Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?

Today, the New York Times reported it will be priced at $191K. I had assumed it would be $250-300K. Given the performance and technology, especially the carbon monocell, this car should be a bargain. Supposedly it is to be released for sale sometime in the first half of 2011. I can't believe they are undercutting the price of a GT2 and substantially less than the 458. I just wonder how the US dealer network will be established.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa whoa - sounds very interesting. You got a link to the article?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
A430v
Racer

Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAxN...layer_embedded
Old 03-20-2010, 09:54 PM
ronnie3585
Advanced

Looks like a very special car.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...mclaren&st=cse

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...pec-announced/

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=21679
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,958 Likes on 556 Posts

I've been in contact with the development and marketing guys and am 100% interested in getting one.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A430v
Whoa whoa - sounds very interesting. You got a link to the article?
I had the paper at home, didn't read it online. I really had no interest in buying a $250K car so I initially dismissed it as a 'hypercar' that I'd never consider. I just can't believe it is priced as low as it is. There is an hour long video released this past week.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/248298/

Supposedly, McLaren wants every dealer to stock every part for the McLaren so if there are any replacement parts needed, there will be no waiting. They are very ambitious and want to produce the highest quality, most technologically advanced and best performing car made. The bad news is they plan to limit sales to 1000 units.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:27 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've been in contact with the development and marketing guys and am 100% interested in getting one.
Same here for about 6 months now. The technology on this car is just amazing.

Funny, I was thinking today about tossing a post up about the MP4 and didn't do it.

What is not to love?:

"McLaren Automotive is aiming for the 12C to be at least 75 kilos lighter than its nearest competitor and a long list of further lightweight solutions highlights the 12C’s introduction as a new type of sports car, driven by McLaren Automotive’s obsessive attention-to-detail. Examples include:

* Standard composite brake system of forged aluminium and cast iron is lighter than the optional carbon-ceramic brake system, saving five kilos
* Low-weight Lithium-Ion battery saves 10kgs
* Lightweight magnesium structural beam supports the dashboard
* Small, twin-turbocharged V8 engine delivers 600PS from 3.8-litre capacity
* Rear mounted engine cooling radiators minimise the pipework, the fluids contained within them, and therefore weight. They were also mounted in car line to minimise vehicle width and weight.
* Hexagonal aluminium wiring saves four kilos over circular wiring.

Not only is the 12C incredibly light and fast, it also features a range of new technologies, many inspired by Formula 1, and all unique to McLaren. In fact, the 12C has been described as ‘pure’ McLaren: all content in the car is bespoke to the 12C, from the switchgear to the engine:

* Brake Steer aids balance and grip through fast corners either acting as a safety control or an aid to performance on the track
* The Airbrake increases downforce and therefore grip at speed and moves the centre of pressure rearwards under heavy braking
* Proactive Chassis Control negates the requirement for mechanical anti-roll bars and distributes damper control hydraulically between wheels and axles resulting in minimal roll at high speed combined with compliant suspension articulation in a straight line and over uneven road surfaces

Neil Patterson, Chief Engineer for the McLaren MP4-12C said: “Our goal for the 12C, and future McLaren cars, is to offer what we call ‘accessible performance’, no matter what the driver’s ability.

“With that in mind, with the technologies we have introduced, and with a small and lightweight, low- and mid-mounted engine, we have been able to deliver what we feel is a perfectly balanced chassis. The 12C will be a joy to drive in town, on an Autobahn, or on a track. There is no compromise and huge flexibility,” Patterson concluded."
Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM
YearOne
Racer

Its a good price but personally I think the cars looks are so boring, the dimensions are right but I have no desire to own one.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Just watched the hour long video. If McLaren is true to their word, both the car and company have no equal.

For dealerships is North America: Looks like initially they plan 1 in Canada and 6 in the US.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the 458 and other Hypercars. Looks are underwhelming.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:40 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting
Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting side note, Jensen Button's DD is a Carrera GT... or WAS a Carrera GT.

Now that he's with McLaren I wonder what he DDs.

Anything he wants to, I guess.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:35 AM
savyboy
Drifting

I like the fact the looks are somewhat understated. Less crowds and lookie-loo's and people leaning out of cars with cameras. Same reason I would never own a Ferrari or Lambo, way to showy. I think McLaren fully understands this. Andf I hope they keep the looks understated yet fully functional.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I like the fact the looks are somewhat understated. Less crowds and lookie-loo's and people leaning out of cars with cameras. Same reason I would never own a Ferrari or Lambo, way to showy. I think McLaren fully understands this. Andf I hope they keep the looks understated yet fully functional.
+1.

I thought there will be no car that will be more desirable to own than our .2RS, and then this came up at a relatively affordable price.

Well...it is good to have a next goal, right?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
+1.

I thought there will be no car that will be more desirable to own than our .2RS, and then this came up at a relatively affordable price.

Well...it is good to have a next goal, right?
McLaren has been quite clear they want this to be a track day weapon (if so desired by the customer). With thier heritage and decades oF racing experience I think they (and Porsche) are the only two makers with focused, long-term racing experience. Maybe Lotus too?

Women have handbags and shoes why can't us guys have a selection of road tools? haha!

A goal is a beautiful thing!

I see they agree with Porsche on Lithium Ion battery, lightweight brakes and Brake Steer (PSM/PTV) technology. Lends a lot of additional credibility to these Porsche options. No one is going to call McLaren poseurs...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?