Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2

As posted before my PCCB rotors were toast after about 10 track days. The wear circles looked like someone took a chisel and gouged out material and parts of the rest of the surface were starting to flake off. The replacement cost was $3500 per rotor so I decided to switch to iron. I don't know if the PCCB problem was my early driving style with TC/SC kicking in, a design problem or a combination of several factors and not knowing if it would happen again dictated a lower cost option.

On Friday I took the GT2 down to Sharkwerks for Brembo two piece iron rotors on front and rear. Fronts are 380mm Type III 72-vein rotors at a cost of $2,595 for both. Rears are 350mm Type III at a cost of 1,995 for both. Best of all, replacement cost is about half that as the hats can be used again. Pictures of both are on the Sharkwerks web site. Note the fronts require a special motorsports pad with a smaller backing plate so it clears the hats(They are Pagid yellows). Alex has posted pictures on 6speed.

Took the car to Laguna yesterday and was pleased with the conversion. I didn't notice any drop off in braking performance and actually felt the Iron rotors gave better brake feel and control. This may just be new toy syndrome--I did it so it must be better. Also, the iron rotors were easier on pads--not as much wear and not as much discoloring due to heat.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the pics - very nice, but why didn't you use your old hats (from your PCCBs) to save money?

Are rears also 72-vane?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rodjac
As posted before my PCCB rotors were toast after about 10 track days. The wear circles looked like someone took a chisel and gouged out material and parts of the rest of the surface were starting to flake off. The replacement cost was $3500 per rotor so I decided to switch to iron. I don't know if the PCCB problem was my early driving style with TC/SC kicking in, a design problem or a combination of several factors and not knowing if it would happen again dictated a lower cost option.

On Friday I took the GT2 down to Sharkwerks for Brembo two piece iron rotors on front and rear. Fronts are 380mm Type III 72-vein rotors at a cost of $2,595 for both. Rears are 350mm Type III at a cost of 1,995 for both. Best of all, replacement cost is about half that as the hats can be used again. Pictures of both are on the Sharkwerks web site. Note the fronts require a special motorsports pad with a smaller backing plate so it clears the hats(They are Pagid yellows). Alex has posted pictures on 6speed.

Took the car to Laguna yesterday and was pleased with the conversion. I didn't notice any drop off in braking performance and actually felt the Iron rotors gave better brake feel and control. This may just be new toy syndrome--I did it so it must be better. Also, the iron rotors were easier on pads--not as much wear and not as much discoloring due to heat.
Hey rodjac, seriously thanks for the report and really glad they're working out for you. For guys with 380mm PCCB's this is the best way to go I think. If we get our car out there more this year that's what we'll likely be doing on the RS as well. They do add a bit of weight back but the cooling properties are so good that you can also run a more aggressive pad (should you want/need) and of course replacements aren't nearly as $ as the ceramics!

I've got some pix etc....

Here we are swapping the PCCB rotors out for some 380MM assemblies that use full race Type III 72 vane wide annulus two piece rotors.

Stock fronts coming off...

Here are the fronts installed...

Stock rears (these are something all 997TT & GT2 PCCB owners need to keep an eye on) about to come off:

Comparison...

On go the brembo rotors in the back...

Off home... Oh and you do get brake dust now
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Porsche won't warranty them??
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE, sucks about the wear though :/ Why I always run steel rotors on my GT2, Ceramics are sitting in the boxes!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Rocket: I never thought about using the PCCB hats. Anyway the fronts still look fine so I put all the PCCB stuff in a box to save in case I need to restore the car to stock.

Crazy Canuck: No warranty coverage because of track use.

iLLM3: I wish I had your foresight and had taken the ceramics off right away. Live and learn.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rodjac
Rocket: I never thought about using the PCCB hats. Anyway the fronts still look fine so I put all the PCCB stuff in a box to save in case I need to restore the car to stock.

Crazy Canuck: No warranty coverage because of track use.

iLLM3: I wish I had your foresight and had taken the ceramics off right away. Live and learn.
I'd be screaming for warranty. Spend $200k on a Porsche and the damn brakes which are almost indestructable according to Porsche wear out. I'd then put the new rotors away safely and run the irons.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My car has brake dust after track use that looks like sand, I am scared the rotors on the rear will not last long.
I think Porsche over did the computer safety devices, trying to rid the widow maker title!
Did you know you can not turn off your PASM, which I do not like!

Can you use the P50 Motorsports pads on the front and rears with these rotors?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
My car has brake dust after track use that looks like sand, I am scared the rotors on the rear will not last long.
I think Porsche over did the computer safety devices, trying to rid the widow maker title!

FALSE. PSM (SC in the GT2) and TC can be TURNED OFF and it will not come back on, even if you go to a drifting contest in your GT2.

