Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

CCW wheels- how good are they??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default CCW wheels- how good are they??

For the track guys, I'm thinking of importing a set of CCWs (C10 or similar monoblock) when they become available for the 2010 GT3. For those of you using them, how good are they? Are they a solid wheel and how do they fair on the track with knocks etc? Whats general consensus for track use- 3 piece or monoblock?

I've generally heard nothing but good things about them over the past couple of years on this forum but when I was chatting to a local wheel dealer and brought them up, he said he couldn't see how they could compare to the $8k sets he is trying to flog (Forza monoblocks)...

Opinions please...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

ccw makes both 3 pcs and 1 pcs forged.
the 1 pcs is stronger by far
i have ran them on all my track cars, probably the strongest wheel i have ever had, i have bent everything else, haven't bent a set of C10 yet, but i am trying very hard to destroy them ;-)

the only down side is that they aren't the lightest wheels and they aren't the prettiest wheels.
dont have the jewel finish of BBS motorsport
aren't light like CF wheels.

but for the money, you cannot beat these things.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After is reply did you start to laugh?? Seriously, besides that stupid response what else did he have to say to back his facts?? John is a very knowledgeable guy and product is top notch. For sure if you are looking for bling wheels, other manufacturer will surpass CCW. They are strong wheels and can take a beating. Wait a couple of posts and you'll see what others have to say.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always run with CCW's, in fact, I can attest to their extreme durability. I just re-ordered my replacement.

Last edited by russo; 01-15-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the CCW's on my car since new and they are fantastic. I've pounded them on the track and they show no signs of the abuse. The best part is the service from CCW, they are excellent to deal with as well.

Ask your tire dealer to explain why several World Challenge teams (Corvettes for example) run these wheels. Then politely say thanks and call CCW to order your new wheels
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,783 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I've generally heard nothing but good things about them over the past couple of years on this forum but when I was chatting to a local wheel dealer and brought them up, he said he couldn't see how they could compare to the $8k sets he is trying to flog (Forza monoblocks)...
Sounds like a guy trying to sell you $8k wheels.

Originally Posted by mooty
ccw makes both 3 pcs and 1 pcs forged.
the 1 pcs is stronger by far
i have ran them on all my track cars, probably the strongest wheel i have ever had, i have bent everything else, haven't bent a set of C10 yet, but i am trying very hard to destroy them ;-)

the only down side is that they aren't the lightest wheels and they aren't the prettiest wheels.
dont have the jewel finish of BBS motorsport
aren't light like CF wheels.

but for the money, you cannot beat these things.
+1 one everything except one thing...I love the raw, CNC machining finish for track wheels. Just make sure you wear thick gloves when you wash them.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Are there any strength difference between C10 / C12 / C14?! (stronger w/ more spokes??) Or it just preference for different looks?!

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Are there any strength difference between C10 / C12 / C14?! (stronger w/ more spokes??) Or it just preference for different looks?!
C12 is 6 bolts iirc
C14 is slightly stronger as john told me but it's negligible compared to C12 (which is lighter)

i have both C14 and C10 and both are great. though john makes mostly c10 now, C14 if you request.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Mooty for the info.. appreciate it as usual.. might need to get a set sooner or later..

Great profile picture with all the stuffed animal!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

They make great track wheels that are strong and an incredible value. Its hard to compete with them unless you really want to get a prettier wheel. Although I get several compliments from strangers on my black anodized C10's. The beauty in them is they are simple, purposeful, and strong.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:43 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @ your wheel dealer...

Only problem I had was with their finishing/powder coating, and it was taken care of with no hassle... Bar none, they are the best/affordable option IMO.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:46 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses fellas, I think he was having a go at a product that he obviously doesn't know much about. I could never recall an occasion when anything negative had been said of these wheels by anybody here and they've been used so often by the track fellas. I'm now very sure as to what I'll be buying. Not worried about flash looks, just sturdy wheels and I'd much rather spend the money on tyres and brake pads rather than bling...

OT, was planning to go 19s (yes, i know, i know.. ) because we don't have as large a range of tyres and sizes here in oz but I have a couple of questions for those with more knowledge... (i) with the 18s, what tyre sizes are you using? Is it crucial to keep rolling diameters similar to standard?, and (ii) If I go 19s (and thus standard tyre sizes), do they do these in C10s or only c14s? I am currently awaiting a response from CCW but am trying to decide what size and style to ask for...
Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
After is reply did you start to laugh?? Seriously, besides that stupid response what else did he have to say to back his facts?? John is a very knowledgeable guy and product is top notch. For sure if you are looking for bling wheels, other manufacturer will surpass CCW. They are strong wheels and can take a beating. Wait a couple of posts and you'll see what others have to say.
Lets just say I was amused by the response. His thinking was that they were too cheap to be quality. His comments were suggestive that that they must be made in China or something and that it was unlikely that they'd be forged... I suppose they've gotten used to goudging customers and facts weren't important. The standard wheels are plenty bling for me (for the streets), I just want a strong set of wheels for track and I think that has well and truly been confirmed here by you fellas...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

John is great to work with. When I ordered, I first ordered C14's in black just before C10's finished. I got a silver set of C14's the week before track event. He told me go ahead and use them while he finished up the C10's in black anodized and i got one of the earlier sets with a nice little discount. I just swapped the tires and shipped back my loaner silver wheels. No muss no fuss!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

CCW C14 is the strongest wheel I have ever used. Stronger than stock, and lighter.

The BBS wheels are slightly lighter, not as strong at a 250% higher price. Carbon fiber wheels, you're on your own, and 350% the price of CCW.

Unbeatable quality, good look, reliable, strong, and they are lighter than stock. The C10 saves around 20 lbs of unsprung weight compared to stock wheels.

They are good for track use, autoX use and street driving.

Quick Reply: CCW wheels- how good are they??