Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Yet another order / spec question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another order / spec question

About to spec my GT3, looking to minimize gadgets.

Other than the sport bucket seats thinking of going with the basic lighter headlights, dynamic engine mounts and not thrilled but the front lift system will come handy in many situations.

Does anyone know the weight of the front lift system, and I seem to have read somewhere that the new front spoiler is not as easily replaceable as with my previous 997 GT3?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The system weight of all components of the Front Axle Lift System is approximately 13 lbs (6 kg).

Lightweight headlights (optional) reduce the vehicle weight by approximately 4 lbs (6 kg). [Real weight is a ?? as this is what the
product news says, great proofreading]

Last edited by MJones; 06-11-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Adam2S
Instructor

I think you will find the front lip is just as replaceable as the mk1 lip - however its 10mm lower and the stick out design is such that it is more likely to catch and stick rather than just scrape. I imagine it is therefore far more likely to actaully damage the whole front bumper not just the lip meaning the cost of "scraping" may be far far more... Indeed I can even forsee a situation where its physically not possible to drive over some tall speed bumps or steep driveways.

I think front lift is going to be essential unless your car is parked in a garage just off the side of a race track.

6kg is nothing! its around 0.5% of the weight of the car, I really really dont believe anybody here could tell the difference on a track of 6kg. Not buying it for weight is a nonsense - if you dont want to pay the rather pricey cost then thats fair enough... Get the front lift and go to the gym to shed a few pounds instead! Best of both worlds....
Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was much heavier than 6kg.

Also the online configurator lists the headlights as 13.2lbs - if its really 4lbs not worth it.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

A gallon of gasoline weighs (5.93 to 6.42 lbs), depending on temperature, type and blend, the car holds 17.7 gallons, if you use 6lbs per gallon = 106lbs. Fill it with 8 gallons and you'll save 58lbs. That's a difference you'll notice.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

personally i dont care for the front axel lift system, one more thing to break.
but i will NOT give up on the xenon lights. you NEED them on your way home from track in the dark or rain.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 AM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Good perspective on weight based on gas, etc. Thanks.

Still there is an **** aspect to weight savings - as an active Ironman event athlete I get the concept of personal weight, and the ounce level of savings on the bike or run shoe concern.

As a slow but dedicated track driver that currently owns a Radical and Exige I find it hard to "load up" a GT3 with anything that doesn't need to be there.

Separately now that I have discovered the simplicity of towing a light open trailer (Featherlight in my case) I can't imagine not towing to the track - outside of tires, spares and nice to have tools, etc. it feels great to get into a comfy SUV even if its raining, or the track car becomes disabled, etc. So no need for the nicer headlights in my case.

Yes, besides the weight I do worry about one more thing to break with the lift system. I had it on a Lambo and it worked great, but I never tracked that one. But my old 997 GT3 would scrape in my driveway and at work, so 4x / drive day. Factor ease of loading onto a trailer, lift system has merit.

Last edited by RQ_GT3; 06-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3
About to spec my GT3, looking to minimize gadgets.

Other than the sport bucket seats thinking of going with the basic lighter headlights, dynamic engine mounts and not thrilled but the front lift system will come handy in many situations.

Does anyone know the weight of the front lift system, and I seem to have read somewhere that the new front spoiler is not as easily replaceable as with my previous 997 GT3?
I ordered my 997 GT3.1 with the base lights for several reasons. Weight was number one, the fact that you have to get the silly washers was number two, and lastly the complexity of the system (self leveling lights with extra parts on the uprights, and of course the whole washer system - which I would never use though). 90 percent of my driving is during the day anyway, and at night I just keep my speed down.

Many say that you will not feel the 13 lbs of the lights, or the 14 of the lift system, and I agree. But it is the little things that can add up to a lot in the end. Together they are 27 lbs, and if you decide to put your GT3 on a diet, that will help very much depending on your end goal.

