Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who's running a fix back seat that's not made by Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Who's running a fix back seat that's not made by Porsche?

I'd like to upgrade the safety equipment in my car. I'm looking at seats, harness bar, a hans etc...

I WILL NOT pay $6.5 for 7-2 Porche OEM seats. That just seems ridiculous. Less than 2 years ago, 6-3 seats were $2500. Now they are $4500. Clearly someone at Porsche just decided one day that they were going increase the seat margins to absurd levels...

Was considering some Recaro Pole Positions or Profi's.

Any pitfalls or things I need to know about swapping seats? Things I should be concerned with?

Any advice would be appreciated. If there's another seat option I would be open to hearing about that as well.

I'm 5-6, 170, so I should fit in most anything I'm guessing
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'd like to upgrade the safety equipment in my car. I'm looking at seats, harness bar, a hans etc...

I WILL NOT pay $6.5 for 7-2 Porche OEM seats. That just seems ridiculous. Less than 2 years ago, 6-3 seats were $2500. Now they are $4500. Clearly someone at Porsche just decided one day that they were going increase the seat margins to absurd levels...

Any pitfalls or things I need to know about swapping seats? Things I should be concerned with?

Any advice would be appreciated. If there's another seat option I would be open to hearing about that as well.

Andrew,

I am partial to the Sparco Pro 2000 I am 5' 10" and weigh 190 fit is snug and comfortable. I used this seat in the On Lap M3/GT3 and even with up to 900 mile transits it was comfortable and no back pain. I couldn't say the same for the 6GT3 buckets in the GT2 very uncomfortable for long periods. just my .02c

Peter
Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently installed a pair of the Profi XL. I am 6' 1" 190 lb and sat in the Pole Position and the Profi XL. I liked the extra room in the XL but the Pole Position is not that much smaller and would be fine. I think the standard Profi non XL would be too small for your size.

I would also recommend you get the longer Euro sport seat receptacles if you are going to use the 3 pt belt.
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2011, 12:06 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Andrew,

I am partial to the Sparco Pro 2000 I am 5' 10" and weigh 190 fit is snug and comfortable. I used this seat in the On Lap M3/GT3 and even with up to 900 mile transits it was comfortable and no back pain. I couldn't say the same for the 6GT3 buckets in the GT2 very uncomfortable for long periods. just my .02c

Peter
What was involved with fitting them? Who's brackets did you use?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I recently installed a pair of the Profi XL. I am 6' 1" 190 lb and sat in the Pole Position and the Profi XL. I liked the extra room in the XL but the Pole Position is not that much smaller and would be fine. I think the standard Profi non XL would be too small for your size.

I would also recommend you get the longer Euro sport seat receptacles if you are going to use the 3 pt belt.
If I don't fit in the regular profi, who the heck does?

So you think the profi xl would be a decent fit for me?

What about installing the profi? What did you use for brackets? Are there srs lights after removing the stock seats?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a used set of Euro GT3 996 seats. They seem to come up for sale every couple of months. After installing, have you dealer go into the ECU and turn off the side airbags so you won't get a light. BTW, sport buckets are only a $3K option, i.e. bargain compared to swapping later.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Look for a used set of Euro GT3 996 seats. They seem to come up for sale every couple of months. After installing, have you dealer go into the ECU and turn off the side airbags so you won't get a light. BTW, sport buckets are only a $3K option, i.e. bargain compared to swapping later.
I had those in my last car. Reallllly uncomfortable if you're not on the track. I've been in worse, but I'm not a huge fan. If I go down that road I'll just get the recaro pole position since its essentially the same seat for half the money.

Came across this from Cobra. Looks great. Reasonably priced. And FIA approved. Combine this with a set of BK mounts and sub bars... Might have a winner here for under 2k with everything included. I like the fact that the thigh bolsters are a little lower than the recoros. It was really difficult getting in and out of the 996 GT3 seats.

http://www.cobraseats.com/Imola-Pro
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like someone's a little desperate to get their car ready for DE's. Wonder what would cause such a motivation....
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Fortunately for me, the sword is much greater than the swordsman in your case. I predict your lap times are identical to your last car. Wait, I mean the last last car. You know the one you had two weeks ago, but not the one from last week. I mean the one from this week
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

LOL, ok that was funny. I will probably be slower at the beginning than the C2S. Oh well, patience is the key. I would just practice your situational awareness a little more now....

