Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:07 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

hmm, i just noticed the uk version precision is only 1 day. in germany its 2-day course.

how about Spa with RSR on May 2-3, Leipzig PSDS for the g-force training course on May 7-8 and then ring for performance class on May 9-10

PSDS 2011 schedule for Germany is here. All classes have english speaking group.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand.../reservations/

Scuderia Hanseat will probably have their spring Nordschleife training around same time in May. Maybe stars will line up and you can do that too.

-Jim
Old 01-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,465 Likes on 2,267 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Allright, allright. Let me find some quotes from shippers who have done this before. Any pointers are welcome. Larry, you shipped your car back and forth right?
Cherie Lampkin <cheriel@ehharms.com>

I should have the url to the writeup done by the BMW guys any day now ...

insurance via GEICO overseas...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
hmm, i just noticed the uk version precision is only 1 day. in germany its 2-day course.

how about Spa with RSR on May 2-3, Leipzig PSDS for the g-force training course on May 7-8 and then ring for performance class on May 9-10

PSDS 2011 schedule for Germany is here. All classes have english speaking group.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsand.../reservations/

Scuderia Hanseat will probably have their spring Nordschleife training around same time in May. Maybe stars will line up and you can do that too.

-Jim

all sounds promising!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

ADAC 24H race is June 24-26. its going to be a big party. definitely come out for that!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

i got all the tools you guys need right here so no problems there. i also have spare set of 997.1 GT3 track wheels (CCW C10's in black) sitting in my garage if someone needs it. I also have a friend with 2 guest houses we can use right in adenau that happens to be a big p-car nut. he rents a 996.1 clubsport GT3 as well. i also know of some cheap garage parking near the ring for longer term parking if needed.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my opinion and so you know what I base it on I've driven the following in either GT2 or GTR:

Oulton Park
Bedford Autodrome
Silverstone GP
Donington GP
Brand Hatch GP
Spa GP
Castle Combe
Goodwood
Snetterton
Monza (passenger only in RS, 360 Stradale and Gallardo SL)
Papenburg ATP
Nurburgring GP
Nurburgring NS
Nurburgring Scuderia Hanseat
Porsche GT2 Driving Experience at Millbrook

My advice would be that the Porsche Experience centre is a great treat for anyone who has not driven on track or in a Porsche, but if you are a track-junkie it will leave you dissapointed as it's not much more than a sales pitch from what I hear and the track-time is limited.

If you are going to travel to the UK/Europe there are so many better things to do. I have done and would recommend the following type of plan:

Drive the following UK tracks (we pay from $150-$450 for a full day with our own cars):

Oulton Park or Donington (the most undulating charismatic tracks in the UK)
Silverstone GP (flat but very fast and epic)

then:

Spa (simply amazing)
The 'ring (no words necessary)
Drive via Stuttgart for the Porsche and Mercedes museums.
Drive through Switzerland into Italy over various passes, staying in Geneva en-route.
Drive Monza and stay in Milan.

Scuderia Hanseat is good if you want to learn the ring, but is also frustrating if you want to do full laps as basically you only do small sections for 2.5 days, then only do one final full lap at the end of the course for the judging. Far better to do a quiet evening session mid-week or enjoy the weekends madness of Tourist-driving.

The 24hrs at the 'ring is great to watch, standing at 3am by the track with 220 cars at full speed, next to the disco tents pumping 80s techno and the camp fires burning, drinking great beer and eating too many variations of sausages...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR
Here's my opinion and so you know what I base it on I've driven the following in either GT2 or GTR:

Oulton Park
Bedford Autodrome
Silverstone GP
Donington GP
Brand Hatch GP
Spa GP
Castle Combe
Goodwood
Snetterton
Monza (passenger only in RS, 360 Stradale and Gallardo SL)
Papenburg ATP
Nurburgring GP
Nurburgring NS
Nurburgring Scuderia Hanseat
Porsche GT2 Driving Experience at Millbrook

My advice would be that the Porsche Experience centre is a great treat for anyone who has not driven on track or in a Porsche, but if you are a track-junkie it will leave you dissapointed as it's not much more than a sales pitch from what I hear and the track-time is limited.

If you are going to travel to the UK/Europe there are so many better things to do. I have done and would recommend the following type of plan:

Drive the following UK tracks (we pay from $150-$450 for a full day with our own cars):

then:

Spa (simply amazing)
Drive through Switzerland into Italy over various passes, staying in Geneva en-route.

Scuderia Hanseat is good if you want to learn the ring, but is also frustrating if you want to do full laps as basically you only do small sections for 2.5 days, then only do one final full lap at the end of the course for the judging. Far better to do a quiet evening session mid-week or enjoy the weekends madness of Tourist-driving.

The 24hrs at the 'ring is great to watch, standing at 3am by the track with 220 cars at full speed, next to the disco tents pumping 80s techno and the camp fires burning, drinking great beer and eating too many variations of sausages...
Driven Oulton, Bedford and Brands (when I lived in the UK) and the Ring NS (wouldnt waste time on the GP track) and would agree ... Oulton in particular is epic!

The idea of either the Precision or Performance course was not to get open lapping or a salespitch but to get some of the car control training (did you watch the video?) offered.

