Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lithium Ion Battery Arrival and Unboxing

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lithium Ion Battery Arrival and Unboxing

Ach du lieber! Direct from the Motherland!

Did you know those of us who invested in the LiON battery had yet to see it even though our cars are delivered? Well, finally, here it is!

This is pure **** for me!

Weighs 12 lbs.

O M G

Ummmmmmmmmm
Attached Images         
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It looks great, but oh boy, that is a tiny capacity (18Ah) battery. I guess you won't be using it for short trips, or keep it on the battery maintainer all the time.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Quite the opposite my friend!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...=2009-11-23-02

"With its nominal capacity of 18 Ah, the lithium-ion battery, through its specific features, offers a level of practical output and performance not only comparable to that of a 60 Ah lead battery, but rather even better in many cases.

On a conventional car battery only about 30 per cent of the total capacity is actually available for practical use due to the configuration of the system, while this restriction does not apply to the lithium-ion battery. On the contrary, through its characteristic structure – and, in particular, the independence of the chemical composition of the electrolytes from the charge status – a lithium-ion battery consistently offers almost 100 per cent of its capacity.

Delivery of power by the lithium-ion battery throughout its useful charge range is likewise significantly better, providing its full power, for example, when starting the engine almost independently of the current charge level.

After the engine has started, the new Porsche battery shows further benefits in the charge process, being able through its smaller internal resistance to take up more power than a conventional battery and thus re-charge more quickly.

Yet a further benefit is that a lithium-ion battery allows a significantly greater number of charging and discharging cycles, plus the two further advantages that the self-discharging effect is lower and the service life of the battery longer."
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Looks very neat.

May I ask if it is just a direct swap of the conventional battery in our car, or does it need different mounting bracket? And I assume it doesn't need to reprogram the computer of our car or do anything for the car to reconize the new type of battery?

Thanks for any insights.

With best regards,
Old 04-21-2010, 05:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Looks very neat.

May I ask if it is just a direct swap of the conventional battery in our car, or does it need different mounting bracket? And I assume it doesn't need to reprogram the computer of our car or do anything for the car to reconize the new type of battery?

Thanks for any insights.

With best regards,
There is nothing complicated here or any "gotcha's". Drop it in, secure existing stock bracket. Enjoy.

The only single caveat is low temp (under 30 degress F) degradation of available power.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The only single caveat is low temp (under 30 degress F) degradation of available power.
Applies to all types of batteries.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

"With its nominal capacity of 18 Ah, the lithium-ion battery, through its specific features, offers a level of practical output and performance not only comparable to that of a 60 Ah lead battery, but rather even better in many cases.

On a conventional car battery only about 30 per cent of the total capacity is actually available for practical use due to the configuration of the system, while this restriction does not apply to the lithium-ion battery. On the contrary, through its characteristic structure – and, in particular, the independence of the chemical composition of the electrolytes from the charge status – a lithium-ion battery consistently offers almost 100 per cent of its capacity.

Delivery of power by the lithium-ion battery throughout its useful charge range is likewise significantly better, providing its full power, for example, when starting the engine almost independently of the current charge level.

After the engine has started, the new Porsche battery shows further benefits in the charge process, being able through its smaller internal resistance to take up more power than a conventional battery and thus re-charge more quickly.

Yet a further benefit is that a lithium-ion battery allows a significantly greater number of charging and discharging cycles, plus the two further advantages that the self-discharging effect is lower and the service life of the battery longer."
Sounds great!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

So all the low voltage cut-off and such are built into the battery itself.. ? There's no difference on the car? Is that correct?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cfjan
So all the low voltage cut-off and such are built into the battery itself.. ? There's no difference on the car? Is that correct?
Yes.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool.. so I guess in the future when the price of these come down, people will be able to retrofit these to any cars... !
Old 04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
olha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome!

Do you know if there will be any issues using a trickle charger with the lithium-ion? Asked my dealer about it, but didnt get a good answer.

/Olle
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by olha
Awsome!

Do you know if there will be any issues using a trickle charger with the lithium-ion? Asked my dealer about it, but didnt get a good answer.

/Olle
The answer is in the link above, namely:

"... The lightweight battery is made up of four cells and integrated control electronics. This battery management system protects the battery from major discharge and guarantees a consistent charge level within the individual cells. Once battery voltage drops below a certain threshold, a warning signal reminds the driver to re-charge the battery either simply by driving the car through the power of the engine running or by means of a conventional battery charger. ..."
Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice. But why? To save approx. 38 pounds?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

There is nothing complicated here or any "gotcha's". Drop it in, secure existing stock bracket. Enjoy.
Thanks!

Now I know what I want for Xmas

Regards,
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
olha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The answer is in the link above, namely:

"... The lightweight battery is made up of four cells and integrated control electronics. This battery management system protects the battery from major discharge and guarantees a consistent charge level within the individual cells. Once battery voltage drops below a certain threshold, a warning signal reminds the driver to re-charge the battery either simply by driving the car through the power of the engine running or by means of a conventional battery charger. ..."
Thanks! Got so excited I forgot to read!

Quick Reply: Lithium Ion Battery Arrival and Unboxing