Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

While in Germany...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default While in Germany...

…..We have been quite busy. Arrived Monday morning in Frankfurt then took the train to Stuttgart. It was a struggle to work through the jet lag, but things improved with each day. Tuesday we went to the Porsche Museum in the morning. What a great presentation it makes! You can run through it on your own or use a headset of theirs or hire a guide. We went through it on our own on Tuesday and then hired a guide on Wednesday.

Name:  MuseumS.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  102.5 KB

So Wednesday was the big day of picking up the 2010 GT3. This did make it difficult to get to sleep Tuesday night. I even tried to sleep with my helmet on thinking that this would comfort me in getting my new track car the next day. No such luck in this method and do not recommend it. I did get some sleep, but the anticipation did get the better of me.

Name:  GT3SleepS.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  96.8 KB

I am told that I am the first American to actually get his hands on his own 2010 GT3. Some of you may have heard the program is suspended right now. Fortunately this did not affect me. It sounds like we may have been the last Americans to come through also. What we were picking up was a Carrara white 2010 GT3, sport bucket seats, lightweight headlights and floor mats and that is it!!! So the day went very well. We get to the factory at 8:30, chat a little, then we go “upstairs” to see the new addition to the P collection. WOW, love at first sight!!!

Name:  GT3PickupS.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  GT3FactoryS.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  GT3MuseumS.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  133.2 KB

After this process we are off on our factory tour! This is such a great experience!!! You see all these 911s being produced, floating down the production line. I will post more details about this at a later date as it is a story in itself. I have a special treat from this later on. BTW, 99% of new engines are cold tested, 1% hot tested, and 100% of GT3 engines are hot tested. However, here is the most interesting thing I found out. We are on the tour during their 5 minute hourly break. There are guys in the corner drinking beer! I asked the tour guide who they were and he said they are workers and that the drinking was acceptable. WOW, ummmm that’s cool, I guess…..

Then after the factory tour as part of the Euro Delivery package you get a lunch upstairs. The food was very nice and the view of the Museum right across the road was great. Then after lunch we go back to the museum for our guided tour. Also picked up some cool stuff at the Porsche Drivers Selection store.

Name:  GT3HouseS.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  99.6 KB

Name:  GT3Alps5S.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  118.7 KB

Our next stop was the Alps. I must admit I had permagrin driving out the gate of the factory and the whole drive down to the Alps. Wait, I have had permagrin for the past several days. We proceeded down south through Austria, down along the Swiss boarder, then headed east as some point and are now in Italy. This morning we are headed up through Fussen to our destination tonight of Rothenberg. Saturday morning we are going to some small town called Nurburg, or something like that. Not sure what is there, but will explore the area around the town a little. Caren is returning this Sunday morning, but I am here with the car til Wednesday July 15. This leaves me with plenty of time to explore the car and this wonderful part of the world.

Name:  GT3Alps3S.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  GT3AlpsS.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  132.4 KB

As far as impressions of the car, KICK **** is all I can say! I cannot really lay down the power just yet until it is broken in a little more. I will say however that on the roads it feels great! It will take a suspension alignment and some track time to give the full impression for sure. I do not have any doubts about its potential. The car surely does command some attention on the road. You see many people looking at the car. At one point we passed that tour group that travels around in Porsches, I don’t remember the name. We beeped and put on the sport exhaust and revved up the engine a little for them as we passed and got a lot of thumbs up! I think so far the greatest joy is going through those avalanche tunnels along the mountains and putting on the sport exhaust and just listening! WHAT A GREAT SOUND!!! The echo off the tunnel are just fabulous. We even try this through some valley areas. Just can’t get enough of that! The whole experience of European Delivery is just awesome and I am sad to know it is suspended right now.

Name:  GT3ItalyTownS.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  101.4 KB

We have made some new friends along the way…

Name:  NewFriendS.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  124.2 KB

Name:  NewFriendCowS.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  134.2 KB

Well that is enough for now. Will post more as time goes on.

Michael
Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

looks like a good time!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats michael. what a car and what a great way to get acquainted to the new GT3.

no xenon lights? must be very lightly optioned for purity?

and confirmed no sunroof.... YES.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM
BerryS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simply awesome.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Ahhhh forgot about the sunroof controversy......

NO SUNROOF

Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
congrats michael. what a car and what a great way to get acquainted to the new GT3.

no xenon lights? must be very lightly optioned for purity?

and confirmed no sunroof.... YES.

Thanks Moots! This car will be used almost exclusively for its designed purpose, the track. Therefore low optioned back to basics theme.

Driving the car over here in the Alps is just such a great experience. The roads just lend themselves to excitement. Then to boot there is a new picture around every turn. This is such a great trip and strongly urge everybod to do this at least once. Just make it happen!
Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 AM
sl33p3r
4th Gear

Nice shots bro, thanks for sharing.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
green
Pro

Great writeup and pics! Enjoy it in good health.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:53 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting your story and these awesopme pics!! Factory delivery is on the list for my next Porsche, that's for sure!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

What a story and what an experience. Just got up with my morning cup of coffee and I see your post.

Great way to start the day!

Congratulations on your new GT3, and thanks for the great post!

BTW you mention sport exhaust. I wasn't aware that PSE was standard, or available???
Old 07-03-2009, 09:02 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

You are making some great memories, to be sure. Thanks for sharing, and the great photos.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Greygt3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lucky dog!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM
James A
Advanced

Wow, now I know that PCNA had better keep Euro delivery around!!!
Excellent pictures, thank you.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Thanks for the photo essay and Congratulations!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATS MIKE, jealous man, since the day you told me at Monticello lol...

Will I be seeing it in August at any events? Can't wait to check it out, have fun and be safe over there, you must be above ecstatic!

Quick Reply: While in Germany...