Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do the brake pedal depressors work for changing wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Somebody suggested a 2x4?
Originally Posted by WalkerInTN
A 2x4 cut to length will also work. Put the cut 2x4 in between the brake pedal & the seat bottom, while powering the seat forward.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:17 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a Porsche sticker on it and you're good to go![QUOTE=Carrera GT;7965390]Anyway, the clamp is exactly the same device and design -- it also works really well. I used it to illustrate the alternative for anyone wanting to drive over to Home Depot and have a solution with no further ado. And no compromise other than it looking a bit "shade tree mechanic."
QUOTE]
Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone with power seats in their GT3 will be first with their backs against the wall, come the revolution.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Everyone with power seats in their GT3 will be first with their backs against the wall, come the revolution.
I would suggest decorating trees with those people instead. More effective at making one's point. And we should also do this to the people who ordered PCM in their GT3.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:07 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessedone
Easier, cheaper way is to break each nut/lug slightly loose before jacking. Tighten lugs snug before lowering and torque when lowered back to ground. Use the wife for more important things.
Tighting MUST happen with the wheels in the air, and good luck breaking the nut without someone pushing the brake pedal.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
I would suggest decorating trees with those people instead. More effective at making one's point. And we should also do this to the people who ordered PCM in their GT3.

or ordered the cup holders for their RS
Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Just an update with some tips. I got the brake pedal depressor and it does indeed work with some caveats.

1) It needs to be pressed very hard. I found if I got it in position, then depressed the brake pedal with one or both feet while locking the device in place with my hands, this really helps. I locked it against the steering wheel (used a towel to prevent damaging the wheel).

2) Of course, if you are bleeding the brakes at the same time, after bleeding the caliper, you need to release the device, pump the brakes a couple of times, then reapply the device. Then, it works like a charm.

Thanks all for the tips. I love this board.

Last edited by johnr265; 10-18-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnr265
Just an update with some tips. I got the brake pedal depressor and it does indeed work with some caveats.

1) It needs to be very hard pressed. I found if I got it in position, then depressed the brake pedal with one or both feet while locking the device in place with my hands, this really helps. I locked it against the steering wheel (used a towel to prevent damaging the wheel).

2) Of course, if you are bleeding the brakes at the same time, after bleeding the caliper, you need to release the device, pump the brakes a couple of times, then reapply the device. Then, it works like a charm.

Thanks all for the tips. I love this board.
Instead of the two-footed thing, just start the engine and let the brake booster do the work. Of course, don't start the engine with any wheel removed, or the car supported solely by a jack or without confirming the gearbox is absolutely positively certainly in neutral ... and release the clutch very slowly to be sure.

And if you're removing the pads and they're really stuck ... you've forgotten to take the tool off the pedal ... : )
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 AM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmag
That 2x4 does the exact same thing his clamp does, it just cost way less. Difference being his clamp works on a non movable seat, while the 2x4 needs a power seat.

Guess I'm sorry I tried to help people save money. Won't happen again.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:57 PM
TheTrackDude
Rennlist Member

Old thread, new GT3 owner here! Thanks for all of the recommendations for holding the brakes, super useful! I ordered the renntorq tool (https://renntorq-llc.square.site/pro...lock-tool-v2/2), and in his instructions, he recommends putting a fiberboard or wood in front of the seat, with a cloth, I have the carbon buckets (991.2 GT3, 2018)
Pic example from the instructions:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/yK2Ud5paLyENNTAs9

Is this needed with the carbon buckets?

Thanks!
-Ben
Old 07-05-2023, 04:22 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

I have carbon buckets, the renntorq tool and I used a simple brake depressor tool purchased off of amazon.

Old 07-05-2023, 04:52 PM
TheTrackDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
I have carbon buckets, the renntorq tool and I used a simple brake depressor tool purchased off of amazon.

image1, Image2
Thanks Clifton, appreciate the input.
-Ben

Quick Reply: Do the brake pedal depressors work for changing wheels?