Ultimate VTG engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
. There also was a log that had a long row of 2550 mbar boost pressure ie the engine was severly overboosting if the limit was set to 1.45 bar.
I presume you are talking about one of my logs ? if yes then why is 1.45bar the limit, surely the limit on my engine is higher ?

This overboosting was also seen from ignition angle and lambda value...both timing and injection vere pulled as a Motronic safety feature. But why wasn't Motronic adapting boost by adjusting vanes as per original design??
can you show which log you are referring to ?

Considering a 997 turbo's VGT maps there's still some 30% of vane opening left at 1.5 Bar... Without external device no-one really know how much boost there really was and the explosion of intake plenum is not surprising. For this external device I can recommend Race Technology DL-1 with CAN OBD interface and Dash 3 display. Fully configurable and much faster sample rate than Durametric. For accurate boost readings you also need a proper pressure sensor like the one they sell on their web pages. Bosch unit up to 2.5 bar absolute.
the intake plenum exploding is nothing to do with the boost levels it is to do with a misfire/backfire which occurred as the boost ramps up at 2500rpm, the boost overshoots and the ignition cuts causing the problem, it is mostly fixed now.

OTH datalog at post# 179 shows stable and correct boost with nice delta OAT/IAT and reasonable EGT. At least when compared to that one log mentioned before. Unfortunately I did not find any mention about 997's Motronic's IAT limits, but IIRC in 996 turbo Motronic starts to pull timing when IAT is above 55C..
I have the timing/boost/IAT tables for my engine, they are tuner adjustable, from memory mine start changing from optimum at 39C..... the level can be set after testing and ascertaining the conditions where the first knock is detected.
Again the log in post #188 shows boost pressure above 1.55 bar, rather rich A/FR ( lambda .75 = 11.0:1 ) and modest ignition advance but nice delta OAT/IAT.
Also worth considering that programming for GT2 expansion manifold uses a lot more ignition advance. GT on here has a Sportec motor which wrings over 700hp out of the expansion manifolds and has mega ign advance and likes to eat its spark plugs at a fair rate...
On Earl's post (#207) there's also a maxed out HFM (4.78V) with rather high airflow reading (2163 kg/hr). If this is correct (from different HFM units and re-scaled program) it's about 750 crankhp. delta OAT/IAT is amazingly/suspiciously low, EGT on the low side too and lambda is nice around 0.8-0.83 ( both sides of 12.0:1).
the OAT/IAT delta is about right for 4 seconds of fourth gear loading, it goes up about 6 degrees with 4 seconds of low load boost which comes on at a highish 3600rpm.
Then this project of installing and programming a turbo's Motronic to a GT2 instead of re-programming GT2's one.Outsider could think that switching from expansion manifold to an ordinary one just requires adapting old maps to changed IATs and effective boost pressure without inventing the wheel again and banging one's head to "how to switch from full PSM to SC/TC" wall...because that part of Motronic's files is heavily protected. I really do hope that you didn't have to pay for all of that time they spent with the programmming.
I am interested in exactly what other tuner's solutions were when using the 997t manifold on the GT2, I suspect the GT2 TC/SC systems are all ditched....
I paid the price in how long my car was off the road !
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avader906
There could of been errors in air mass calculations due to turbo intake and variocam at these RPMs - resulting in too advanced timing / too lean. It's pretty clear that intake runners got blown from backfire (the cause of that could be overboost which in itself could be due to incorrect ignition/boost tables or because of VTG control problems).
Surprising that you didnt update the thread earlier with exactly what RS found out. Half the thread is around speculation of probable causes. That and your attitude Toby prevents other people from sharing with you. rgds
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I presume you are talking about one of my logs ? if yes then why is 1.45bar the limit, surely the limit on my engine is higher ?
Logs in posts #1 & 17 show steady 1.45 bar boost. As about that higher limit, IMO it should be within the limits of the sensor. The only one the eengine uses.

can you show which log you are referring to ?
Post #82 and some others after that.

the intake plenum exploding is nothing to do with the boost levels it is to do with a misfire/backfire which occurred as the boost ramps up at 2500rpm, the boost overshoots and the ignition cuts causing the problem, it is mostly fixed now.
This boost overshooting for prolonged periods puzzle me. I can understand that with my own engine which has auxiliary unit controlling actuators as a function of RPM & boost pressure, but even that one does it just at gears 1-2 (3 in some conditions) and for 1-2 tenth of a second but not long enough to engage Motronic's safety features. WITH OEM protections that shouldn't just be possible.

Also worth considering that programming for GT2 expansion manifold uses a lot more ignition advance. GT on here has a Sportec motor which wrings over 700hp out of the expansion manifolds and has mega ign advance and likes to eat its spark plugs at a fair rate...
I prefer that approach to tuning. Plug problem should be avoidable with suitable plugs and enhanced coils.

the OAT/IAT delta is about right for 4 seconds of fourth gear loading, it goes up about 6 degrees with 4 seconds of low load boost which comes on at a highish 3600rpm.
True.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by avader906
Surprising that you didnt update the thread earlier with exactly what RS found out. Half the thread is around speculation of probable causes. That and your attitude Toby prevents other people from sharing with you. rgds
You obviously haven't dealt with RS otherwise you would know they don't share technical information, the money they spent on the Bosch engineer who worked on my engine is their proprietary information.
I detailed my misfire problem in case someone else had the same, I like to present tuning results warts and all, I never promised any solution.
I correspond with many Porsche owners who seem to be able to live with my "attitude" and have done on forums for many years
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM
GT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using different (better apparently) plugs that sportec recommended. Still, shifting at 7,800 (limiter) takes its toll especially when its 30 degrees+ ambient. No 20k miles interval for plugs for my car!