Back to topic, I like those cobra's above. Are there any seats that resemble oem GT2?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I have sat in the Recaros above, not a bad seat

I still am confused why everyone complains about $6k for GT2 seats, but are more than happy to pay $3k extra when ordering a car. The stock "sofa" seats are worth 2-3K on the used market so the delta is really the same as buying them on a new car

Back to "the Greek" vs "the Dog". I have been on the fence about cancelling going to Sebring just to watch you two duke it out at Roebling. Horsepower is less of an advantage over tires and suspension at Roebling.

Nick with your new cheater mobile you should be sub 1:19 easily on R-comp.

Burke, on RA1 you shoudl be 1:20ish if you drive a perfect lap without spining
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek
LOL, ok that was funny. I will probably be slower at the beginning than the C2S. Oh well, patience is the key. I would just practice your situational awareness a little more now....

Back to topic, I like those cobra's above. Are there any seats that resemble oem GT2?
Nothing that really looks identical. I like the GT2. I just don't like the pass throughs in the headrest. It doesn't look bad but I would prefer the look of just two holes. The closest I've found so far is the cobra. I do want cloth as well. I think it will wear better and is definitely a bit cooler.

GT2 seat

Cobra Imola FIA certified

Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I have sat in the Recaros above, not a bad seat

I still am confused why everyone complains about $6k for GT2 seats, but are more than happy to pay $3k extra when ordering a car. The stock "sofa" seats are worth 2-3K on the used market so the delta is really the same as buying them on a new car
Problem is I can't sell my seats... I put them up as a feeler. No interested. Even though my seats are heated, I think the yellow stitching is a deal breaker for most. Stitching looks amazing, but does look better when combined with other stitching in the car. Might look out of place if the seats are the only stitching in the car.

Not to mention, I can't get a set of FIA certified seats with brackets, sub bars, delivered for less than 2k out the door.

I still say the pricing is a total rip off. Price shouldn't be double because you didn't order it with the car. Ran into the same problem with my cayenne. Tow hitch was $600 if you ordered it from factory. $2k installed at dealer. We bought ours off the lot so didn't have the option of ordering it with. F' that....

Since I can't sell my seats without giving them away I'll just put them in the garage and keep them for when I eventually sell the car.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 417 Posts

Andrew

I got side brackets from I believe Sparco which attached to the oem 6GT3 Porsche manual sliders. Very easy fit.

I was wrong it is Brey Krause who makes the brackets. http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9071.php

Peter

Last edited by 85Gold; 08-07-2011 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add content
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had those in my last car. Reallllly uncomfortable if you're not on the track. I've been in worse, but I'm not a huge fan. If I go down that road I'll just get the recaro pole position since its essentially the same seat for half the money.

http://www.cobraseats.com/Imola-Pro
I test fitted about a dozen seats before buying a pair for my previous 996. I found the opposite to your comments. The Euro GT3 seats I found were the most comfortable of the monoform seats I tried. They were more padded and softer padded than the other seats out there. I made several 3+ hour trips with them without ever noticing any discomfort. The only fitting issue is if your butt fits in them as unlike the sport buckets, they have no padding on the sides of the butt area and if you are too big then I could see an issue. I also noticed that Euro GT3 seats ran a little wider than the standard monoform race seats, so if you have problems fitting in them then only look at ordering the wide version of an of the race seats out there.

BTW, I liked my Euro GT3 seats so much that I kept them when I sold my 996 and installed them in my 79' SC with a pair of BK brackets. Versus sport buckets, I noticed the seat rails of the Euro GT3 seats place you slightly lower than sport buckets and the backrest is a little more vertical. Did you have the real ones or the cheap ebay copies? I have a friend with the copies and found them very uncomfortable. They are narrower, less padded and don't flex like the OEM fiberglass seats do.

Quick Reply: Who's running a fix back seat that's not made by Porsche?