Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who's running a fix back seat that's not made by Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
what do people mean by 'halo' seat?
i still do not know.
Seat with wrap around the head

Good for race car, not street
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, thanks!
yeah, no good for cruising the streets; want to see ladies, turn head and see black nomex.
i don't think the five-o would like it either and discussion would ensue if pulled over.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

If they are all FIA certified, or at least the ones I'm looking at, what would be the noticeable differences then? They're clearly very strong (FIA) cert, so does it just boil down the one you like the best or is there significantly different quality when it comes to the actual material covers and padding that make spending a few extra bucks worth it. Hard to tell looking at them online. Winecountry in Sebring is closed till the fall.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Dog, you should drive over to Wine Country's main store on the east coast of FL. If you are going with a FIA Cert seat, just go sit in them and pick the one that is most comfortable to you. I sat in many seats this year when I was thinking about seats for the red car and they all fit and feel different.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Dog, you should drive over to Wine Country's main store on the east coast of FL. If you are going with a FIA Cert seat, just go sit in them and pick the one that is most comfortable to you. I sat in many seats this year when I was thinking about seats for the red car and they all fit and feel different.
+1 Mike is 110% correct. Fit and comfort is key. Sort of like buying a helmet they may all be Snell 2010 but the sure don't all fit and feel the same.

Peter
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Also....I'd like to add that I am not saying to go to a store to try on there products for fit and then go order it online elsewhere. If you find a seat that works for you make a deal and buy those seats.

I plan on going over to Winder Country to try on a driving suit as I need one for PBOC Super Solo....if I find one that fits I'm buying that suit.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Make sure you're considering the need for floor mounts and sliders too, not sure that's included in the "brackets" you speak of but it's something to consider. Double locking sliders and floor adapters could very easily add another $400-500 to your budget. That's the best part about the OEM seats, is they are a complete solution, literally a no brainer to install.

I went through all of these options with my old car and aftermarket seats and in most cases by the time I had all of the pieces fo the puzzle I was maybe $200 less than the cost of the OEM Recaros ('6 GT3 recaro's that is) for an aftermarket, non-leather seat vs. the OEM Leather recaro's which will also hold their value much better as well.

Andy
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 AM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I recently installed a pair of the Profi XL. I am 6' 1" 190 lb and sat in the Pole Position and the Profi XL. I liked the extra room in the XL but the Pole Position is not that much smaller and would be fine. I think the standard Profi non XL would be too small for your size.

I would also recommend you get the longer Euro sport seat receptacles if you are going to use the 3 pt belt.
996toomey: Did you gain any headroom with the Recaros? I am the same/similar height and weight but long torso, and have headroom issues with a helmet (GT2 seats place me too high for a helmet). The Do these seats with sliders gain any headroom or lose it from the normal sports?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
996toomey: Did you gain any headroom with the Recaros? I am the same/similar height and weight but long torso, and have headroom issues with a helmet (GT2 seats place me too high for a helmet). The Do these seats with sliders gain any headroom or lose it from the normal sports?

Thanks!

Mike
My set up definately sits lower than the Porsche GT2 style buckets (had those in my last car) and sits about the same as my stock non adaptive sport seats. I am on the RSS bases and I believe these bases get the seat as low as possible in the car.

Also the Recaro uprights are adjustable for height front and rear so you can get a little seat rake / tilt if desired.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Make sure you're considering the need for floor mounts and sliders too, not sure that's included in the "brackets" you speak of but it's something to consider. Double locking sliders and floor adapters could very easily add another $400-500 to your budget. That's the best part about the OEM seats, is they are a complete solution, literally a no brainer to install.

I went through all of these options with my old car and aftermarket seats and in most cases by the time I had all of the pieces fo the puzzle I was maybe $200 less than the cost of the OEM Recaros ('6 GT3 recaro's that is) for an aftermarket, non-leather seat vs. the OEM Leather recaro's which will also hold their value much better as well.

Andy

Brey Krause makes brackets for most aftermarket seats to Porsche manual 6GT3 Sliders.

Found this and it is a heck of a deal and i would be all over it IF I hadn't just purchased 1 for my M3.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1695210

Peter
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Brey Krause makes brackets for most aftermarket seats to Porsche manual 6GT3 Sliders.
Peter
Just a comment on the BK side mounts along with OE Porsche manual sliders......this, for some, makes the seat too high. If so, the only solution, that I'm aware is going to the BK floor mount (stationary).....not good.
I'm still looking for a better solution for a 996TT with Sparco Evo2s.

I had the pleasure of sitting in a GT3RS at Savannah Parade and talking with owner who has tracked the car quite alot this season and having great fun.
I was impressed with the mount/placement/and position of the seats. They were excellent.

What's the secret with GT3RS....are 997s that dif......I'd like to copy or fabricate what Porsche did there.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
+1 Mike is 110% correct. Fit and comfort is key. Sort of like buying a helmet they may all be Snell 2010 but the sure don't all fit and feel the same.

Peter
I don't think it matters whether they are FIA certified or not, you should always test fit a track seat.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by 996toomey
My set up definately sits lower than the Porsche GT2 style buckets (had those in my last car) and sits about the same as my stock non adaptive sport seats. I am on the RSS bases and I believe these bases get the seat as low as possible in the car.

Also the Recaro uprights are adjustable for height front and rear so you can get a little seat rake / tilt if desired.
Do you know if these brackets fit the GT2 Sport Bucket seat to allow of easy lowering and tilt back?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Do you know if these brackets fit the GT2 Sport Bucket seat to allow of easy lowering and tilt back?
I do not believe they will.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm trying to find a way to test fit some seats. Unfortunately Wine Country (Sebring Branch) is closed for the summer. Would have to drive to south Florida if this is something I would like to do now. I'm definitely not ordering anything until I've had an opportunity to try it out. Too expensive to make a mistake.

Quick Reply: Who's running a fix back seat that's not made by Porsche?