Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Think twice before buying a new Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to buy used but the better half always wants to get new cars, and ordered our way like hamburgers at burger king.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have bought 3 used and one new. I think I will always buy new now. I love the fact no one else has touched my car. I did get a GREAT deal. It was when Porsche was giving at least $10K on 911s on TOP of the deal I had already worked.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not buy a new car from Porsche again due to their poor costumer service. I bought a new C2 997, a"new" Cayenne S and a new GT3 997 over a three year period. The C2 and GT3 came from HBL.
I encountered 3 or 4 RMS on my GT3 during the first 10,000 miles (and several other problems). PNA denied my warranty saying the car was used on the track and had the following modifications voiding my warranty: roll bar, race seats, harnesses and after market rotors! Extremely disappointing for a car advertised as a track car. There was no other mods! HBL drilled through my GT3 case to place a nut where there is none originally! Porsche said that is not their problem and I should deal with HBL. HBL said it was fine and I have to leave with it! They had no understanding of depreciation on the value of the car.
And for the Cayenne S bought from Len Stoler I was sold a used one that already had been titled and that was not disclosed to me. Mileage was never given to me. Again Porsche said that I had to deal with the dealer and did not offer any help!
That's enough for me not to pay the premium of a new car! I have found Chevrolet or Toyota and BMW to offer a much better service.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:26 PM
ricster
Banned

Life is too short. Can't take it with you.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:37 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I want to buy used but the better half always wants to get new cars, and ordered our way like hamburgers at burger king.
You're in a good position if you can put burgers and Porsches in the same sentence

For me, I'm fine buying lightly used street cars. But I've also learned to be more finicky about special cars like GTs and Italian marques... there's no limit to human stupidity and it gives me peace of mind that my babies aren't the subject of prior abuse...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts

All three of mine have been bought used off the internet. All were under warranty, considerably discounted and have offered more satisfaction than about any other purchase I've made. The key is doing your homework and being patient.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
I was glad I was sitting down! I'll save you the morbid details, but the depreciation alone works out to $1,375/month... and that's over 40 months.
1375/mo - you got off EASY. I got caught up in the frenzy and hype and bought my '10 RS in May for MSRP (159+tax) and sold it in October in the low 130's. Do the math on that ... at least I am glad I priced it aggressively and sold it quick when I did. I see a lot of dreamers posting cars for sale at prices that don't reflect the extremely soft market and plentiful supply.

The moral of the story is indeed to buy lightly preowned or be 100% sure that you will own car for 36+ months so when the inevitable pummeling comes it is amortized over a longer period.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I bought new and have bought used.

New car I specced how I wanted. Used, I took what I could get and some things on the car I wouldn't have ordered. I did save a ****load though.

If I ever buy another new one I will order it and pick it up at the factory.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no issues with buying new, I get exactly what I want with regards to options & colour. Nothing wrong with buying pre-owned but I like new stuff, I have ADD issues as well, no sense fighting it.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
You're in a good position if you can put burgers and Porsches in the same sentence

For me, I'm fine buying lightly used street cars. But I've also learned to be more finicky about special cars like GTs and Italian marques... there's no limit to human stupidity and it gives me peace of mind that my babies aren't the subject of prior abuse...
She is well aware of my intentions to buy a 959 when we can afford it. And when I do I will make certain to eat a burger in it.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
She is well aware of my intentions to buy a 959 when we can afford it. And when I do I will make certain to eat a burger in it.
959 is a cool ride.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Well I'm looking at two different cars right now, one is new and has all the options I would have ordered. The second is used, it's close but it's close in options. I don't think the $10k in savings is worth it, I would rather have the virgin.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:20 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

I'm stuck... I don't want anything newer than a 993... You can't get them new.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I wanted mine just so.
Who new that I could have had Mooty's in a weak moment that he seems to be recovered from for now at least..
LOL, oh, it's sitting in the garage and getting ready for taking the little monsters to school.

hey, you could have bought mine and have TWO.

buy new or buy used...
for CARS, i run numbers before i buy
for TOYS, i buy with my heart.
good thing i dont do business like that.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:50 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal issue is that I secretly covet a particular Porsche model for many years, then finally buy the garage queen when it hits a reasonable price point. I then get attached and can't sell it - ever!

I am currently in purgatory as I "want" a 997.1 GT3 as a DD, but placed a deposit yesterday on a low-miles 997.1 S Cab. The Cab fits my budget (sub $60K) and was a childhood dream, but that 997 GT3 is the wild girl that I want to date but just costs too much...

-B

Quick Reply: Think twice before buying a new Porsche