Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"More" Flippin' Fun with Centerlocks !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default "More" Flippin' Fun with Centerlocks !!!

Hi all,

I just had my car at the dealer this morning for the CL Re-call AB01 Campaign. Before my car went in I asked to speak with the shop manager regarding something I found in the new CL Supplement to the service manual which I had studied the night before. Note, there are no page numbers on this manual, but in Step 10 of the wheel change procedure (5 pages in, including the cover) it states that one must grease the conical surface of the wheel nut (the area "A" in the diagram). This is the part of the wheel nut that presses on to the wheel, and therefore a "torqued" surface. When the manager examined the "Porsche service information", a 19 page document that guides the service technicians through the examination for the AB01 re-call, he discovered that this document makes no mention of greasing this particular surface (only the threads on the nut and CL hub, and the inner part of the wheel nut). What to do?

My feeling is that the nut is designed to turn internally for a reason, i.e. when one has the nut in your hand front face down, one can press on the conical surface "A" and turn it with respect to the rest of the nut. Thus, when torqueing, the conical surface "A" presses against the wheel and then stays put at a relatively low torque, and outer nut spins as the nut is torqued to spec (now a whooping 444ft.lbs or 600Nm under all conditions, street or track). Also, on our OEM wheels, the tappered torqued surfarce is machined to be slightly rough. So why the hell would we grease conical surface “A”?

What is the right answer? What to your guys think?

I have raised a case # with Porsche NA to get to the bottom of this fairly LARGE ambiguity in the new owner's manual supplement and will report back.

Cheers!
Doug N
Old 07-28-2011, 03:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know but i'll take 5 lugs over all this we have going on with our CL's
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

I usually torque them to about ca ouple of 1000Nm after a few beers, so I'm sure I will be OK..

Getting new nuts next week.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:32 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

He-he! 1000Nm, you must have your own elephant in the paddack to help loosen your wheels nuts after a day's worth of heat cylces!

Cheers!
Doug
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Also, on our OEM wheels, the tappered torqued surfarce is machined to be slightly rough. So why the hell would we grease conical surface “A”?
Perhaps the conical surface is machined to be rough in order to retain a "reservoir" of the grease when the fastener is torqued?

I'm really not sure myself, though I've been pretty generous with the grease so it gets almost everywhere anyway, and haven't had any issues after several events, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by masmole
Perhaps the conical surface is machined to be rough in order to retain a "reservoir" of the grease when the fastener is torqued?
Hmmm, good point. My problem is, I'm not gonna like the additional mess and putting grease on a torqued surface - especially one that really counts!

Cheers!
Doug N
Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM
rlips
Instructor

Honestly, the CL just take all the joy out of this car. A simple wheel change or inspection between runs becomes such an event. Something as simple as switching wheels left to right after a few runs to even out wear requires so much more work.

What were these people thinking
Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

After almost 2 years of owning CLs, I finally did my own change on my new RS. I really don't understand what the big deal is. It' pretty simple. I think it's a bit gimicky and Porsche didn't thoroughly test the CL under all conditions, but given that we have them on our cars, they really aren't that big of a deal.

Why grease? Because Porsche says so, so add some lube and put the f'in CL back on to the appropriate torque spec, then go have some fun on the track.

I'd probalby take 5 lug over the CL, but it's not causing my heartache or keeping me up at night.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Positive Approach

Originally Posted by brim
After almost 2 years of owning CLs, I finally did my own change on my new RS. I really don't understand what the big deal is. It' pretty simple. I think it's a bit gimicky and Porsche didn't thoroughly test the CL under all conditions, but given that we have them on our cars, they really aren't that big of a deal.

Why grease? Because Porsche says so, so add some lube and put the f'in CL back on to the appropriate torque spec, then go have some fun on the track.

I'd probalby take 5 lug over the CL, but it's not causing my heartache or keeping me up at night.
You are so NOT a *****.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 887 Likes on 537 Posts

They look so good I don't mind them that much either. The torque multiplier works pretty well and when checking against the monster torque wrench, it's pretty accurate. Hope I don't change my tune after the first DE coming up at RA...
Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by brim

I disagree. Sure, if you have to do it once every two years, in a controlled enviorment, no issue. Maybe even fun. But I was at an open track event this past week, and drove 500 miles in two days on the track. Multiple tire changes, brake bleed, even a brake pad change. Try doing it 4 or 5 times in a couple of days at the track, when it's hot and you want to get the car back out. Not fun.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Anyone who thinks that the CL's are not a PITA, hasn't R&R'd enough wheels yet!

I've put my 2 years of track event changes in too!

Have a great weekend guys!
Doug N
Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Anyone who thinks that the CL's are not a PITA, hasn't R&R'd enough wheels yet!

I've put my 2 years of track event changes in too!

Have a great weekend guys!
Doug N
I've watched Trakcar and Izzone change a lot of CL's...no big deal never hear them complain. I bet NO ONE on rennlist has messed with CL's than these 2 guys! I talked to both before I bought the GTS w/ CL's.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Got 'em, hate 'em. Just sayin'
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've watched Trakcar and Izzone change a lot of CL's...no big deal never hear them complain. I bet NO ONE on rennlist has messed with CL's than these 2 guys! I talked to both before I bought the GTS w/ CL's.
Hmmm make that Randy as I don't think Peter has done many tire changes or brake bleeds

Peter

Quick Reply: "More" Flippin' Fun with Centerlocks !!!