Lighter wheel benefits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I got a 2007 GT3 RS back in 2008. With Magnesium wheels (BBS) and PCCB from a 996, I removed 92 lbs of unsprung weight. This car weighs 3,140 lbs with no fuel (U.S. version).

So, using the 4:1 factor, I saved 368 lbs, the equivalent to 2,770 lbs. Well, I drove a 996 with 2770 lbs and less power (380Hp) and that car was a rocket. My RS with 415Hp and the equivalent to 2,770 lbs was slow. I think the ratio is closer to 1:1.

I personally use a 1:1 ratio for unsprung weight reduction, and I want unsprung weight as close to 0 as possible.
Am not sure I understand your post, you are saying that your 996 was quicker than your 997, due to lower unsprung mass, but that the "ratio" is 1:1? That doesn't make sense...
Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 PM
mdeleeuw
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsprung Mass

Providing that adequate strength and safety factors are maintained, reduction of unsprung mass is always high on the list. Higher Unsprung mass will reduce the suspension natural frequency and generally reduce handling responsiveness. Any "extra" mass will also create additional inertial loads in the suspension as a result of road surfaces and require larger (heavier still!) components to resist this force. Body mounting points need to be reinforced to handle the higher loads. It becomes a never ending horror story...

The true benefit of lower unsprung mass is not the actual and effective reduction of total vehicle mass, but the improvement in handling dynamics through reduced inertia (not rotating inertia, but translational) of the suspension itself. One reason you see inboard brakes and inverted dampers in dedicated racing cars - no less total mass, but located for better dynamics of the wheel. Being that wheels are the outermost (farthest from the chassis) component with the highest dynamics, any weight savings there pay more dividends in handling than for instance a lighter weight spring or lower control arm.

Mike
Old 09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

996 with actual weight on scales at 2,770 lbs and 380Hp: Fast

997 with 3140 lbs minus 92 lbs of unsprung weight reduced (wheels/brakes) and 415Hp: Slow

Using a factor of 4:1 or even worse 6:1, my 997 would be so much lighter than my 996 and perform so much better, not a chance.

I use a 1:1 ratio, that's it. 92 lbs reduced on unsprung weight is 92 lbs reduced.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

997 with 3140 lbs minus 92 lbs of unsprung weight reduced (wheels/brakes) and 415Hp: Slow

Using a factor of 4:1 or even worse 6:1, my 997 would be so much lighter than my 996 and perform so much better, not a chance.

I use a 1:1 ratio, that's it. 92 lbs reduced on unsprung weight is 92 lbs reduced.
Just to clarify

1) I assume both cars are running on similar tires and dialled in suspensions?
2) Your 996 is running with HEAVIER wheels and brakes than your 997? 2770 lbs is very light, so I find it unlikely that you've got more unsprung mass on your 996 than your 997...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
LuckyP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's a funny thing:

Had a puncture recently on a std corsa shod rear RHS (24kg with tyre) 1 mile from home. Got a lift back to fetch a BBS shod with MPSC (21kg with tyre). Did the swap amd gingerly drove home. On the way back, I pulled some mild acceleration- no break of traction, and the car lunged off to the left each time!

BBS wheel and tyre was 3kg lighter, different tyres I grant you (and possibly a slightly different roll circ??) and offset 1mm difference I think.

Wonder if that lurch to the left was the weight difference?

Hmmmm....
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unsprung weight is not just about acceleration. There's also a handling element to all this. Less unsprung weight means the suspension can react faster to road irregularities, enabling better contact and traction. I agree, the ratio is not a hard science, but removing a pound of unsprung weight should yield better overall results, as a combination of acceleration & handling, than a pound of sprung weight.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuckyP
Here's a funny thing:

Had a puncture recently on a std corsa shod rear RHS (24kg with tyre) 1 mile from home. Got a lift back to fetch a BBS shod with MPSC (21kg with tyre). Did the swap amd gingerly drove home. On the way back, I pulled some mild acceleration- no break of traction, and the car lunged off to the left each time!

BBS wheel and tyre was 3kg lighter, different tyres I grant you (and possibly a slightly different roll circ??) and offset 1mm difference I think.

Wonder if that lurch to the left was the weight difference?

Hmmmm....
Nope, just a tire diameter difference. Due to the presence of a LSD, both rear tires need to have the same height. Happens to any RWD car with a LSD.

