. When I drive it to the events there is almost always somebody pulling up to take pix with their phone, same when I trailer it. Last year it was a bit more street friendly and I had to be carefull where I went because certain areas would bring ricers out of the cracks to challenge me. I just ignored them, until I would come to a highway on ramp.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
daedton
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an orange RS and live in Colorado so it stands out like crazy and I'd always prefer to be anonymous.....but that said, I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I love this color and the green too. the 70's colors really are symbolic to me. My advice, is get what YOU WANT period and don't sweat what anyone else thinks....it's only flashy if you THINK it's flashy.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:48 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish mine were white. I agree with your friend, but I also prefer white on the Exige.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the green. I love it..would change absolutely nothing.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:40 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 880 Likes on 365 Posts

I have an orange RS...I think the color plus the sound of the sharkwerks bypass does garner a fair amount of attention. My good friends say the car suits my personality!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the orange also it gets a lot of positive attention, people curious many compliments etc. in NYC last weekend the tour guide on an open top double decker tour bus started talking about the car over the PA system to the entire city block.

I think the color is great for THIS car. I have seen a few of the boxters recently with the orange/black scheme and it does not work as well.

I would not want it on my 993, really IMO with any car the color has to suit the car and the car the color based on the lines shape, hard top soft top etc.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
SolidRS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Location location location--I live a small town of 20,000. As a well known contractor in the area, I used to care what people would think when I had my nearly invisible slate grey gt3--when the Orange RS came into my life, I had to confront my own insecurities b/c the RS is like a family member--you're gonna love it and you are going to have to deal with it. That being said, I don't ever drive it into town during peak hours--Like it or not, people do make lame judgements. In a town of humus munchers and Prius aficionados, the RS is a real bastard child--an I love it!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:50 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidRS
In a town of humus munchers and Prius aficionados, the RS is a real bastard child--an I love it!
just tell those hippies you can get over 25mpg on the highway when you feel like it

Quick Reply: Question to orange/green RS owners