Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Is this Fair? Dissed by Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:36 AM
leed012
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this Fair? Dissed by Dealer!

Fellow Porschephiles, at one time or another, we have all purchased a new car from the dealer. As a repeat customer, how were you treated? In consideration of buying a new car or two, were you treated fair or dissed by the Sales Manager?
This is my dilema and it is not out of anger but out of inconsideration from the dealer taking advantage of customer service. My passion for Porsche dates back to 1986 and since then I have owned a number of Porsches including 5 new porsches, the newest one would have been with this sale of a '10GT3. I have been a past president of our local PCA region and worked for the dealer for 5 years in sales. I have always supported the dealership within the past 7 years. I resigned from Porsche sales on good terms in late '07 and continued my support to the local dealer. Last week my ordered GT3 arrived and I was anxiously awaiting delivery. My financing was appv'd, tier 1 and I asked for a consideration to help smooth the edges of my $122K+ GT3. It would have made sense to continue our relationship in good standing as I have always continued to send referrals to the dealership and past customers. Instead, I was offerred nothing , no counter, no key chain and told that the price is set and that there are two other parties ready to buy your car if you don't want it, all within the same sentence. What are your thoughts? Is this the way your Sales Manager handles his/her customers, let alone repeat customers? What would you do if you were in my place? What is the major principle of sales 101?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my GT3, the sales experience was not ideal. I tolerated the BS because it was the last configurable GT3 in the Canadian marketplace for 2007. All of my friends told me I was an idiot for putting up with the BS when buying a CAD$162k car, especially when the same car was selling across the border for US$120k and our dollar was on par.

In hindsight, I should have told the salesperson to shove the GT3 up his *** and walked out the door. We work very hard for our money and there is always another deal around the corner. I don't want to be treated like royalty, I just want to be treated the way my dad was treated when he bought his Honda Accord, with a basic level of respect.

If your dealer is not treating you in the way you expect to be treated, you should walk and either find a dealer that will or move to another brand. I will never again tolerate what I did in purchasing this car; live and learn. I should add that the dealership experience became 100x better upon delivery of my car; I also now have a new salesperson that I deal with that is completely opposite to the one I purchased the car from.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Timmy
Cruisin'

Whoa, sorry to hear this happened. I still have my 10' GT3 on order, my dealer called me with the rates that Porsche released for the car and it made me wish I had taken advantage of first mile on an 09 S, but from what I have read the Gt3 will not disappoint and I am getting it just the way I want it. I do agree that the dealership has a responsibility to do their utmost to make you as a customer satisfied with the transaction. Since you mentioned you worked at the dealer previously didn't you agree on figures before ordering the car? I have always made a point to make sure I know exactly what kind of deal I am getting upfront. Said reality is with these type of cars is that dealers don't have to be flexible since someone will pay what they want. In the case of my GT3 I was just happy to get it for MSRP without any hassles, I've seen a few dealers putting dealer mark ups on these cars.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

As to speak with his/her boss. In the meantime send the boss a letter which states basically what your post said.

This should get the ball moving in your direction, if not, they don't deserve your business.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Don't get me wrong and I might not know the details but aren't you suppose to finalize the paperwork prior to ordering the car?? What you basically did was to put the dealership against the wall at the very last minute (upon delivery) and I think his manners even though sounded rude, were not done out of spite but more as a reflex.

It's like if you were selling a car over the web, the buyer and you agree on all the terms and upon pick up, he tries to negotiate on the price.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
leed012
Intermediate

I remember once being told while approaching to negotiate the price for an ordered car, I presented it to the desk and they told me, "Isn't that putting the cart before the horse...?" We'll take a look when the car arrives.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
U4IA187
Advanced

I understand that the dealership probably does have a line (albeit short) for GT3 purchases, but that doesnt excuse them from acting in courteous professional manner.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Regretfully, it sounds like a tactic that they have used to ensure there is no negotiation- take the order, avoid discussing price until the car arrives and you are emotionally attached having specced and waited and then hitting you with the full whack.... Pretty low act from a shameless bunch of clowns.

If you aren't happy (and I wouldn't be!), walk away! They're not worthy of your custom. You may miss out on an early delivery, they lose out on a customer for life. Go to the next dealer and give the business to those who want it. NO car is that important that you compromise your integrity & allow someone to treat you like ****! especially when you have done so much for them and these cars are so readily available down the road thanks to the economic times...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM
CoRS
Instructor

Time to walk away if you can. No excuse for that kind of attitude as they should be glad anyone is walking in their door!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
leed012
Intermediate

Sales have dropped like so many other dealers across the country but it is these actions that cause customers to leave and shop elsewhere. If you continue to respect and tend to your customers no matter what economy is at hand, your customers will more than likely stick to your side out of loyalty and customer service. They will even pay the price because they were treated fairly. It's just common sense. Obviously, the Sales manager and Finance Manager must have missed this class!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do not have to buy the car. The only way to come out ahead is if you are willing to walk away. THey are being dicks for not at least giving you a hat. I guess in your location they do not care knowing that you can not do better since shipping a car from the mainland is costly.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:07 PM
chardonet
Racer

Can't recall, but how many Porsche dealers are in Hawaii? The dilemma may be that there is no other dealer alternative in HI.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
leed012
Intermediate

Yes, there is only 1 dealer in Hawaii.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tell him to f himself, you should be treated like royalty.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So....what have you decided to do?

Quick Reply: Is this Fair? Dissed by Dealer!