Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911dev
^^ Like Trakcar posted I would believe that the .2s are equal to or even fractionally lighter than the .1s, right? As much as the steel cylinder liners add a bit of weight, the lack of a sunroof offsets that. Brakes and rear springs are lighter to name a few, wheels, even though CL maybe not, but certainly no heavier than those brick .1 wheels. Although the .2 may have a softer ride it is more planted and mostly softer over the harsh stuff; a good thing, imo. It should be (and is) softer than the .1 in normal mode. It did not feel as though there was enough of difference between normal and sport on the .1s.
Agreed. Also the .2 came with 3.8L engine and bigger front steel brake.

And Amen, Porsche did answer to our prayers, and took away the big hole (sunroof) on the .2 chassis.

The .2 suspension is from the 997.2 GT2, I would say it is a good thing. Plus it also offers the optional dynamic engine mount (see my previous post about how it makes the car feel more solid at turns.)

Regards,
Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^ When they went to the 3.8L Porsche added the steel liners to add integrity with the increased bore. While the front rotors went to 380mm from 350mm Porsche also lessened the rotor weight with the aluminum hubs on all four corners. Either way the over all weight of the brakes did not increase and likely lessened.

Amongst the variety of things I did not mention was that the uni-body under the rear compartment on the .2s has one layer of metal as to further reduce weight as opposed to two layers on the .1s.

I have a .2 as well. Hey, it was great to see your original winter post last year revived! Love your pics on a snowy canvas.

Last edited by 911dev; 01-03-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche is only moving forward and will come out with a more competitive engine/car. Nostalgic people can always keep their slow cars! The next engine (more powerful) will also likely be a lot cheaper to replace!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by str8ner
..The next engine (more powerful) will also likely be a lot cheaper to replace!
"likely"
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM
AndreGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish the new GT3 will not be bigger and heavier. I like the size the way it is. Let they concentratie on making it lighter. 435hp is more then enough for me. Just add lightness.

I don t care if they put in a new engine. If it s a motorsports engine it s fine by me and NO turbo.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I wish the new GT3 will not be bigger and heavier. I like the size the way it is. Let they concentratie on making it lighter. 435hp is more then enough for me. Just add lightness.

I don t care if they put in a new engine. If it s a motorsports engine it s fine by me and NO turbo.
+1. lighter!!
The motors are pretty strong so the cost is not that big a factor as long as they don't forget to tighten all the bolts at the factory ;-)

Quick Reply: Dürheimer: GT1 Block to Be Retired