Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Porsche PCCB Brake Pad Wear- What the Frick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
be interesting to see if the MovIt kit wears pads differently ...
I am being told they will, and will last 1-2 years. We shall see as I am the acid test. The calipers are supposed to withstand twice the clamping force in psi before deformation. They are well aware of the OE beveling issue and in fact warn of it is when using the OE calipers and their rotors.

Will of course share the info here when the time comes. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I am being told they will, and will last 1-2 years. We shall see as I am the acid test. The calipers are supposed to withstand twice the clamping force in psi before deformation. They are well aware of the OE beveling issue and in fact warn of it is when using the OE calipers and their rotors.

Will of course share the info here when the time comes. Fingers crossed.
Brave test rat ...

Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Savy,

Just checking in, did you get the Movit stuff on your car yet?
I guess we won't know the result for a few years, but I like the idea of an ever lasting brake rotor setup.
I wonder if they fit on the red calipers as well. I believe they are now the same, we could all use Movit rotors.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Savy,

Just checking in, did you get the Movit stuff on your car yet?
I guess we won't know the result for a few years, but I like the idea of an ever lasting brake rotor setup.
I wonder if they fit on the red calipers as well. I believe they are now the same, we could all use Movit rotors.
Hi Peter,

Had a conversation with the MovIt rep in USA (Tom Frederico) last week. Two situations- A new ceramic system is being designed and engineered specifically for 2010+ GT3/RS. Different caliper, different mounting from current. New set-up is being tested on a brake dyno to simulate 500k miles (or 300k?, forgot). Based on results, design will be tweaked and then they will build and send me my long awaited system. Approx date is Jan/Feb /

The Spyder system is further along and if the stars align and fate smiles my way, should have that in December.

My rotors are looking very unhappy and in another few weeks I won't be able to track either car as rotors are so rough they are eating pads.

The good news is that MovIt recognizes the market for Porsche PCCB replacement systems and when these kits are released they will be (I am now convinced) the gold standard for braking systems. And for us trackers a true low/no maintenance, lifetime system.

Porsche keeps putting the same old Brembo system on faster and faster cars and they are not up to the task. Laminated rotors and flexible brake calipers that eat pads is quickly becoming a very poor $8800 option.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks, sounds promising!
My rotors are looking very unhappy and in another few weeks I won't be able to track either car as rotors are so rough they are eating pads.
How many days on your PCCB's?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Approx date is Jan/Feb /

The Spyder system is further along and if the stars align and fate smiles my way, should have that in December.

Porsche ... is quickly becoming a very poor $8800 option.
In Silicon Valley, that's called vaporware. Two months ago, they had photos, products, specs and prices; now they have three or four months of R&D. I'd politely encourage them to provide a set of these "never wear out" brakes in their current 380mm components and update you to the shiny new stuff when it becomes available.

As for Porsche and PCCB, they're ample for all but the hard core track junkies and I imagine would last with the factory pads for the lifetime of the car on the street. It's just wildly expensive at $1K for about 5 track days to keep the pads at 50% thickness to avoid heat soak and risking rotor failure.

Current PCCB will not work on the GT2 RS -- there's just no way that rotor and pad combination can withstand the added speed the GT2 RS will have over the GT3 RS. How long will the pads last then ... 3 days ... 2 days?

By comparison, at 4 mpg on the track, gas could be $20/gallon and it would still work out cheaper than brake pads. People will need to have an EPA estimated miles per brake pad on the window sticker. It could have little track map stickers of Laguna with say a "3" (advisory days per set of pads) or a Sears with a "4" and Thunderhill with a "5" ... maybe in Germany it would have Nurburgring with "0.5" and a "taken roughly from behind" smilie ... :*
Old 10-17-2010, 02:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Good points all.

I like where you are going with rating brake pads, but let's leave the EPA or anything gov't out of it.
I'd like to see your smiley collection.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:46 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the GT2 RS coming with the same PCCB as the GT3 RS?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
But it will have better tires, so "technically" you will need less brake..maybe the cheap solution all around will be the the GT2 RS tires (rear) on the the GT3 RS...eliminating the need for so much braking!

Maybe those hardy souls buying the GT2 RS can offset the premium by going into the aftermarket tire business, and keep their VIN under lock and key.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

What better tires?
And don't better tires (Slicks) create more more heat in the brakes, not less?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
What better tires?
And don't better tires (Slicks) create more more heat in the brakes, not less?
+1...not sure what Pogue is talking about. Both cars come with Michelin Sport Cups.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

Look at the video re the development of the the GT2 RS (Andreas Preuninger on the GT2RS (part 2 of 3)). Around the 5.00- 5.40 mark he talks about developing a special tire (rear) for the GT2 RS to handle the additional power.

Note he says (with pride) specifically developed for a series of 500 cars!

My theory is more tire.... less brake... My practice.that's another story!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I am told that there is a specific Cup tire for the RS - dealers often provide a Audi spec tire (same size) which is not an N1 RS model. The OEM RS tire is an amazing dry tire but in the rain... not so much.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

so it is now July 2011 - did anyone come up with any answers on what to do about OEM PCCB's for us track junkies??? I go thru a set of pads on my 2010 GT3 about every 3-5 track days (Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Summit Point, Virginia International Raceway).
Old 07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uhm ... shelve them in favor of GiroDiscs made specifically for these cars :-)

Quick Reply: Porsche PCCB Brake Pad Wear- What the Frick?