dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Could someone with a Carfax account run the VIN and post the results here, to clarify the title issue??
I did and posted the results in post #36...

It clearly states Salvage Title!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-large
Owner #3, the gentleman that Canepa purchased the car from, stated openly that the car acquired superficial damage to the tops of the front fenders and hood during the first 800 miles. It seems that Owner #1 drove under a steel cable catch fence, lightly damaging ONLY the hood and tops of the fenders.

I guess anything can happen, but how can a cable damage the Tops and the hood "superficially"?

If it is loose it would never touch the hood, or at least you would think that if it just scratched the front of the hood then when it got over the fenders there is still that much slack not to do anything but scratch?
If it was tight it would crush the fenders to reach the hood

That is assuming it is just a cable and not a cable / fence, like nascar

If it did go that way... that was one sweet save
Jerry
What the hell are you talking about? Hey wait a second, maybe we should put you in charge of reproducing this scenario. You may want to contact Myth Busters for some guidance on how to properly conduct the testing and help with considering all of the cable options such as height, girth, tension, material, temperature and humidity, etc...

When completed, you could post your findings on this thread along with the Baron's. Ted will be in charge of archiving and securing all of your's and the Baron's test data and reports.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I did and posted the results in post #36...

It clearly states Salvage Title!
I just thought a "screen shot" of the actual report would be nice for the evidence portfolio.

The "Court of Rennlist" is in session!!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I just thought a "screen shot" of the actual report would be nice for the evidence portfolio.

LOL!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe MJSPEED can forward it to Ted for archiving.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think MJSpeed did all he can; and the right thing because Carfax is quite strict about abusing their service (it does not allow someone to run queries for third parties or to publish the results.) I believe Carfax is negligent in not identifying this car as a salvage title in their free "teaser" report, below.

RANT
Personally, I don't think Carfax should exist -- the DMV should provide this service not only free, but MANDATORY, in the purchase of any car. If you're not allowed to drive down the road without insurance and a tax stamp on the license plate, you shouldn't be allowed to buy a salvage title car without it being properly rebuilt and the title branded with a new status to indicate it passed a repair inspection. It's exactly this kind of service to the community that a government should provide. They force us to pay for vehicle information to be captured throughout the life of the vehicle (apparently only for the purposes of taxation) and yet do no service to the community with the information they gather, in fact "hiding" it behind outdated systems that leave it to a third party to literally prevent consumers from being properly informed (because it costs money to run the report, so the most vulnerable buyers, say below $20K, are the ones least likely to pay for the protection.) I should also mention that I see no problem in a salvage title other than its impact on the market value of the car, especially an expensive car. If the buyer is fully informed and has a very thorough inspection (panels off, trim off, carpet out, chassis on a frame-aligner, etc.) then I see no problem in having a properly repaired car and the advantage of a car you might be more willing to track and starting from the fair point on the depreciation curve. And no, I'm not talking about the zealouos investor restoring an historic car for its provenance from little more than a steering wheel and a chassis number.
/RANT

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_orde...AC2999TS375404
Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
For the past few days, I've read 80+/- posts with only one (1) side of the argument presented. I merely presented the other side of the argument that was told to me by the accused. As a former customer I wanted to hear his side of the story. I would think that the esteemed readers of this site and thread would want to hear the other side of the disagreement before forming and opinion.

Canepas statements are no more or less unsubstantiated than those of NYC1123..... just his side of the story.

It is you who attempt to throw gas on the fire with you comment to me.
I wasn't being argumentative, I was drawing your attention to what others have since spelled out later in this thread. Unless you have a dog in this fight, you'd do well to stick to posting your opinion, not attempting to state or assert facts.

As for your subjective one-sided reading of this thread, I think it's been remarkably well balanced and even-handed give or take one or two more outraged posts. Even so, I think it's perfectly reasonable for consumers to relate to the predicament of the consumer without taking "sides."
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default salvaged 993 tt

Even if you assumed that everything the Baron posted was true (which is a big assumption) but lets play along. Dont you think it would of been nice for the dealer to disclose some of that history. I know none of that was disclosed to me. How many others inquired about the same car and how many were told that story. Again I am NOT saying that I agree with what the Baron posted but if that is the dealers story it still seems a bit different than the ad as well as what the dealer was telling people that inquired about the car.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
Even if you assumed that everything the Baron posted was true (which is a big assumption) but lets play along. Dont you think it would of been nice for the dealer to disclose some of that history. I know none of that was disclosed to me. How many others inquired about the same car and how many were told that story. Again I am NOT saying that I agree with what the Baron posted but if that is the dealers story it still seems a bit different than the ad as well as what the dealer was telling people that inquired about the car.
The dealer was likely just throwing out excuses hoping to placate a former/potential customer, not thinking through his explanation to Baron. But Baron by posting here will present a problem for the seller when he's confronted with Baron's info. In order to come off of Baron's story the seller will have to say Baron is mistaken or lying but when confronted Baron will reiterate that what he wrote is what he was told by the seller. Quite comical really. Have your lawyer get Baron's info so he can be deposed if the seller doesn't track the same story.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default salvaged 993 tt

I am not going to comment on what I think is true vs not true about the story that the dealer told the Baron but I think common sense would say that if the dealer in fact "offered" to buy back the car why have I spent the money to hire a lawyer to try and get my money back. I guess his "offer" and check got "lost in the mail"
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What if Baron and Canepa are one-in-the-same?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:58 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Originally Posted by NYC123
I am not going to comment on what I think is true vs not true about the story that the dealer told the Baron but I think common sense would say that if the dealer in fact "offered" to buy back the car why have I spent the money to hire a lawyer to try and get my money back. I guess his "offer" and check got "lost in the mail"
The story told to Baron is so full of holes it's not even worthy of a serious response, although it does tell you that the seller is grasping for excuses. No rational reader would conclude Baron's story is true and that you are lying. It's obvious that you know you went into the transaction way too trusting and would be more than happy with a refund to end the matter.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
What if Baron and Canepa are one-in-the-same?
See post #83.... I was wondering the same thing?

But my question was never answered.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I want to reserve judgment until all the facts are known. And I definitely agree that there are three sides to every story (his side, her side and then the truth). But, if as Baron claims Canepa knew of the prior damage (however minor or superficial), I find Canepa's original advertisement (quoted below, where the car is described as being in *NEW* condition) somewhat misleading. I will be curious to hear if he disclosed that damage verbally to NYC1123 prior to purchase.
I could not agree more. Assuming the Baron's recitation of the Canepa's position is accurate, disclosure was required here. To me, the failure to disclose would rise to the level of an affirmative misrepresentation. At best, the failure to disclose would be an inexcusable omission of (very) material facts (esp at the stated price point). Whichever, based upon what has been posted, Canepa should never have published the 'puffing' advert. Thats just the way I see it, but I could be wrong.. Pretty ugly.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:53 PM
4-large
Racer

Originally Posted by 340Elise
What the hell are you talking about? Hey wait a second, maybe we should put you in charge of reproducing this scenario. You may want to contact Myth Busters for some guidance on how to properly conduct the testing and help with considering all of the cable options such as height, girth, tension, material, temperature and humidity, etc...

When completed, you could post your findings on this thread along with the Baron's. Ted will be in charge of archiving and securing all of your's and the Baron's test data and reports.
Who is the "we", you come across like you are running the show...

But if you like, I will supply the cable, you bring the car. You seem like you really thought this out so what ever test you want we can do

Quick Reply: dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure