Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

These forums can be depressing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:50 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm more concerned about the coolant fittings, but I'm having the same conversation in my head as well....
i started doing DE this year and saw with my own eyes 3 cars smashed and towed out from NHMS. reality is - sometimes sh$t does happen on a track. and this 'sometimes' seems more like 'all the time' IMHO.
So unless one can shell out enough to get same replacement car right away it would make sense to adjust the priorities.

i am not sure about spec miata but spec boxster or ariel atom does make a lot of sense to me, as soon as transportation issues (trailer+tow vehicle) were taken care of. track car should be cheap and simple enough to fix and I think of something within $20K budget to buy. spec boxster imho is a great platform to consider.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Let me advice you to go by your own experience (drive it / track it hard until something really fails) and real relevant data from trust worthy sources. There's a lot of BS that gets posted and several others jump immediately on the bandwagon and the casual reader might get the impression that all this cars are a POS.

Even for the famous LSD wear, most users that complain about this do it based solely on static tests but not real track "misbehavior" as 99% of those drivers don't really push the car to the point that LSD locks and you lay down 2 (instead of 1) black lines on exit. Also, most still leave the TC/PSM on, which still doesn't allow the benefit of the LSD as the rear tires are braked by the nannies before significant slip happens.

Dont read and believe, go drive...
^ + 1

The car in my avatar has 37k miles (about 30-40% on track), countless brake pads, tires, oil changes, RMS, diff rebuild, and on my second set of PCCB rotors (will not settle for anything less). Wear & tear = enjoyment of car! Just go drive!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:04 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys....even for the bitch slaps! I will run the car until it breaks but I will also tweak out the M3 a bit and hammer that one more.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

I just figured out that I have 2 screen names. (UGH!) Posted by my most used name:

Thanks guys....even for the bitch slaps! I will run the car until it breaks but I will also tweak out the M3 a bit and hammer that one more.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,453 Likes on 2,257 Posts

quite honestly, I dont think if I had an M3 (E92) and an RS I would bother modding the M3 at all ... unless you were planning on stripping it out and turning it into a pure track car, you could spend 1000's on suspension, brakes etc and still not get the performance and experience that you would from the RS ...

save your cash, drive the RS, *if* something brakes and it doesn't get warranted then use the money to fix it ... regardless of the perception created by some of the problems we have discussed recently on this forum the 997 GT3 (RS) is still the best production track car out there for performance and reliability IMHO ...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

... or

use the cash and arrange another "model" photo shoot pls!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, people complain about the various issues when tracking the cars.

Now go ahead and find another car that will have less issues under same usage pattern while being capable of similar speeds. It also must be street legal.

The GT3 is the best there is for DE type driving. Racing is a totally different subject.

And don't bother with the M3. Great street car. I love mine. Too portly for the track, though.

The amount of modification needed to make it fun on the track is huge. Total reworking of the suspension and the brakes is needed. To process of installing a racing seat and roll bar is a complete hack compared to the Porsche. With the GT3 you get most of what you need straight from the factory.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgomez
Let me advice you to go by your own experience (drive it / track it hard until something really fails) and real relevant data from trust worthy sources. There's a lot of BS that gets posted and several others jump immediately on the bandwagon and the casual reader might get the impression that all this cars are a POS.

Even for the famous LSD wear, most users that complain about this do it based solely on static tests but not real track "misbehavior" as 99% of those drivers don't really push the car to the point that LSD locks and you lay down 2 (instead of 1) black lines on exit. Also, most still leave the TC/PSM on, which still doesn't allow the benefit of the LSD as the rear tires are braked by the nannies before significant slip happens.

Dont read and believe, go drive...
Well said.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

I never pound on the car anyway. Its always 75% at the track. I save it all for when I get to do a race. My wife allows one a year..but she lets me hang with those models! HA! For the hell of it...here is a shot of my motorcycle with a model. She lets me get away with a lot
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
Sure, people complain about the various issues when tracking the cars.

Now go ahead and find another car that will have less issues under same usage pattern while being capable of similar speeds. It also must be street legal.

The GT3 is the best there is for DE type driving. Racing is a totally different subject.

And don't bother with the M3. Great street car. I love mine. Too portly for the track, though.

The amount of modification needed to make it fun on the track is huge. Total reworking of the suspension and the brakes is needed. To process of installing a racing seat and roll bar is a complete hack compared to the Porsche. With the GT3 you get most of what you need straight from the factory
+1
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texasviany
I never pound on the car anyway. Its always 75% at the track. I save it all for when I get to do a race. My wife allows one a year..but she lets me hang with those models! HA! For the hell of it...here is a shot of my motorcycle with a model. She lets me get away with a lot
WTF is she (not) wearing ...

you are a lucky man to have a wife that lets you anywhere near those girls!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Torched GT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice picture and I must say and (no offense) what motorcycle? BTW keep the car that hottie needs a ride!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting thread. I felt some of the same feelings, but most of the replies here are the right answer- just drive it. If you got the recent Christophorus, you probably read about the guys who took a street
GT3 RS and ran it at 24hrs Nurburgring and placed 13th! That's pretty amazing and telling about the car. So impressive. And to boot, the car was driven to and from the track. There aren't very many cars that could do this.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,483 Likes on 2,269 Posts

M3... you can put in 50k, it still aint gonna hold a candle to RS.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:12 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

There is always some good info here, especially when it comes to upgrades. We got a good deal on the telemetry/video systems thanks to the hard work of a member here on Rennlist.

But I do have 2 words for you:

Analysis Paralysis

I agree with some of the previous notes, just drive the car and enjoy it. If something breaks get it fixed. We all have new cars that probably are still under warranty so lets just have fun.

I bet if you went to the corvette or mustang forums there would be twice as much stuff about fix this or fix that.

Relax

Quick Reply: These forums can be depressing!