Anyway every tuning method has different pro and cons. Toby's seems to have the best response of any modded car of that power -or even lower- that I ve seen & huge torque in the mid end. Mine has a higher red line but boosts at a bit higher rpm and seems very reliable. Response is impressive between 6-8k rpm (like a 3rd turbo kicks in) but torque is a bit flatter between 5.-6k rpm. It is also very fuel dependent as with ignition timing of 23-25 at high rpm you cant have fuel below euro 98 oct pump or impure fuel of any kind. (common in a few european countries these days). So there is no 1 size fits all really.

I seem to have had -with my previous tune- this sort of cutoff/hesitation that Toby described when torque is building up. Spent over a year and $$ trying to find where it was coming from. At the end we thought it was just a back pressure limitation of the stock cylinder heads for this kind of torque and ended up opening the engine..
Only to find out that it was an electronic limiter which i was told is a function of load/ rpm/ torque etc that was breached under certain conditions. So it was solved at the end with software alteration. I think i read something like that in the long post above from the technical manual.
I share the same experience with Toby regarding getting information from European tuners..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a little extract of a log I grabbed to illustrate boost response for my Ultimate VTG engine.
0.49s from no boost to full boost in 4th gear - gives you fellow geeks something to compare, even those of you with late boosting VTGs can test your boost response

Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 AM
RS38
Intermediate

Each of the
two mass air flow sensors can measure an air mass of up
to 800 kg/h.

NOTE: 997 turbo and GT2 has same HFMs and Throttle Body.
NOTE: 1600 kg/h = 0.44 kg/sec = 0.34 m3/sec = 58 lbs/min

this is not true.

997's stock HFM can properly read air mass up to (1060 kg/h * 2,3%) *2 = 2168 kg/h where they are capped.
Stock Diagnosis will recognize short cup at 2000 kh/h or 1060kg each.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RS38
this is not true.

997's stock HFM can properly read air mass up to (1060 kg/h * 2,3%) *2 = 2168 kg/h where they are capped.
Stock Diagnosis will recognize short cup at 2000 kh/h or 1060kg each.
Pls post the complaint to Factory Tech Dept. That was a copy-paste from OEM document...

EDIT: MAF's part number is: PORSCHE 997 606 125 00 / BOSCH 0 280 218 192. While I didn't find an exact datasheet for that, here's data for similar Bosch HFM in different sizes. See HFM 5 for flow/voltage comparison. OEM MAF ID is 73mm...

Last edited by pete95zhn; 10-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
RS38
Intermediate

I do not complain. But I do not rely on information which I did not re-check myself inside the ECU

the public data sheets of Bosch HFMs also do not cover the HFM5 from the 996 turbos.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have known for some months that RS have been developing a new VTG turbo with the aim of lowering IATs enough that they can offer good ~670PS power without the need for their proprietry Secan intercoolers which at 15K Euro a set put off most punters.

Just so happens that yesterday after a high speed run one of my turbos started making some scary noises when trying to produce boost, sounded like a Police siren when it happened and scared the cr*p out of me ) so I am scheduled for a visit to RS in a couple of weeks for a full engine refresh and installation of these new VTG blowers and an engine dyno mapping session.

To get my car the 1000 miles to Bavaria RS are sending me a single VTG unit to "get me there", they won't send me the new development units since apparently they won't bolt on to my current set up as they have a bigger openings (this is what I understood but TBH the language barrier makes it very difficult - suffice to say they are sending me a smaller VTG to stick on so I can make the journey).

So the first thing of interest is when I get the current 740PS units off I hope to be able to get the mechanic to take off the comp housing (is this easy ?) and I will get a measurement and photo of their super duper unique compressor wheel - remember they are "apparently a design made for them from a sponsored university student" - will be fun to hear peoples views

Will be fun to compare to this

These are photos posted by Pete after Earl outed the Champion 68mm units as having these wheels - do we have any more info on this, is it fact or speculation ?

So hopefully Ultimate VTG engine mark 2 is in the making
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So hopefully Ultimate VTG engine mark 2 is in the making

Lets hope you dont get lured into something steeper
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
RS38
Intermediate

I guess the outer diameter is more like 66mm than 68mm (-> see it's not right aligning...)
Will be a kind of drawback considering spooling I guess.
original compressor wheels are ~55mm and quite tiny which is part of the reason why they build up boost very fast.

What is the inner diameter of that wheel?
Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RS38
I guess the outer diameter is more like 66mm than 68mm (-> see it's not right aligning...)

What is the inner diameter of that wheel?

I guess Bigger is better in that case
Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

ooops......

Last edited by TB993tt; 10-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Ultimate VTG engines