Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"More" Flippin' Fun with Centerlocks !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would've seen the way Peter was sweating when he changed his. lmao
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've watched Trakcar and Izzone change a lot of CL's...no big deal never hear them complain. I bet NO ONE on rennlist has messed with CL's than these 2 guys! I talked to both before I bought the GTS w/ CL's.
I would say that I would definitely be a contender for the Rennlist All-time Top 5 “CL Messer's” List, however, I’d like to endorse “SavyBoy’s” nomination to it as well. I’ve seen that man in action!

Indeed, it is sweaty work with the BIG manwrench - I think I've lost 5lbs so far this summer!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
You are so NOT a *****.
LOL, that's NOT what my wife says.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlips
I disagree. Sure, if you have to do it once every two years, in a controlled enviorment, no issue. Maybe even fun. But I was at an open track event this past week, and drove 500 miles in two days on the track. Multiple tire changes, brake bleed, even a brake pad change. Try doing it 4 or 5 times in a couple of days at the track, when it's hot and you want to get the car back out. Not fun.
Good point on having to do it in the scortching sun. But my point was that I was really dreading doing it myself, but I think I built it up in my head to be a huge deal and found it really wasn't. I'll get some real life experience at the track rotating sides and changing pads in Aug, so I should reserve judgement until then perhaps.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
I would say that I would definitely be a contender for the Rennlist All-time Top 5 “CL Messer's” List, however, I’d like to endorse “SavyBoy’s” nomination to it as well. I’ve seen that man in action!

Indeed, it is sweaty work with the BIG manwrench - I think I've lost 5lbs so far this summer!

Cheers!
Doug N.
I've heard that watching Savy change wheels is like a fine precise military operation.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Hmmm make that Randy as I don't think Peter has done many tire changes or brake bleeds

Peter
I bleed brakes, change tires, change pads......for beer

Grew up wrenching on cars, so don't mind it. Just need proper tools / jack

As far as centerlocks, they are no big deal.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

After almost 2 years of owning CLs, I finally did my own change on my new RS. I really don't understand what the big deal is. It' pretty simple. I think it's a bit gimicky and Porsche didn't thoroughly test the CL under all conditions, but given that we have them on our cars, they really aren't that big of a deal.

Why grease? Because Porsche says so, so add some lube and put the f'in CL back on to the appropriate torque spec, then go have some fun on the track.

I'd probalby take 5 lug over the CL, but it's not causing my heartache or keeping me up at night.
Exactly.

Right. No big deal.

This coming from me. I was meant to do desk jobs.

I hate to work on my car, but have done rotor and pad changes on the track and bled the brakes. I can do it all in 30 mins, but I I hate it and I probalble bra something an hurt myself. All much more work then changing a set of wheels...

Is there a benefit to CL's? Maybe. Negative? add some grease and you have to buy $400.00 on parts...
But when I had bolts, all was not dandy either when you get different wheels you have to look at studs. Studs can come lose or break. All that is gone. I actually feel more secure with the CL's then 5 lug..
Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone

When my GTS comes in...I invite you over to my house for as much beer you want...a boat ride and dinner....just to make sure I'm doing the CL thingy correct.

I'm on the east side right on Tampa Bay so not too far from ya.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I'll supervise
Old 07-30-2011, 01:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll supervise
I have a chair for you next to the well stocked fridge in the garage....and if you drink too much and can't get back home I have you covered their too.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I like beer! I don't like CL's! But I will do a CL wheel R&R for beer! Mmmmm......

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm with brim, Peter, and Randy on this. CLs are not a big deal. Why are people whining?

I've done 3 events (7 days) already and have swapped wheels, flipped pads, etc several times through a weekend. Probably done the process 20+ times already, which includes a few times when I first got the car and wanted to play/practice a bit. After about the 3rd go at it, it was cake. I simply don't understand how people can say 5-lugs are much easier and suggesting that CLs are a PITA at the paddock under the hot sun. What?!? 5-lugs are just as much of a PITA under the same hot sun and if anything are more tedious to remove and torque down especially if one doesn't have a cordless impact wrench. Even with an impact wrench, you still have to torque down manually 20 times per swap! Then with some cars there's the issue of lining up the bolt holes with the threads on the hub, which is only made easier if you install studs or drive a car that use nuts instead of bolts. With the right tools and enough practice, CLs are much easier to torque down, and unlike 5-lugs, the fasteners have yet to loosen on me after several runs, although I still check the torque periodically.

At best, 5-lugs are equally as tedious as CLs simply because there are more steps you need to be very careful with on the latter. 5-lugs only seem easier because we've all been doing it for years, some of us decades, and we all feel we can do it with our eyes closed and a beer on one hand.

It's really quite easy:

1) park car and with engine still on, depress brakes and prop with brake depressor tool against seat. Turn engine off.
2) put up car on 4 jack stands (jackpoint stands make this easy)
3) break all 4 centerlock fasteners and remove
4) grease CL assembly (having 2nd or 3rd sets pre-cleaned and pre-greased and ready to go helps a lot and makes things go quicker)
5) install wheel and torque down/break/torque down. make sure locking splines are engaged, caps back on.
6) take off jack stands (again, easy with jackpoint stands)

Done. 20-30 mins depending on how much coffee I've had. Doing the same operation on my 5-lug VW takes just as long if not longer when my impact wrench's batteries go dead.

So what's all the crying for? Haven't had an issue yet other than dropping one of my wheels on it's face against the concrete, in my haste, and gouging the he'll out of it - ouch!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Brake depressor tool??

Been using the handbrake+1st gear with the car on the ground to loosen them and then to tighten to spec with my manly big rig torque wrench.

I just check the torque once in a while (couple of times per day when the wheels are cold) and don't lose any sleep over it.

The grease needs to be applied when there is none left on the threads, not every time.

The elaborate Porsche procedure is there for CYA purposes. A guy gets a wheel change once a year and never checks the fasteners needs to be protected. The amount of time my wheels stay on is the time between track events at most.

I was reading Rennlist before driving my car and had some concerns about the CL stuff. After some use I know it's not as big a deal as made out to be.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 AM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Brake depressor tool??

Been using the handbrake+1st gear with the car on the ground to loosen them and then to tighten to spec with my manly big rig torque wrench.
Well if you do it with the wheels on the ground, of course it's easier!

But I'm a by-the-book-follow-procedures kind of guy, so with the wheels off the ground, even the handbrake + 1st gear aren't quite enough to hold the wheel for me when torquing to 600nm. I have steel brakes with Pagid yellows on and unless the brakes are first engaged with the master cylinder under boost, even that can't hold the wheel still.

And handbrake+1st gear certainly won't work for the front wheels, so the brake depressor tool is a must unless you can always depend on a helper. Brake depressor tool was a measly $25.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Originally Posted by Izzone

When my GTS comes in...I invite you over to my house for as much beer you want...a boat ride and dinner....just to make sure I'm doing the CL thingy correct.

I'm on the east side right on Tampa Bay so not too far from ya.
No problem

I like beer (good mircobtres$ and steak on grill

Invite Scott over we can have some fun

Quick Reply: "More" Flippin' Fun with Centerlocks !!!