If you leave TC ON and are hard on the gas you will overuse the rears as the brakes are what prevents the rear tires from spinning. 99% of the problems I've seen people have with GT3 and GT2 rear brakes are because of the use of TC. Just take it off and be sensitive with the throttle (Especially in a GT2).

Also the P50 pads are the "track" pads for PCCB but they are a LOT harder on the rotors. Contrary to steels', the PCCB OEM pads work fine at the track. They do wear relatively fast (4 - 2 hour track days for the fronts?) but are a lot easier on the rotors.

I've had no problems with my GT2 brakes and I've always driven it with SC and TC off, even as a daily driver on the street and through the winter.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Z06: Don't know about the P50 pads use with iron rotors. I suspect the fronts will not work because the rotor design requires a pad with a smaller backing plate so it clears the places where the rotor mounts to the hat. The rear rotors will take any pads but I don't know how the compound would work. Interesting question since I have a set of partially used and a set of new P50's for the rear. Maybe Alex can chime in with an answer.

cgomez: I did start out with TC/SC on and maybe that was the cause or rotor problem. But, at the cost I wasn't going to try again with new ceramic rears. After one track day I really like the iron rotors.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06

Hey Z06, rears accept any of them the fronts require a narrow annulus pad which brembo does provide (based upon the pagid yellow).
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cgomez
FALSE. PSM (SC in the GT2) and TC can be TURNED OFF and it will not come back on, even if you go to a drifting contest in your GT2.

If you leave TC ON and are hard on the gas you will overuse the rears as the brakes are what prevents the rear tires from spinning. 99% of the problems I've seen people have with GT3 and GT2 rear brakes are because of the use of TC. Just take it off and be sensitive with the throttle (Especially in a GT2).

Also the P50 pads are the "track" pads for PCCB but they are a LOT harder on the rotors. Contrary to steels', the PCCB OEM pads work fine at the track. They do wear relatively fast (4 - 2 hour track days for the fronts?) but are a lot easier on the rotors.

I've had no problems with my GT2 brakes and I've always driven it with SC and TC off, even as a daily driver on the street and through the winter.
On my previous Z06 the SC was very mild, it would allow slight drift, my friends new Evo it's computer allows it to rotate ever so slightly.
On the GT2 the computers limits are set for granny driving!

I ment PASM, suspenison..shocks, I would like to replace the dampers but the computer will shut down, thinking there is an error in the system. There is no method of doing this.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:57 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
On my previous Z06 the SC was very mild, it would allow slight drift, my friends new Evo it's computer allows it to rotate ever so slightly.
On the GT2 the computers limits are set for granny driving!

I ment PASM, suspenison..shocks, I would like to replace the dampers but the computer will shut down, thinking there is an error in the system. There is no method of doing this.
You mean the computer limits with PSM ON? The solution is to take it OFF and You driver the car, not the computers.

I see. PASM doesnt have anything to do with the brakes. I think it has been done by some Euro Tuners. I saw a several GT3 and GT2 and the NRing running non-stock suspensions/shocks

Last edited by cgomez; 06-10-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:01 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
There is always a way - just hasn't been found yet or the person(s) that know just haven't spoken up yet.

Could even be a simple resistor type trick used for airbags.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cgomez
You mean the computer limits with PSM ON? The solution is to take it OFF and You driver the car, not the computers.

I see. PASM doesnt have anything to do with the brakes. I think it has been done by some Euro Tuners. I saw a several GT3 and GT2 and the NRing running non-stock suspensions/shocks

The stock GT2 computer is to intrusive, drive at 6 to 7 tenths or more and you destroy your rear brakes, what a joke that is...it's ticking time bomb!
On a Z06 or an Evo the limit is more like 8 to 9 tenths and they still don't self destruct.

Why is it wrong to expect a $200K car to have a system that will allow you to track it at 8 to 9 tenths like the other cars without the destruction of it's brakes?

Maybe your a great driver and are willing to take a chance or maybe you don't drive it at the limit, I am wimp with no driver aids the most I will push is 7 tenths...not willing to take a chance at a lapping day with my $200k car, at least not at a high speed track like Mosport, if it was at a safer track no problem.

I do not like how the stock PASM damper pitches, rolls and bounces... I have checked with all the Euro tuners nobody has a fix as of now for the PASM on a 7GT2.

997gt3 North,
Your correct on how they are going about fixing it, TechArt has dumy circuits on there Bilstein damper that does not function as PASM.

Manthey said that it's not a problem, but if you buy a KW system from them they will not give a money back gauranty if it does not work...because our mechanics don't know what they are doing it's not Manthey's fault?
BS!

Quick Reply: Report on PCCB to iron rotors for my GT2