By Request - Plati-Dip vs. Paint and Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:01 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default By Request - Plati-Dip vs. Paint and Vinyl

A photo/video journal of my recent experiments with Plasti-Dip...

1) Chin spoiler
2) Wheels
3) Body work

First use was in resurfacing a GT3 chin spoiler.
Results - a definite no-brainer. Just do it!

Before:

After:

Next up: Wheels.
Results - must use multiple coats; questionable value given the effort.

Before pics...

Track Day Pic

The Test
  • Test #1 (Neighborhood kids approve of "the most awesomest car!")
  • Test #2 (Eagles Canyon Raceway in Decatur, Tx. This track is hard on brakes, tires, paint, you name it. If it holds up here, it holds up.)

After Pics...

At first, I thought that the Plasti-dip was evaporating, revealing the original gun metal finish underneat...

But after getting home and scrubbing with a wet sponge - no soap or chemicals, just water - it appears to have held up quite well (only washed the rim, and one spoke in the upper half of the photo).

Before washing

After washing

However, I had applied only 1 coat on the front left wheel (2 coats on the others). This caused two problems for this one wheel. First, the Plasti-Dip started peeling off after just 1 run.

Second, it made it harder to peel off because it wouldn't hold together as one continuous piece. So it took about 10 minutes to peel it off piece-by-piece.

And although it made cleanup a breeze compared to what it usually takes, it actually took longer when you add the extra prep time on the front end.

And finally... as a alternative to clear bra, vinyl, etc. to protect the paint..
Result - Definitely has potential. Needs more testing to determine durability over time.

Test area: Rocker panels (and compare to using resusable vinyl over the factory clear gaurd in front of the rear wheel well).

After 1 track day; Before washing:

After scrubbing with a wet sponge (no soap or chemicals, just water). Looks like it will hold up for a few more track days.

My biggest apprehension was in how easy it would come off, and how well it would protect the paint. The rash on the far right is from the prior two years of track time. But the paint under the Plasti-Dip on the left is smooth as glass. I'm impressed.

I think it's worth experimenting further with the white or clear Plasti-Dip on the hood and front bumper...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

+1.

Thank you for experimenting and posting.

To use as a clear bra there might not be any need for reusable vinyl:
How does it go on the car?

Can I roll it on? I can see myself bathe the entire car in clear plastic wherever clear bra would go and just get it peeled off and have the car detailed when it starts looking too beat up, or if it starts to fall off. Then just re apply before the next track weekend.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If this stuff does not harm paint you could really have some fun with it on the car.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1.

Thank you for experimenting and posting.

To use as a clear bra there might not be any need for reusable vinyl:
How does it go on the car?

Can I roll it on? I can see myself bathe the entire car in clear plastic wherever clear bra would go and just get it peeled off and have the car detailed when it starts looking too beat up, or if it starts to fall off. Then just re apply before the next track weekend.
It comes in both liquid and aerosol form. The liquid form is for dipping, and a smooth coat is created by gravity as you pull whatever you're dipping out of the liquid. You would have to have a pretty fine touch with a roller to use the liquid form.

The aerosol form is pretty easy. A lot of goes to waste on wheels, but on a flat surface it goes far. Less than a can for 2 coats on both rocker panels. The spray is very fine; after struggling to minimize the overspray, I ended up covering the whole car and the floor underneath. Would have been easier with a lift.

I initially used blue painters tape to mark off the top and bottom line on the rocker panels. But the tape absorbed too much, and I couldn't pull it off without ripping up the edge (needs a nice seal at the edges in order to stay adhered to the surface). Switched to electrical tape, and pulled it off after about 15 minutes (1/2 the dry time). Worked perfect.

Originally Posted by mdrums
If this stuff does not harm paint you could really have some fun with it on the car.
I think I might retire the vinyl numbers and just make a stencil! Thanks for the idea!
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

So if I don't care what it looks like, I just get this stuff in clear, tape off the windshield with electrical tape and shrink wrap and spray car? remove tape after 15 minutes and the rest I can just peel of when it starts to fall apart?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting product.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:35 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So if I don't care what it looks like, I just get this stuff in clear, tape off the windshield with electrical tape and shrink wrap and spray car? remove tape after 15 minutes and the rest I can just peel of when it starts to fall apart?
You probably also want to tape off crevaces between parts (headlamps/hood, fog lamps/bumper, side turn signals/bumper, hood/bumper, etc.) in order to make the edge accessible for later peel off. Intakes too, of course... radiators, hood vents...

I'm thinking that you may not need to peel it off if/when it falls apart... just spray additional layers. Unlike paint, spraying a new layer of rubber will re-liquify the existing layer and dry into a single, newer and thicker layer.

I finished peeling the driver side rocker panel today... wow, it was pristine underneath. Definitely going to do the front bumper...
Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 AM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the creativity. Can't wait to see where this goes from here.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Definitely going to do the front bumper...
Will you spray it clear instead of red?
Please make some (how to) pictures :-)
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree w front lip, did the same, back to new (but not as smooth, more dimpled). Going to check to see how difficult it is to remove my rocker panels and spray those too. They have been severely beaten up by now. When I eventually buy new ones I will purchase the GT2/GT3RS.2 ones
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Update

Updated impressions with before/after photos using it on the front bumper.

It's certainly an effective method for protecting the paint. But I'm still on the fence as to whether or not it's worth the effort. It took so long to tape off the areas I didn't want sprayed that I began to think about just removing the bumper for the application! And overspray is something to be aware of because the spray is such a fine mist. It would have to last a long time to make that effort worth the while.

It definitely comes off easier when multiple coats have created a fairly thick layer. I sprayed two coats, and there were several places where it wouldn't peel off in one big piece. I was in a hurry, so I used blue painters tape. That's why the edges are a bit frayed. I thought that the frayed edges might make it easier to peel off on it's own at high speed, but it held on extremely well.

I'm leaning towards giving this a thumbs up for spot protecting problematic areas around the bottom of the car, but it's quite a stretch to think about it as a replacement for vinyl or clear gaurd. Still a fan of using for spoiler lips though!

The order of the 5 pics below are:

1. After application; before track time
2. After 1 track day
3. After washing (plastidip held up perfectly during washing)
4. Removal
5. Removal
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: By Request - Plati-Dip vs. Paint and Vinyl