Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Mancation II July '11

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I like the idea of track car transport and trackside services (chassis setup, tire swaps, slicks, wets, etc.) then fly between tracks with a little time to spare while the cars arrive, maybe do coaching days, Radical rental or, as noted, probably kidney dialysis. : )
No flying between tracks. Go in the motor home with the guys.

If there are at least 4 guys/cars (are there rigs for 4 cars?) the cost may make sense. Would require separate RV.

If it gets wild enough and 6 guys do it then you need two rigs and a motor home. Definitely would make a check mark on the bucket list.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I like the idea of track car transport and trackside services (chassis setup, tire swaps, slicks, wets, etc.) then fly between tracks with a little time to spare while the cars arrive, maybe do coaching days, Radical rental or, as noted, probably kidney dialysis. : )
Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
This is a great idea. If you guys are serious about doing something like this I know some teams/drivers/haulers that we could enlist to help make it happen. Wouldn't be that hard to do and I don't think it would be as expensive as listed above. Lets start working out the details!
Oh to live the dream, to live like a pro driver for a few weeks. I don't think I could go back to work ever after that.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:40 PM
jenk12m
Banned

All is better in trakcar universe. Peter swapped tires and got down to a 2:11, so no need for you guys to panic. I did a 2:13 and that makes Peter feel very happy. Lmao
Old 07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Mancation III is shaping up! If we do the hauler thing, let's try to get at least 2 four car teams together from the east coast. I know of a group here in ATL that would support as long as it doesn't interrupt race season...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
No flying between tracks. Go in the motor home with the guys.

If there are at least 4 guys/cars (are there rigs for 4 cars?) the cost may make sense. Would require separate RV.

If it gets wild enough and 6 guys do it then you need two rigs and a motor home. Definitely would make a check mark on the bucket list.

Since I have seen you guys mention this on here I have been trying to work the logistics of it out in my mind. I know it can be done it all depends on the budget you want to keep it under. The more cars/drivers the cheaper it gets to a point. Good example of this is 4 cars might be able to fit in one trailer but if 5 go then it requires another trailer and tow rig. So the transport cost double with the addition of one car. And the transport cost will be the biggest cost to go from east coast to west coast.

I will start working on some of this if you guys are serious enough to do it. Shoot me an email at seth@seththomas.net if you would like to do it along with the tracks you would like to visit and I will start working the budget on it. I would think it would cost between $5K to $10K depending on number of cars, track side support needed, coaching, etc.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Mancation III is shaping up! If we do the hauler thing, let's try to get at least 2 four car teams together from the east coast. I know of a group here in ATL that would support as long as it doesn't interrupt race season...
May have to see about tagging along....
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I was thinking I should try to find a gooseneck and head south this winter and visit the sights ...

Barber
Road Atlanta
VIR
Sebring ...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Be sure to visit us out here on the left coast. And be sure to bring along Miss Maple Sugar!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Be sure to visit us out here on the left coast. And be sure to bring along Miss Maple Sugar!!!
Will be out for Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca but too far to drive my car. Will have a rental.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
All is better in trakcar universe. Peter swapped tires and got down to a 2:11, so no need for you guys to panic. I did a 2:13 and that makes Peter feel very happy. Lmao
1st Gen Cayman is faster than GT3 RS 3.8

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2:11 is a pretty good time. Depressing fact is that the PCA racers running GT3s are now doing 2:06s. So there is still plenty of room to improve.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
2:11 is a pretty good time. Depressing fact is that the PCA racers running GT3s are now doing 2:06s. So there is still plenty of room to improve.
This was on RA1

Hoosier grip would help there a lot

Also, racers fix their cars when they rub the wall.....he is close
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I finally get to post a bit as well besides riding the big rig FLATOUT :-)

Mancation II is not over yet, but mission accomplished. We did 10 days, not yet wreck the tow rig and we did not break the RS-es, let alone ball one up. Plenty of times we came close though, while going for the flatout lap. I think we had 20+ lpas where we were on a flyer just to be shut down buy a slower car... Did anyone ask about Izzones rookie mistake changing his tires yet??

Jenk12M; great hanging out with you and the boss. I question the wisdom of introducing her to us 2 bozo's, but we had some fun :-)

Yes, yesterday was a bit rough on me, but today with one student and a bit more focussed. The NEQ Audi Club was fantastic. I tried to disgise my car as one of those slow R8's we kept blowing by all day and I think it worked, even had it signed by the Chief Instructor. see picture below.

I ran a 2:10.5 and I made a mistake on that lap and found much more time later in a few corners, but you guys are exactly right, times are identical to VIR. If I would get some time on the track I would have run a 2:08 or 2:09 and 4 seconds faster on Hoosiers.
I ran a 2:068 at VIR and can do a couple of seconds better on Hooters, but here grip is even more important.

Mike and Randy were right on my *** and considering I have the cheater Gurney and CUP LSD, they are starting to make me work.

The thrack needs grip and NOS. Very similar to VIR, except you are guaranteed to be airlifted out if you crash. Like Road America and Mosport, the track is difficult to figure out on you own. Very fast, very dangerous.. You don't just try something to see if it works. It don't you dead.

It was tough, much harder to understand where the grip and line is then any other track. It is my favorite track, followed closely by VIR, Road America and Mostport. Sebring is different. Bumpy, but so is the Glen. You gotto love the elevation, on camber and blind corners at the Glen.

Found an hotel, and I am planning on making a dent in the Grey goose and beer inventory tonight.

Originally Posted by Bman
Stayed at the S Lodge my first time to the Glen. My room was UNDER the bar. Luckily I closed the bar every night, so the only thing keeping me up all night were the bugs and the smell
Once we threw the budget out the window, all the stars alligned, aura's were cleared. Got nice hotel, booked massages at Athica on the way to PA today to pick up 16 more rear RA1's.

I know many that stay there religiously! For them, it's an integral part of the Watkins Glen experience. I can appreciate that but having dinner/drinks on the patio of the Harbor Hotel is pretty sweet....just bring some $$$$$.
I'll take the Harbor anytime. We laughed out asses of as I got instructionsat the bar about how the take the esses flatout from a green female student :-)

Originally Posted by FFaust
Peter, now that you've been there, imagine a gaggle of diff category cars (proto, GT, etc) racing in to T2 wheel-to-wheel as will be happening this weekend. Catch it on Speed if you can.
Post me the time and date. Must be a sight to behold.

Originally Posted by Bman
I haven't but everyone I talk describes it as the scariest and most fun track they've ever driven. I can't wait to drive it! Hoping to run it and Mt Tremblant soon, maybe Cbogie too.

Watching Peter's video, I loved that the end of the long straight is a 4th gear corner....gotta be a blast.

I am bummed they didn't enjoy Mid Ohio more. I can understand why because the constant traffic never allowed them to enjoy the flow and get up to speed.
Izzone is contemplation shippingh his car every year to Mosport ;-)

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
The Seneca Lodge is great but you have to stay in the motel. Say no to the cabins.

Harbour Hotel is really nice but double $$$.
Compared to the Lodge the Harbour hotel is a bargain. Paid almost double, but it is 1000 times better.
I don't mind the S Lodge. Hardly there in any case.
The Lodge cost me 10!! secs a lap HiHi, gave me bad mojo.
You are indeed crazy, or possibly change your handle to Insane Canuk

Originally Posted by FFaust
The "classic" shot

You know, been there, got the t-shirt and the picture
I ordered the CD HiHi.......

Trakcar being FLATOUT, might be flat out of gas right now. 12th day of mancation and peter and Randy both look like zombies. Randy looks like he's been hit by a Mack truck. Lol. I'm exhausted after 6days of being gone but we all get back in the car and the adrenaline kicks back in and we're off.

I know our times are slow for Watkins glen but it's jenk12m 2:14.4, trakcar 2:14.8, and izzone is well ummm...we will see by the end of the day. Haha.

Peter doesn't like being 2nd so he swapped rear tires to make sure he can go FLATOUT!
Only because I chunked the old, new ones ar probably a bit slower, never mind that they are so bouncy, I thought the car would fall apart at 140Mph, but it went away after brakinging into the bus stop.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Frankly, I'm in awe of Reter and Izzone. How the **** can those guys drive hundreds of miles, get just a couple of hours of sleep, learn a new track, lay down blistering times, shower, eat dinner, drink 'n party, pass out AND still find time to compose overlaid Traqmate video and post it up to YouTube?!?!?!!!

I'm not worthy!!!
Thanks Lar, we did good and got lucky a lot. Now drive home and clean up :-)

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 07-20-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:42 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The thrack needs grip and NOS.
lol lol....

Your car is already NOS equipped... The driver's door confirms it. Just grip 4 you Pete...

ps. How are the front rotors looking after all 10 days completed?...

pps. Spill the beans on Izzone's wheel changing effort please!
Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

peter, alms at mosport this weekend.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=live

Last edited by aussie jimmy; 07-20-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Mancation II July '11