Scuderia (or BMW School @ Ring, or PSDS) would make sense for NS newbies ... much better/safer learning experience than touristfahren

Done the Porsche and BMW factory and museum tour(s) ... well worth it!

and thanks for the info!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,591 Likes on 737 Posts

Cherie Lampkin <cheriel@ehharms.com>
I should have the url to the writeup done by the BMW guys any day now ...
insurance via GEICO overseas...
That will function as a "how to guide" for shipping cars over and back. I will wait until when I get back from Sebring Monday, it is "shXt or get off the pot" time I think I can put this together and fly back and forth during the summer to my car and do as many track days as possible. Going to form a plan, get some prices and maybe others will follow or join me.

The car won't be able to ship the car till early May, so it won't arrive till middle June and have to figure out where to send it to. Right now, I am thinking Germany and work from there.

ADAC 24H race is June 24-26. its going to be a big party. definitely come out for that!
i got all the tools you guys need right here so no problems there. i also have spare set of 997.1 GT3 track wheels (CCW C10's in black) sitting in my garage if someone needs it. I also have a friend with 2 guest houses we can use right in adenau that happens to be a big p-car nut. he rents a 996.1 clubsport GT3 as well. i also know of some cheap garage parking near the ring for longer term parking if needed.
Jim, it would be great to have some help closer to the Ring, our place is about about 45 minutes from Munich, in Mittelstetten near Augsburg. I figure less then 4 hours early in the morning.

then:

Spa (simply amazing)

GuyR, thank you for the pointers. I would not mind skidding around in someone else's GT3 I've only driven 6 laps on the Ring. No other track anywhere in Europe. So still clueless. My dad's warehouse is in Leeds. One of the guys working with us races Lotus, so he will know his way around a bit if I can make it to the UK. I don't see Italy happen, maybe next time. Plus I wonder what Geico insurance has to say about that.

How does the paperwork go with a temp import to the UK?

The ring and Spa (Have secure parking in Belgium) will be on top of the list and if I can only get to those I would be happy, been to the Porsche museum and would love to run through the alps with the wife for a few days. Last summer I visited friends in Strassbourg and Geneva, but they don't track, so not much help

Before or after that l can try to get my stuff in our van and drive the car over to UK and run Oulton Park or Donington and maybe Silverstone GP.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friends - I would suggest you consider the Porsche's Leipzig track - it is really neat with all the famous corners from around the world, including the Laguna Seca Corkscrew recreation.
I would also second the advice to avoid the Precision course (I have done it, you will be disappointed).
The Performance is the best value course, with the Master only interesting to those who are looking to graduate to the German racing licence (if taken in Germany). I know of a number of people who go back to Performance year after year.
You might also consider a specialized course, like G-Force, where focus is on drifting (might not be to everyone's taste).
Finally, I believe that if there is a group large enough, it is possible to discuss special dates with PSDS in Germany.
For what it's worth, I will try to join you for one event!
Best, w
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

g force would be great! I would love to learn to do this....
Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Same here
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same here
Sent email to Porsche for dates and locations... I will post them when I get a response. Price is 17xx euros
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Posted by Larry Cable:I temporarily exported (and back) my '04 to the UK
I'll ask you for more details on that. Roro or container?

Posted by Larry Cable:WOW ... you are going to do ALL of them???
If I can get my car there I will do as many as I can get to in 4-5 months.. I figure 2 a month? Bucket list thing + big four O B'day..
Ring, Spa, Leipzig + whatever we can catch in UK..

Posted by Larry Cable:The guys that did this for the BMW school last year with their GT-Rs imported via Beligum, it is rumored that if you do this into Germany they may ask for a VAT deposit returnable when the car is exported ...
Belgium will work for me..

Posted by Larry Cable:I *may* just go with the option of doing one of these and renting locally, not sure I want the pain of asking BofA if I can take their car overseas!
Same here, financed with BofA..

Posted by Larry Cable: Yes, you can rent a 911 for around 400 sterling ($6xx) a day
It's cheaper and more fun then renting 911's to take our own cars..GT3's are 1000+Euro per day to rent..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I went via container but that was because I was relocating so I had space for car and belongings ... Cost a fortune! The BMW guys used RoRo and it was around 15xx one way from east coast to Belgium...

Basically we need:

Title
Notarized permission from lien holder to temp export (if you are unfortunate to have one)
Insurance for transport
Car must be valid/registered in home state for duration of EU stay
Insurance for car while in Europe GEICO seems to be the best/only source got this in US
Shipping Agent, E H Harms is good for this since they ship for BMW, Volvo, Audi and MB from Europe

Probably need to book return trip prior to departure to prove that import is temporary

May have to complete country specific documentation as well, in some cases a carnet be be required but the shipping agent can provide

Hand the carover to agent with docs, meet it in Europe ... Park it somewhere ... Have fun
Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Waiting for the BMW guys' post.
Do you trust RoRo?
What about extra tires and stuff? Get it all on the other side? I guess I could ship a couple of rear tires in the car, but then I'll have to buy some sets on the other side.

Title
Notarized permission from lien holder to temp export (if you are unfortunate to have one)
Insurance for transport
Car must be valid/registered in home state for duration of EU stay
Insurance for car while in Europe GEICO seems to be the best/only source got this in US
Shipping Agent, E H Harms is good for this since they ship for BMW, Volvo, Audi and MB from Europe

Probably need to book return trip prior to departure to prove that import is temporary

May have to complete country specific documentation as well, in some cases a carnet be be required but the shipping agent can provide
Should be doable. Not in the mood to start today/tomorrow with my car at the dealer :-(
I will start work on Monday, but if we can do RoRo and get some support from local ships in Belgium/germany, I think it can fit my budget.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer