Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT2/GT3 owners thoughts on the Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run a Panamera Turbo for over 2 years now, having had one of the first in the UK. It's in Yachting Blue with a beautiful two-tone blue and linen interiror.

Two years in, and I find it to be a stunning car. I've used it for commuting to work in London, long distance cruising and also for a fun drive out.

Build quality is exceptional; a cut above the rivals from BMW and Mercedes, particularly inside.

Dynamically, I love the Jekyll and Hyde character. On a cruise, in soft mode and with its intergalactic 7th gear (geared for 300 mph!), it is super quiet and the ride is excellent. The seats are simply the best I've ever sat in - supportive and firm.

In Sport Plus mode the dampers and (air) spring rates are adjusted to create an outstandingly high level of body control that allows the car to be hustled like nothing else I have drive that is as large.

The engine is smooth and punchy, and with the PDK box, the drivetrain overall is super refined. A Maserati Quattroporte (beautiful those it is) is from the dark ages by comparison.

I have the ceramic brakes, and they are reassuringly powerful. I've yet to take the car to the 'Ring (it will happen I am sure); but I am confident they will survive better than those fitted to most sports cars.

The car also has the Burmester hi-fi system. Stupidly expensive, but stupendously good. The acid test of a good hi-fi is that it does not tire you after many hours of listening - and this is the first in-car system that passes the test for me.

Downsides? Not many. It is not pretty, although from certain angles it is handsome. At times the air suspension gives the car a slightly floaty feeling (it pitches diagonally which is a bit odd). Pulling away from rest, a torque converter automatic is smoother. The rear boot space is limited by a shallow floor, but the rear seats fold flat to compensate.

I think it is a fabulous and complementary contrast to an RS.

Cheers

Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

It is fugly. A fast sedan. I would rather have an E63.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 899 Likes on 542 Posts

A7 or upcoming S7...

(loved our departed '04 Cayenne S with PASM- and like the new one looks wise even better)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think it is one of or the the ugliest cars Porsche has ever come out with, regardless of everything else. I think the influence the look it has on the entire line will hurt Porsche long term. My sister has the turbo version it is fast but ridiculous money. So many better looking, better performing options in my opinion.

Quick Reply: GT2/GT3 owners thoughts on the Panamera?