Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

LSD guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD guarantee?

Any of you guys who had LSD failure very soon/quickly ever tried to post a claim under guarantee?
Even if it is a wear item, there should be a minimum expected lifetime?....
Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPID
Any of you guys who had LSD failure very soon/quickly ever tried to post a claim under guarantee?
Even if it is a wear item, there should be a minimum expected lifetime?....
Porsche has chosen to use its size and financial resources (including VW in the picture) to attack customers and overpower them rather than provide warranty coverage. You would have to prove to the satisfaction of the courts that the LSD "failed" and you'd have to define the word "fail" which would entail having Porsche and a recognized source of authority define the specifications of a functional LSD.

I think Porsche is so well fortified against these forms of claims that they've destined themselves to repeat the fate of Toyota. It will probably take a attorney crashing a car because the LSD failed before it comes to pass. Just a matter of time.

Meanwhile, I think owners need to budget on the cost of a one-time purchase of a Guard LSD which then has the operating cost of being removed and installed in each successive car so long as Porsche sticks with its transaxle diff specs.

I like to see one of the independent Porsche shops (or Guard) take a showroom fresh GT3 RS and pull the LSD just to bench test it for specs. At present, all we know is what "Savyboy" has done in researching his predicament.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:38 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had 2 replaced under warranty. No charge.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
RAPID
Racer

I understand the legal issue, but there is something (in Holland it is called "coulance") that refers to expected lifetime under "normal" usage. This is normally recognised especially if you have a very quick failure, and manufacturer will be summonned to at least share the costs.
Roberga, what mileage did you have?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Had replaced mine under warranty but provided the cup disks myself.

John
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I like to see one of the independent Porsche shops (or Guard) take a showroom fresh GT3 RS and pull the LSD just to bench test it for specs. At present, all we know is what "Savyboy" has done in researching his predicament.
TurbineTT sent me his 2010 GT3 RS LSD with less than 1000 miles on it. That's the closest to factory fresh that I've held in my hands. It had a few lbs on it. The thing is Porsche rates the acceptable benchtest at something like 3-15lbs. What I do know is that after service he picked up about 3 seconds on his local track after I rebuilt it. So even if they work when new(which I do question), they work better with our parts in there.

I have worked with a number of customers who have had Porsche warranty their LSD. Getting it done once seems pretty easy. Getting it done a second time is more of a challenge and some people get them covered and others don't.

There's a lot of play from dealer to dealer. I've had customers send me their LSD for rebuilding and their dealer paid the in and out labor back on the lift in their shop. The customer paid for the parts.

I've also had customers buy the parts, have me send them to their dealer for installation, and again they didn't pay any labor under warranty.

It never hurts to have a conversation with your service writer/manager. Each dealer is different in how they approach this. Some go crosseyed when you mention the idea of rebuilding the LSD at all. Others know exactly what's going on and the desire to service the customer drives them to do what's necessary to make things right. However, I have yet to have Porsche pay for a set of our plates to cover a warranty claim. Just the labor.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
RAPID
Racer

That makes sense, I am still waiting for my car, but since I track quite a lot, I am trying to evaluate what are my future costs. I guess I`ll find out how good my dealer is soon.....
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

That makes sense, I am still waiting for my car, but since I track quite a lot, I am trying to evaluate what are my future costs. I guess I`ll find out how good my dealer is soon.....

stop worrying you just won the ticket for the world cup final.

John
Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
RAPID
Racer

HUP HOLLAND !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice. I've been rooting for Holland since day one. I want to see them play the Germans in the final and then kick their ****!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 996-3 diff rebuilt under my CP warranty -- appx 17000 miles on the car

As I understand it Porsche allows for 10 hours of labor to do the job and it only takes about 4 hours...

So it is in the dealers best interest to get er done as if they are competent, they can beat the allowed time and claim the allowed time making a little moolah and keeping a customer happy.

If I had it to do over again, I would push for the warranty replacement and stick a guard unit in on their dime.

Guard unit going in my new car <---- as I type
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GTgears
Nice. I've been rooting for Holland since day one. I want to see them play the Germans in the final and then kick their ****!!!
I have to let you know that this will not happen. Sorry

John
Old 07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

HUP HOLLAND !!!!!!!!!

Oranje is de kleur van gekte. -- Vincent van Gogh

I'm looking for a 1974 revenge game where Netherlands beats Germany 2-0.

(on topic, great info in the thread. I need to replace mine...)
Old 07-06-2010, 05:59 PM
RAPID
Racer

Funny thread after all, I love those german cars, hate that they are not perfect.
After all they are German; yet glad, it means Germany can be defeated in the Final....(appologise to all those of you who don't care about football/soccer).
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Germany is going to crush Netherlands on Sunday, guaranteed !!!, and very likely Klose could become the athlete with most goals in Football World Cups, tomorrow is going to be carnage against Spain.

...and I got one diff replaced under warranty, the 2nd time I played smarter, paid the bill to get a better quality one.

Quick Reply: LSD guarantee?