Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ponzzzz
looks cool, but needs the crest also
Here's the shot from the back:

Old 10-16-2011, 07:57 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Maiden voyage under my ownership was last weekend. Trailer was great. Weather sucked. On the bright side, I arrived to late to get a garage and the trailer kept all my gear in the paddock dry.

Only two issues so far. Previous owner had a 997 with side exhausts. I think I managed to melt some of my trailer brake wire cabling with the center exhaust. It still works, but some sort of thermal reinforcement is in order.

Second. 997S wheels are apparently much narrower than GT3 wheels. He had a chock that allowed him to fit four wheels/tires across. I can only do 3. Which creates a problem itself as there's too much space left over and the wheels don't support each other to stand up. There's enough room to lay 2 flat and lean the other two against them, but takes up way too much real estate and becomes a game of tetris when loading the trailer with the jack, tools, and goped. Got to have the goped
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Maybe. Which event?
I will be there for both days of PCA event and Sunday for Chin (maybe Saturday too)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead-

I'm installing a hitch on my GT2... It's a hidden hitch with a 2" receiver mounted behind the license plate, completely hidden if the shank is not in. I'll be towing an Aluma AE46 custom made to 31" interior height. I should be able to put a set of wheels/tires in there no problem, standing up, along with a jack, stands, some chairs, and maybe even an EZ up.

Comments?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

sweet set up!

congrats!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:27 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

That Aluma is a very cool trailer, was not aware of it. For a tow behind I think that is the ideal size as it limits (good thing) what you can put in it and I like the deck with rail for strapping items or serving as picnic table. Enjoy
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Where do you put the goped, cooler full of beer, compressed air tank, box of dirty magazines, etc?

Just make sure it's wide enough to put a set of "widish" wheels in there, side by side across the back. You'll get the most room that way. Mine isn't wide enough so I have to stack 3 tall with tie downs, and one on the floor. I do stack them all the way back over the axle to keep the tongue weight to a min.

Looks cool. I like the design. How much?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Haha...

Road America makes you pay a fee for non-street licensed vehicles, so no goped. Hell, no bicycle! Beer is for the Osthoff or Buck's (or someone else's). And compressed air tank should fit in there.

The issue with the wide wheels- I did think about that- wheels upright, paired up, and strapped individually should leave me 1/2 the trailer for anything else I want to bring. I don't want to bring the kitchen sink- I do enough of that with karting and DE is just for fun... The price is rather steep for a DE trailer, $3400, but for me it's pretty close to what I want in a tag along for the Porsche. The aluminum structure is worth it since weight is a premium on these bumpers. I live in the city (Chicago much of the time) and have nowhere for an enclosed trailer and dedicated truck. That'll change once I get my family moved down to FLA permanently, but for now this is what I've got to do.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

So you can get 4 tires across, standing up in the back? Ideally, you could put chocks on the floor and roll them in and out without straps. That's how the previous owner of my trailer did. However, my wheels are 3-4" wider than his, so I was pretty disappointed that didn't work for me.

How much does the trailer weigh?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Gt3 Racer RS
Banned

YOUR PULLING IT WITH A GT3? Are you out of your mind man??!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

That is a cool looking trailer for the track!

DD....you drink other peoples beer.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gt3 Racer RS
YOUR PULLING IT WITH A GT3? Are you out of your mind man??!!!
The better question is, are you out of your mind for not pulling a trailer with your GT3? If a honda civic can pull a 3 seater jet ski, a 400hp porsche should be able to haul a tire trailer.

Originally Posted by mdrums
That is a cool looking trailer for the track!

DD....you drink other peoples beer.
I have been known to tap into other people's adult beverages. I did bring a case to the 48 hours though. If you'd quit avoiding every event we go to you'd know that
Old 03-10-2012, 11:21 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

@ Nick. Tell me more about the hitch. Is it a wilwood? Despite what people will tell you, there are some points that need to be reinforced.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deputydog95
@ Nick. Tell me more about the hitch. Is it a wilwood? Despite what people will tell you, there are some points that need to be reinforced.
It's not a Wilwood, it's a hitch made by "Mike Foxtrot" on the Planet-9 forums, a thread about it can be found here. I think the solution he designed is more elegant than Wilwood's and it all centers around a lockable 2" shank. I wouldn't use a 2" shank style bike carrier with 4 bikes because of the leveraged load it creates but I think a lightweight one, modified to center the load over the hitch would be fine.

Don't fret about those who complain about you using a trailer- it's your car and you do with it what you will. I'm not too sure you want to put as much in the trailer as you do, but I think anything under 700lbs total should be fine (so you're normal load you carry would be just outside what I would consider).
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I kid about what I put it in. Generally 4 track wheels/tire, tools, spare brake pads, jack, impact driver, go ped, and a 1 gallon can of premix for the go ped. Got to have the go ped

I have a one off hitch setup using the bumper from a 996. Long story... My hitch doesn't seem as elegent as yours as I never take mine off. Too much work....

With that being said, there is a weak both with all our setups. There are aluminum tubes that connect the metal bumper to the chassis. They are very weak and appear to be spot welded. They are strong enough to keep the bumper on but don't appear to be designed to support a pulling motion. I already had one crack and luckily the other one held. Could have been ugly. My shop's solution was to take the tube out on each side and weld metal strips inside to give it significantly more strength. I wouldn't start towing till you get that done... Once you see the bumper off you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: Okay, so I finally got the tire trailer.