As for the lift system. I also do not like the complexity, and if you do upgrade to a really nice set of springs and dampers for the track in the future, then it will no longer function.

At my skill level I am happy with the stock suspension for now, but for next season I will be doing some major upgrades on all parts of the suspension. Probably the parts that allow for a better and more accurate (and stable) alignment set up first, but then soon to be followed by the dampers and springs.

Light is right!
Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy bummer

I just finished my GT3 order and was extremely disappointed to learn that neither the front end lift system, nor the center lock wheels will be offered for US cars. I don't get it to be honest. What could possibly be the liability issues associated with either???? What a bummer. Still, for the money it's a heck of vehicle!! Anyone else disappointed???
Old 06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,459 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by labcars
I just finished my GT3 order and was extremely disappointed to learn that neither the front end lift system, nor the center lock wheels will be offered for US cars. I don't get it to be honest. What could possibly be the liability issues associated with either???? What a bummer. Still, for the money it's a heck of vehicle!! Anyone else disappointed???
Wow? are you sure?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,459 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I ordered my 997 GT3.1 with the base lights for several reasons. Weight was number one, the fact that you have to get the silly washers was number two, and lastly the complexity of the system (self leveling lights with extra parts on the uprights, and of course the whole washer system - which I would never use though). 90 percent of my driving is during the day anyway, and at night I just keep my speed down.

Many say that you will not feel the 13 lbs of the lights, or the 14 of the lift system, and I agree. But it is the little things that can add up to a lot in the end. Together they are 27 lbs, and if you decide to put your GT3 on a diet, that will help very much depending on your end goal.

As for the lift system. I also do not like the complexity, and if you do upgrade to a really nice set of springs and dampers for the track in the future, then it will no longer function.

At my skill level I am happy with the stock suspension for now, but for next season I will be doing some major upgrades on all parts of the suspension. Probably the parts that allow for a better and more accurate (and stable) alignment set up first, but then soon to be followed by the dampers and springs.

Light is right!
Not sure I would prefer 13lbs over the front axle ... every little counts!

While the lift system is nice, I agree about the weight/complexity etc
Old 06-14-2009, 11:45 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Wow? are you sure?
Yup, I'm sure. 5 lug wheels offered only. That's more disappointing to me than the absence of the lift system.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by labcars
Yup, I'm sure. 5 lug wheels offered only. That's more disappointing to me than the absence of the lift system.
Where do dealers come up with this info??
CL wheels ARE standard!

Don't get me wrong as I would love for that to be true as I have more than one set of 5 lug wheels, but it seems that that will not be the case

The letter was in response to the question "can 5 lug wheels be ordered in place of CL's.

Love the quip there will be no need to invest in any special equipment.

Last time I looked in my tool box there was no 3/4" LONG breaker bar, torque wrench that will handle 350# or torque multiplier. Nor do I believe that the local tire shop has those "common toolsl" to remove/replace your wheels.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

"MJones" can you please post this letter on the "2010 GT3 Centerlock Wheel torque multiplier wrench" thread as well. Thank you....I did not want to do it without your permission.

One could read this letter to say that Porsche is supplying the tools to remove and replace the new centerlock wheel, but I am sure there will be no special compact torque multipling wrench, more likely, just the special 3/4 inch drive socket only.

The centerlock wheels as standard equipment has been my biggest worry about my order.....honestly I would have been much happier having the outgoing 5 bolt wheels (and I do not even own a track set!). My gut feel it is that there will be problems (i.e. with the new system or by people not torquing /installing them properly).

And hey, I was not big on the styling initially, however, the new centerlocks are growing on me. Perhaps, I will really like them when I see them in the flesh. We'll see!

Cheers!
Doug N

Last edited by DJN; 06-16-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 AM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Lots of confusion

I spoke with Jason at PCNA yesterday about all the confusion regarding the centerlocks. He has promised to investigate and get back to me with the most current information. I will report back them. I hope I'm wrong............

Quick Reply: Yet another order / spec question