Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

10' gt3 ticking noise from wheels...help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

I hear you Peter.

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Lier

Last edited by LehmanZ06; 01-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Dealer is replacing rear wheel bearings to see if the noise will go away, and if that works, because they said the noise was actually coming from the rear, and the front.

What would cause a wheel bearing to fail......under torqueing, OR over torquing the centerlocks, or would this have no bearing (Pun) on the matter ?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Will get the car back tomorrow. Something about the splines in the axel not being greased before it left the factory.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

The noise is back.

It comes and goes.

Definately sounds like the right rear wheel. Couldn't find anything wrong. Not at idle. Sometimes going in a straight line. Seems to go away sometimes when accelerating.

Comes and goes....sometimes sounds like clicking at wheel speed, sometimes faster than wheel speed when going slow...

NO FREAKING IDEA what causing this.....
Old 01-24-2011, 03:03 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Mine too, but only on hard slow right corners where the left front is completely loaded do I hear it on the left front. I hear nothing on fast corners and nothing just driving on the street.
+1 on Peter's comments. I've noticed it the last 4 track events. It did get louder along with more vibration as well. I decided to ignore it, since I didn't have any issues what so ever. I'll keep my ears open for it this coming weekend on our season opener at the track.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 904 Likes on 342 Posts

Bump on this. Had the same problem after having the car aligned. Traced it to the RF tire rubbing ever so slightly on the inner fender well under hard loading of that corner. There was very slight evidence of the rub there. Car has -2.5 FR camber and -2.0 RR. It's going back to be checked out on Monday.

For those who experience(d) this problem in front, check your inner fender wells at the 10 o'clock position.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
The noise is back.

It comes and goes.

Definately sounds like the right rear wheel. Couldn't find anything wrong. Not at idle. Sometimes going in a straight line. Seems to go away sometimes when accelerating.

Comes and goes....sometimes sounds like clicking at wheel speed, sometimes faster than wheel speed when going slow...

NO FREAKING IDEA what causing this.....
Might want to try dabbing a little bit of grease on surface where wheel meets the hub.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:21 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem, clicking at low speeds but more evident after running the car for a while, especially when turning left in a roundabout.
Got to the dealer, adjusted center locks. Noise was still there. Checked if something was rubbing on front suspension, disk brakes, or related to the axle lifting but found nothing, click was still there...
Dealer experienced before that what was appearing to be in the front was actually coming from the rear, asked to leave the car for the week as they wanted to try something...
Now ... to me the most unexpected fix...replaced both driveshafts and the noise dissapeared completely, second time they did the same fix in a 997.

Maybe you want to check it out....
Old 07-24-2023, 09:45 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok... I think I have a real root cause to this issue and why some people see solutions after changing rotors, axles, only to return. For me, this is very annoying and as someone said above, could be flagged by a tech worker... though I had a shop take a look and they were unable to find anything.

I had this problem on one wheel and then several wheels. I was a clicking/ticking apparent especially after hard driving and extra apparent if you turn hard. It almost happened like a bad wheel bearing but the sound was much different. I tried removing and replacing parts one by one. I tried changing parts one by one, even changing the center lock mechanism and doing things like removing the keeper temporarily. I checked torque on every nut and bolt. I finally came to the conclusion that in my case, the root cause was rubber bits from the track. The rubber was inside the rotor hat and had been through so many cycles of heating that it basically turned into charcoal. You can see in the pic below that I can actually draw on the concrete with this "charcoal". If it was very hot the "charcoal" and allowed to cool, it could slightly melt and stick in in the rotor vents and hat. If the car was still hot (maybe coming off the track) the "charcoal" would not stick and bounce around like gravel inside the rotor hat causing a clicking/ticking sound. When I removed the bit and danced them around the rotor manually they made a clicking like sound.

I went wheel by wheel and took off the rotors and cleaned them... and the noise was resolved on each wheel. I'm pretty convinced this rubber was here even when the shop looked at it but they didn't remove it because it was just a quick check they didn't believe that rubber could be causing this.

At least in my case, I think I can mark this one as solved.

The following 2 users liked this post by 997_rich:
nle (07-25-2023), Robocop305 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 10:58 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 158 Posts

Old thread but i have read that it is too much antiseize used.
Old 07-25-2023, 09:59 PM
nle
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Ok... I think I have a real root cause to this issue and why some people see solutions after changing rotors, axles, only to return. For me, this is very annoying and as someone said above, could be flagged by a tech worker... though I had a shop take a look and they were unable to find anything.

I had this problem on one wheel and then several wheels. I was a clicking/ticking apparent especially after hard driving and extra apparent if you turn hard. It almost happened like a bad wheel bearing but the sound was much different. I tried removing and replacing parts one by one. I tried changing parts one by one, even changing the center lock mechanism and doing things like removing the keeper temporarily. I checked torque on every nut and bolt. I finally came to the conclusion that in my case, the root cause was rubber bits from the track. The rubber was inside the rotor hat and had been through so many cycles of heating that it basically turned into charcoal. You can see in the pic below that I can actually draw on the concrete with this "charcoal". If it was very hot the "charcoal" and allowed to cool, it could slightly melt and stick in in the rotor vents and hat. If the car was still hot (maybe coming off the track) the "charcoal" would not stick and bounce around like gravel inside the rotor hat causing a clicking/ticking sound. When I removed the bit and danced them around the rotor manually they made a clicking like sound.

I went wheel by wheel and took off the rotors and cleaned them... and the noise was resolved on each wheel. I'm pretty convinced this rubber was here even when the shop looked at it but they didn't remove it because it was just a quick check they didn't believe that rubber could be causing this.

At least in my case, I think I can mark this one as solved.

I’m convinced this is the issue too. Went through your entire ordeal and even replaced a bunch of parts one by one.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:59 PM
silviaks
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting, I resolved my rear clicking sound (during hard turns) by re-torquing the center lock.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:07 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 201 Posts

View this post on Instagram

Worth noting.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (07-29-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 02:59 AM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 158 Posts

Should they spin or be tight? I just replaced my rotors and im having some clicking while cornering.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:48 AM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
Should they spin or be tight? I just replaced my rotors and im having some clicking while cornering.
They should be tight. (4.5 ftlb/ 6 nm)

PN 997.341.901.00 for one corner set

Ive seen someone say they used green threadlocker but I haven't seen anything Porsche official that said that.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (07-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 10' gt3 ticking noise from wheels...help!