Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

At least this hobby is cheaper than aviation...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default At least this hobby is cheaper than aviation...

When I bought my C2S Cab off the lot 30 months ago I figured the odds were good that I wouldn't own it a year later. At the time I was treating the 911 as a bit of an experiment. I wasn't certain if I'd enjoy the rear weight bias or if I'd appreciate the quirks of the 911's handling. I figured that within a year I'd know for sure one way or the other if the experiment "took" and I'd either want to get rid of the car or trade it for one that was specced to my precise desires. As so often happens, life intruded, and my 12 month plan stretched out into a 30 month plan. For one thing, I misjudged my eventual love for the slightly goofy dealership option list in my guards red cab. Despite the fact that every Porsche dealer on the planet seems to live in some alternate universe where we all want to buy cars with a sports chronos, car phones, and no leather, my first Porsche and I got along swimmingly. Doubly so once I took it to a track.

The upsides? In 30 months I put 33,000 street miles (and I worked from home with no commute for most of that time) and another 3,000 track miles on the car. I developed a passion for intentional throttle-lift oversteer. It's been bliss. The downsides? 52% depreciation over those 30 months and I bought enough tires to build a wall the whole way from my house to the pub down the street.

It was a move from Austin to Houston that finally prompted a change, now 18 months delayed from initial projection. Houston humidity conspires to keep the top up on the cabriolet 10 months out of the year. Out on the track I feel like I'm starting to outgrow the convertible's handling. In the green group it fit in well, but as I carve my way through yellow and envision a move to red next year the car looks increasingly out of place. In short, I got wandering eyes for a coupe.

I did all those usual and familiar things which will echo in the minds of everyone here on the boards: I vacillated for a few months checking out deals. I wrung my hands over the intractable "PDK vs 6 speed" debate which only became more wrenching once I drove a PDK. I had the "Build Your Porsche" web app open all day long on my computer at work, perpetually designing my New Perfect 911™.

Then, disaster struck. The worst peril that can afflict any Porsche enthusiast ever: I drove a GT3 at Texas World Speedway in June. From June until now the path has been as clear as I can imagine.

I ruled out getting on the list for a 2010. I don't think I want to be on the bleeding edge of centerlock track wheels and optioning one the way I'd want puts it just a little bit past my budget point. I was also dismayed to learn that Euro Delivery was cancelled, which was another strike. Besides, I plan to run the hell out of the car and maybe dodging the first few years of depreciation makes sense. It's not like I was going to be grooming this car for Concours d'Elegance. In July I spotted silverstreak996's '07 Silver RS at my local dealer while I was getting some work done to my car and was gobsmacked at how reasonable the price tag was. I checked Max Power's excellent GT3 RS Registry, though, and the car seemed to have a sketchy history. Still, I took a shot at a lowball offer on the car but the dealer and I were never able to come to an agreement on price. Eventually the car got shuffled off to some other dealership and I dropped the issue.

Last Saturday my girlfriend and I were trading stories of epic road trips we'd taken. She's a bigger car nut than I am (and a better driver, to boot, which I never cease to appreciate). She was telling me about the Natchez Trace Parkway that she'd driven with her family as a teenager. It's a nice, fun 444 mile long road that runs Southwest out of Nashville and comprises the bulk of the drive between Nashville and our home in Houston. I joked that it would be awesome to buy a GT3 from a dealership near the top of that road and then road trip back.

a few minutes passed...

I googled "Porsche Nashville" and ended up looking at a Black GT3 RS for sale in Nashville that had /just arrived/ on the lot. cars.com hadn't heard about the car - it wasn't in the Porsche Pre-Owned tool - nothing. Options are not quite what I liked, but they are minimal which I did.

I stewed all weekend...

I called the dealership first thing on Monday morning and learned that they'd just taken the car in trade from a guy named johndgt3 who doesn't have a lot to say on a newer, shinier Porsche. They hadn't even had time to prep the car for sale yet. Over the next three or four days we came to an agreement on price, figured out how to "trade in" my C2S from 800 miles away, and I signed all the paperwork today. This Friday we'll be flying up to Nashville and driving the RS home. I've already got two track days scheduled (Harris Hill Road on the 12th and then Texas World Speedway on 3/4 October). I'm giddy beyond belief. As of this morning, VIN 2837 belongs to me.

I'm a die hard Porsche nut who dreams of RS Americas and 73 RSs five nights a week. I can't believe I'm going to own this thing. I have the utmost respect for RonCT's experiences going from a GT3 to a 997.2 C2S, and took his wisdom to heart, but there's a passion to this car that transcends the new PASM for me.

Sharky's already drop-shipped some cargraphic grills for the dealer to install this week and I ordered the original alcantara gt3 steering wheel from Suncoast to replace the leather one that the original owner preferred.

Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Expect pictures from our road trip home. It's not quite as epic as tcsracing1's, but it's mine.

Last edited by Nugget; 09-01-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

congrats.
i owned two of these things. you will LOVE it.
post some pix. these are great machines.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Then, disaster struck. The worst peril that can afflict any Porsche enthusiast ever: I drove a GT3 at Texas World Speedway in June.
Hey Nugget, great talking to you and that quote right there is my favorite line. I have to say when Snowboarder let me drive his so early on in late 06 I was done for....

You're going to enjoy this car. What a car:P

PS Pleasure on the screens!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

man, you just gotta love the GT3 , and the RS for people like us who always have them on the brain 5 nights a week is just spectacular!

i love reading your post about how your RS came to be. I totally know the feeling!

If you dont already have a sharkwerks bi pass and tips, then i suggest you get it right away! It is ultimatly how the car should have come from the factory! It gives it the classic 911 sound that modern porsches just dont pronounce anymore.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the drive back. I used to live in Mississippi and have great memories of driving the Natchez Trace. Whatever the weather, this is an amazing road!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Great post. Congratulations.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good story. You're a true "die hard" Porsche nut.

Enjoy the road home.

Congrats. I'm green (maybe blue) with envy!

Phil
Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Nugget
Then, disaster struck. The worst peril that can afflict any Porsche enthusiast ever: I drove a GT3 at Texas World Speedway in June.
Hi Nugget - I knew this would happen after I've read and enjoyed your earlier enthusiastic posts about your track adventures with the 997 S cab

Good to know that another dream machine is finding a good home where it will be treated like it should.

Many congrats on a fantastic car and I'm looking forward to the pics and reports from the track.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!! Post some pics please.

I am hoping to be at TWS that particular Oct. wknd. But I will prolly be in my Spec Miata.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

great post and congratulations!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet, and thanks for linking us from the other car forum. I have the bug too.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations are in order, this car is definitely the toy for you. You will also be amazed at how many you will rack up in driving to nowhere. I guess that there is another addition to H2R. Our local club will be at H2R on the 10th of Oct. You may want to check your schedule and join us, I would love to see a Black RS.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The 10th is just the next weekend after my TWS event, but if I'm not too worn out I'd love to swing by and gawk at all the Porsches.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the purchase Nugget!

Glad to hear that you've found the registry.
I would be happy to add some pics of your road trip to the car's page.

I would not be able to sleep tonight if I was getting one tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 AM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats, Nugget. Best on your journey...the epic road trip home and the longer one.

M

Quick Reply: At least this hobby is cheaper than aviation...