Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Michelin global launch of the new Pilot Super Sport in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Honestly don't recall them being that noisy!

If you did not notice rolling noise, I would say it is a good sign.

It appears that Michelin created a breakthrough tire that will lead a new generation of performance tires. It is good that this is happening on the performance end, as 'eco' pressures are yielding low rolling resistance All-Season tires which do not seem to be so good (other than saving gas).
Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not run PS2 since my 993 I think so I can't comment, the Super Sport seemed really good on the C2S with good turn in! Lateral grip and stability under power ... On standing wat they will spank the MPSC easily I'd say that seat of the pants they are at least as good as the corsas on my 3 ...

I'd love to do a back to back of the Super Sports with the MPSC and have suggested this to Michelin for some viral marketing
They are probably afraid I will switch over if they are comparable and I won't be buying as many sets!! With the PS2's the sidewalls were too soft, in order to keep them from moving so much I had to run high PSI and then there were just way too greasy. I could not get comfortable with them on the GT3. I do have PS2's on the 997S, but I don't drive that much as there is no comparison between the two cars. The 997s is an 05 and only has 13,000 miles on it. The GT3 is an 07 and has nearly 47K. I will be curious to try the new SS. But I am afraid with a wear rating of 300 they will be way to hard.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you very much Larry, looking forward to trying out these tires.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Another review of the same Michelin event - PorschePurist.com.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Another review of the same Michelin event - PorschePurist.com.
Thanks for posting! We're happy to try and answer any questions we can.!!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope they release the tires in 18" fitment for 6GT3 application.. !
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cfjan
I hope they release the tires in 18" fitment for 6GT3 application.. !
Put an email into Michelin earlier asking if they could give an guidance. Will let you know what we find out!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:47 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool.. thanks!!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:15 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
Put an email into Michelin earlier asking if they could give an guidance. Will let you know what we find out!
Great write up thanks.

Please ask them the same question I was asking Larry yesterday.
Pirelli has the new P zero trofeo in 18"s with which tyre is Michelin going to compete against it since they discontinued the Non N cups in 18" and they don't offer the Ncups in 18"?
I still can't beleive they ll leave such a gap in their range.
And on street tyres do they expect the PS2 to keep up with the better competion?

And I am not including the PS3 disaster tire. Drove a caymen with them.
My BRABUS smart's yokos are better.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
... And I am not including the PS3 disaster tire. Drove a caymen with them.
Please do tell about your Cayman PS3 experience. Logically, the PS3 should be the PS2 replacement, but apparently the Super Sport is (confusing nomenclature).
Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I found myself (along with other RL'ers) invited to the global launch of Michelin's latest tyre
FTW? You got an invite and I didn't?!

... on second thought ... these guys know what they're doing ...
Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up Larry
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Please do tell about your Cayman PS3 experience. Logically, the PS3 should be the PS2 replacement, but apparently the Super Sport is (confusing nomenclature).
Well I don’t know if it means something as a test done in a track would, but my experience is this:

I helped a friend with his alignment and drove his car with them on.
He bought the PS3 in UK.
Mid October 25C dry roads, including some dusty bumpy B roads we covered about 500klm.

Traction was terrible they made the car feel like a plus 100HP car, steering feel was average with a hint of a turn delay but not inaccurate, dry braking was average, they are predictable on the limit like a street tire, and not scary. When hot they didn’t felt getting stickier or greasier pretty much constant from cold to as hot as a road test allows.
My friend and owner who races karts and really drives with completely different style than me reached the same conclusions and to be honest he said that the previous PS2’s on the same car were better. Much better!
Played with pressures a bit and when we got hi really hi they were kind of better. I would guess that they have softer sidewalls than PS2’s but I am not sure.
The only positive things were that they did provide a really comfortable ride and are probably the quietest tire I ever driven. Hardly qualities that a sports car owner has on the top of his tire wish list.

I did call him now to ask about wet performance and he said that they are excellent. He drove the car to Italy 2 weeks ago and faced some really wet conditions. So I guess that goes in the plus column as well.

I also have to say that the tires he used were a non N rated version (and if I remember correctly they were a size wider)

In any case after this experience and the real tests availiable when someone says that the PS3s are the successor of the PS2s I have to laugh, can’t help it.

Hope this helps and sorry for the lack of terminology explaining tires behavior
: )
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Well I don’t know if it means something as a test done in a track would, but my experience is this:

I helped a friend with his alignment and drove his car with them on.
He bought the PS3 in UK.
Mid October 25C dry roads, including some dusty bumpy B roads we covered about 500klm.

Traction was terrible they made the car feel like a plus 100HP car, steering feel was average with a hint of a turn delay but not inaccurate, dry braking was average, they are predictable on the limit like a street tire, and not scary. When hot they didn’t felt getting stickier or greasier pretty much constant from cold to as hot as a road test allows.
My friend and owner who races karts and really drives with completely different style than me reached the same conclusions and to be honest he said that the previous PS2’s on the same car were better. Much better!
Played with pressures a bit and when we got hi really hi they were kind of better. I would guess that they have softer sidewalls than PS2’s but I am not sure.
The only positive things were that they did provide a really comfortable ride and are probably the quietest tire I ever driven. Hardly qualities that a sports car owner has on the top of his tire wish list.

I did call him now to ask about wet performance and he said that they are excellent. He drove the car to Italy 2 weeks ago and faced some really wet conditions. So I guess that goes in the plus column as well.

I also have to say that the tires he used were a non N rated version (and if I remember correctly they were a size wider)

In any case after this experience and the real tests availiable when someone says that the PS3s are the successor of the PS2s I have to laugh, can’t help it.

Hope this helps and sorry for the lack of terminology explaining tires behavior
: )
Thanks! Good to know.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Great write up thanks.

Please ask them the same question I was asking Larry yesterday.
Pirelli has the new P zero trofeo in 18"s with which tyre is Michelin going to compete against it since they discontinued the Non N cups in 18" and they don't offer the Ncups in 18"?
I still can't beleive they ll leave such a gap in their range.
And on street tyres do they expect the PS2 to keep up with the better competion?

And I am not including the PS3 disaster tire. Drove a caymen with them.
Would be happy to. It might also help if you post your question directly on our site as I'm under the impression that the product manager will be monitoring it. I could do so for you, but without having your email, there is no way for you to know of a follow-up. If you need help, just let me know.

Quick Reply: Michelin global launch of the new Pilot Super Sport in Dubai