Adaptive Sport Seats in a 4.0 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adaptive Sport Seats in a 4.0 RS

My brother has an allocation for a 4.0 RS. He is long past his days of tracking and DE, and will be using this car as a limited-use street car. I suspect most of the 4.0 RS's will not be used as track cars, and most will be used once or twice on track (to see what it is like), but ultimately they will be street cars.

The sport bucket seats on my brother's 3.8 RS were very difficult for him to get in and out of, he is a large man at 6' 4" and 300lbs. He wants to get the 4.0 RS with sport adaptive seats. Unlike Ferrari, Porsche does not make S, M, and L sport seats.

What do you guys think of sport adaptives in an RS? They sure do make the car WAY more enjoyable as a street car. How much would this hinder the resale on this car? It is unlikely my brother would have this car more than 1 year, given his history of car ADD.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

What is the point of ordering a pair of seats when you can't fit into..

To be honest with the 4L frenzy that we are witnessing, I think that even if you tick all the wrong boxes in the order, in 12 months from now, you 'd still sell the car for almost what you paid.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm 6'5" and 230ish lbs. I don't feel that a 6'4" 300lbs guy will fit or be comfortable in a 997 based Porsche no matter what seat he orders.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StatmanDesigns
My brother has an allocation for a 4.0 RS. He is long past his days of tracking and DE, and will be using this car as a limited-use street car. I suspect most of the 4.0 RS's will not be used as track cars, and most will be used once or twice on track (to see what it is like), but ultimately they will be street cars.

The sport bucket seats on my brother's 3.8 RS were very difficult for him to get in and out of, he is a large man at 6' 4" and 300lbs. He wants to get the 4.0 RS with sport adaptive seats. Unlike Ferrari, Porsche does not make S, M, and L sport seats.

What do you guys think of sport adaptives in an RS? They sure do make the car WAY more enjoyable as a street car. How much would this hinder the resale on this car? It is unlikely my brother would have this car more than 1 year, given his history of car ADD.
1. *** seats.
2. Bubble wrapped car.
3. Worried about resale.
4. Soon to be flipped.

There are so many levels of "fail" here. It is truly painful for me, as a GT car enthusiast, to read this.

Has your brother considered buying a sweet Turbo S and passing the 4.0 allocation to an enthusiast that might use the car as intended and engineered? Seriously? That decision would be "win" on so many levels instead of trying to force this car into a role it was never intended for.

I realize this post may not be considered politically correct by many, but I know how I feel when reading it. Anyhow best of luck
Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
What is the point of ordering a pair of seats when you can't fit into..

To be honest with the 4L frenzy that we are witnessing, I think that even if you tick all the wrong boxes in the order, you 'd still sell the car for what you paid in 12 months from now.
I guess I could have been more clear. He is going to get the car, he is going to drive the car with sport adaptive seats, cause thay are more comfortable. Should he order the car with sport buckets, and get sport adaptives to swap out while he owns the thing, and then swap back for resale. Or just order the thing with the Sport adaptives from the start?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'm 6'5" and 230ish lbs. I don't feel that a 6'4" 300lbs guy will fit or be comfortable in a 997 based Porsche no matter what seat he orders.
I'm 6'5" and 315lbs and I'm comfortable in the 997. Heck...I can even squeeze into the 964 and the 997 looks like the box it came in...
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell if you I was 4.0 shopping and I came across a used one with *** seats that would for sure be a deal breaker for me.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
StatmanDesigns
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
1. *** seats.
2. Bubble wrapped car.
3. Worried about resale.
4. Soon to be flipped.

There are so many levels of "fail" here. It is truly painful for me, as a GT car enthusiast, to read this.

Has your brother considered buying a sweet Turbo S and passing the 4.0 allocation to an enthusiast that might use the car as intended and engineered? Seriously? That decision would be "win" on so many levels instead of trying to force this car into a role it was never intended for.

I realize this post may not be considered politically correct by many, but I know how I feel when reading it. Anyhow best of luck
That is really funny, Pete, sorry. He already currently has or has had in the past every car you could imagine, including a 2011 Turbo S cab. And 20 years ago he was just as hardcore as you currently are with DE and track days and SCCA racing. Don't you realize that the GT3 RS's are street cars?

90+% of them rarely if ever see a racetrack. When you have $150K-$200K to spend on these cars and you are really that serious and hardcore about racing, you buy a race car, not a street car dressed like a race car. Sorry sir, but it is equally full of fail to think that the GT3 RS's are not street cars.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
WYD OPN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I could have been more clear. He is going to get the car, he is going to drive the car with sport adaptive seats, cause thay are more comfortable. Should he order the car with sport buckets, and get sport adaptives to swap out while he owns the thing, and then swap back for resale. Or just order the thing with the Sport adaptives from the start?
Order with sport buckets. Swap in ***. Win-Win-Win.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WYD OPN
Order with sport buckets. Swap in ***. Win-Win-Win.
Lateral thinking for the win!
Yes, get the expensive (free) carbon sport buckets for (imminent) resale, then go buy a custom seat from Recaro (or any OEM -- even a Ferrari seat probably bolts in with an adapter) that sits low and wide with custom lumbar, etc.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,259 Posts

get it with the sport adaptives from the start.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

90+% of them rarely if ever see a racetrack.
[citation needed]
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He should buy the car the way he wants it and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

He also shouldn't expect anything from resale because you never know what values will be like in a few years.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

LOL, Nugget

I'll be heading for Sebring for track day number 29+30 in my 3.8RS, heaving my 250LB 6'4" fat *** in and out of the car :-). If they keep delivering Budweiser, Twinkies and Krispy cremes to my room, I might need *** seats soon as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

That is really funny, Pete, sorry. He already currently has or has had in the past every car you could imagine, including a 2011 Turbo S cab. And 20 years ago he was just as hardcore as you currently are with DE and track days and SCCA racing. Don't you realize that the GT3 RS's are street cars?

90+% of them rarely if ever see a racetrack. When you have $150K-$200K to spend on these cars and you are really that serious and hardcore about racing, you buy a race car, not a street car dressed like a race car. Sorry sir, but it is equally full of fail to think that the GT3 RS's are not street cars.
Well said !
GT3's...even 4.0 RS's....are street cars.
The idea of paying $200k plus and then tracking it is beyond me.
For that you can get the most dialed-in early 911 (-1000lbs.) or for a little more a real cup car.

Personally, I wouldn't get the *** seats...but I'm small enough to fit in the Sport buckets. Since it is his car and his money, get what he wants. if *** seats are for him, i would order with Sport buckets, list them on Rennlist, 6speed or Teamspeed and he'll sell them immediately and pocket ~$3k even after swapping or buying *** seats. Hope he enjoys the car.

wsh

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seats in a 4.0 RS