I used to run Pocono North course in Pennsylvania, most of the turns are right turns. If I spent a full day there, my car was slightly pulling to the left on the way back home. After I learned this, I started swapping the wheels left-to-right and right-to-left in the middle of the day.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aj986s
Unsprung weight is not just about acceleration. There's also a handling element to all this. Less unsprung weight means the suspension can react faster to road irregularities, enabling better contact and traction. I agree, the ratio is not a hard science, but removing a pound of unsprung weight should yield better overall results, as a combination of acceleration & handling, than a pound of sprung weight.
I prefer 1 lbs saved from unsprung weight than 1 lbs saved from sprung weight.

However, these ratios of every pound of unsprung weight being the equivalent to 6 lbs (or more) of sprung weight are just not right.

If I remove 100 lbs on unsprung weight, my car doesn't feel like a 600 lbs lighter car, not in acceleration, braking or turning. This is why I'm fine using a 1:1 ratio.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmardini
Just to clarify

1) I assume both cars are running on similar tires and dialled in suspensions?
2) Your 996 is running with HEAVIER wheels and brakes than your 997? 2770 lbs is very light, so I find it unlikely that you've got more unsprung mass on your 996 than your 997...
1) it has nothing to do with unsprung weight
2) buy a postal scale, put parts on scale, write weights on paper, sum, then compare. Tip: my 997 ran 996 PCCB rotors
Old 09-08-2011, 11:31 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

1) it has nothing to do with unsprung weight
2) buy a postal scale, put parts on scale, write weights on paper, sum, then compare. Tip: my 997 ran 996 PCCB rotors
When comparing apples to apples, its important to have as few variables as possible.

So

1) Is important for ruling out external variables (re: tires and suspension)
and
2) Your 996 and 997 are not a suitable comparison unless your super-light 996 has not had weight reduction in wheels&brakes or other unsprung components. It DOES make a difference, if you're going to compare the performance of two cars particularly when considering dynamic weight to try and compare the same things.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Yorkshireman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to invoke the Math god, but Newton's law of motions says that F (force) = m (mass) x a (acceleration). So, igoring losses like aero and friction, acceleration is force divided by mass. So you take mass out, any mass, and it improves acceleration. So, the ratio is 1:1.

Now there are other effects that are special to removing unsprung mass rather than just any mass. Unsprung and non-rotational mass, like A-arms, reduce suspension inertia and allow it to work better. Serge944's comments on the effect of rotational mass like wheels, brake disks, flywheel etc are spot on, in that rotational mass also imroves the engine's ability to spin up faster.

So, I think the whole "what is the ratio" question has been safely "busted". Removing ANY mass will improve acceleration. Unsprung mass will also positively affect the ability of the suspension to respond and rotational mass (thanks Serge944) will improve the motors ability to spin up faster.

One last point. Just one more reson to love those PCCBs! I think that they have a much larger effect on both unspring and rotational mass than any other mod, including the beloved RS flywheel mod. LOL.

Carl.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
It's the distance from the axis of rotation that matters - the energy of the rotating mass is proportional to the SQUARE of the distance from the axis. The energy is also proportional to the square of the angular momentum...so the faster you go, the bigger the difference unsprung weight makes.

Tire weight/width makes the biggest difference as its the furthest from the axis of rotation.

Trying to have some kind of magic ratio of sprung vs unsprung weight is silly when the tire diameter/width alone has such a huge impact.

Glad to see that two weeks of drinking and clubing in Eastern Europe, haven't caused irreversible damage to you brain cells and that money spent for your degree are not wasted.

I got a 2007 GT3 RS back in 2008. With Magnesium wheels (BBS) and PCCB from a 996, I removed 92 lbs of unsprung weight. This car weighs 3,140 lbs with no fuel (U.S. version).

So, using the 4:1 factor, I saved 368 lbs, the equivalent to 2,770 lbs. Well, I drove a 996 with 2770 lbs and less power (380Hp) and that car was a rocket. My RS with 415Hp and the equivalent to 2,770 lbs was slow. I think the ratio is closer to 1:1.

I personally use a 1:1 ratio for unsprung weight reduction, and I want unsprung weight as close to 0 as possible.
Yes, in a straight line it, removing weight from either, feels to be the same..

