Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock Wheel System and Track Usage

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

A quote from the now closed thread that belongs here perhaps:

Bob Rouleau: Centerlock wheels are tricky. For example, every time I remove or install mine, I have to tighten the five bolts in the studs. They get loose, every time I run the car on the track! Failure to do so will cause all sorts of problems. The wheel will seat on the bolt heads (not good!) causing damage to the wheel, noise and in the worst case preventing the centerlock nut from seating and LOCKING! Problems can arise if the CL mechanism is not frequently lubed as per the PCNA tech bulletin.

FWIW, I have informed our DE tech line to check that the locking button in the center of the CL nut is popped out. If not, the CL may not be locked! we were surprised at how many were not in the correct position. There were 40 GT3s at our last event so we had a pretty good sample. All of which goes to say that Centerlocks are tricky things.
Bob, I never had the bolts or the red nubbies come loose and I do check them when changing wheels?! I wonder why your do? It's like checking the little bolt that keeps the rotor on, you don't want them loose.

On the not locking part, I could not agree nmore, amazing how many GT3's I have seen on track without wheels locked.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Bob, I never had the bolts or the red nubbies come loose and I do check them when changing wheels?! I wonder why your do? It's like checking the little bolt that keeps the rotor on, you don't want them loose.
Same here, mine don't move. They are still the factory installed ones, though. A new set of front rotors is due soon. I'll see what happens after that.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Peter I guess I'm lucky. Andrei you don't have enough track miles yet, you may get lucky like me In any event, I hate the CL and if I didn't have 3 sets of wheels, I'd go for the conversion. I haven't changed rotors yet so everything but the pads are factory original.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Peter I guess I'm lucky. Andrei you don't have enough track miles yet, you may get lucky like me In any event, I hate the CL and if I didn't have 3 sets of wheels, I'd go for the conversion. I haven't changed rotors yet so everything but the pads are factory original.
You must drive tracks easy on brakes

I'm on second set of fronts, working towards third
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace #1,2&3 with a torque multiplier
Old 09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
A quote from the now closed thread that belongs here perhaps:

On the not locking part, I could not agree nmore, amazing how many GT3's I have seen on track without wheels locked.
The drive pins (red nubbies) are supposed to be Locktited (blue). They should not be coming loose.

SHOULD NOT..but they do. And yes, I am easy on brakes except when racing.

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel System and Track Usage