Originally Posted by mdeleeuw
Providing that adequate strength and safety factors are maintained, reduction of unsprung mass is always high on the list. Higher Unsprung mass will reduce the suspension natural frequency and generally reduce handling responsiveness. Any "extra" mass will also create additional inertial loads in the suspension as a result of road surfaces and require larger (heavier still!) components to resist this force. Body mounting points need to be reinforced to handle the higher loads. It becomes a never ending horror story...

The true benefit of lower unsprung mass is not the actual and effective reduction of total vehicle mass, but the improvement in handling dynamics through reduced inertia (not rotating inertia, but translational) of the suspension itself. One reason you see inboard brakes and inverted dampers in dedicated racing cars - no less total mass, but located for better dynamics of the wheel. Being that wheels are the outermost (farthest from the chassis) component with the highest dynamics, any weight savings there pay more dividends in handling than for instance a lighter weight spring or lower control arm.

Mike
Agreed

Originally Posted by aj986s
Agreed

Originally Posted by Yorkshireman
I hate to invoke the Math god, but Newton's law of motions says that F (force) = m (mass) x a (acceleration). So, igoring losses like aero and friction, acceleration is force divided by mass. So you take mass out, any mass, and it improves acceleration. So, the ratio is 1:1.

Now there are other effects that are special to removing unsprung mass rather than just any mass. Unsprung and non-rotational mass, like A-arms, reduce suspension inertia and allow it to work better. Serge944's comments on the effect of rotational mass like wheels, brake disks, flywheel etc are spot on, in that rotational mass also imroves the engine's ability to spin up faster.

So, I think the whole "what is the ratio" question has been safely "busted". Removing ANY mass will improve acceleration. Unsprung mass will also positively affect the ability of the suspension to respond and rotational mass (thanks Serge944) will improve the motors ability to spin up faster.

One last point. Just one more reson to love those PCCBs! I think that they have a much larger effect on both unspring and rotational mass than any other mod, including the beloved RS flywheel mod. LOL.

Carl.
PCCB ftw!

And now that I 've agreed with everybody let me quote Olaf Manthey:

“Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car, as a 1:6 factor has to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass. In fact, we are conservative with the 1:6 ratio, as Porsche considers it to be 1:7."

link

Nice..?
The following users liked this post:
cosanchez (08-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Glad to see that two weeks of drinking and clubing in Eastern Europe, haven't caused irreversible damage to you brain cells and that money spent for you degree are not wasted.

Yes, in a straight line it, removing weight from either, feels to be the same..

Agreed

Agreed

PCCB ftw!

“Removing 33 pounds of unsprung weight at the wheels is equivalent to losing 198 pounds from the body of the car, as a 1:6 factor has to be applied when the car is moving and that weight becomes mass. In fact, we are conservative with the 1:6 ratio, as Porsche considers it to be 1:7."

link

Nice..?
The SLOW has spoken...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW

link

Nice..?
That's so wrong from Mr. Manthey, and even worse from Porsche.

Case in point, my 997 GT3 RS at 3,075 lbs with 3 gallons of fuel. Carbon GT2 seats, LW battery, Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipes, no rollbar, everything else standard. Assume same tire brand, model, width.

Car1: 3,075 lbs 2007 GT3 RS

Now I replace the rotors with 996 GT3 PCCB and the wheels with BBS 9"/11"x18 Magesium wheels, for a total unsprung weight saving of 90 lbs.

Car2: 2,985 lbs 2007 GT3 RS (PCCB+BBS Mg)

So, this German company and this other German guy claim that Car2 has the equivalent to a weight loss of 540 lbs or 630 lbs? Car2 has the equivalent to a weight loss of 630 lbs to get down to 2,445 lbs. 2,445 lbs? really?

Car2 should be massively faster than Car1, Car2 would actually beat a GT3 Cup.

Biggest BS I have read in a long time. I stick to my 1:1 ratio.

Car3: 2,675 lbs 2007 GT3 RS (400 lbs lighter than Car1) but still carrying the heavy brakes and wheels as stock.

Manthey and Porsche say Car2 would be faster (I mean lap times, not drag racing), I say Car3 beats them all by a mile.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:11 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

As I said, I agree with you in straight line acceleration terms it feels (and reads) the same, but removing unsprung weight helps with everything else..
Let's call it a 1+something:1 ratio. : )

But on the other hand, I had to quote Mr. Manthey..

Quick Reply: Lighter wheel benefits