Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GoPro Hero 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GoPro Hero 2

I just picked one up and tried it out. Pretty cool camera but I seem to be having some issues while shooting within the car.

I tried the spot metering and the shots out the windshield are whited out when I mount the camera to the rear window. When I mount the camera to the front windshield the shots are fine but the rear is not good. It did not seem to have much affect going from standard to spot metering.

What settings are you using?

Thanks for any info
Old 01-29-2012, 12:41 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

in the car you'd want to use center weighted metering, so hopefully you'll have an average metered area to not underexpose or overexpose the video.

I just purchased a Hero 2 as well, the manual sucks. I found this youtube video, hope it helps.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Re the whitening out - just shift the mount up or down a little - that fixed mine. Also I didn't keep it on R5 later and it still worked. Google a quick ref guide and keep it in the car to remind you of the menu meanings - there are many ... Eg. http://www.maddogs.tv/files/Maddogs-...QuickSheet.pdf

Also I bought the B&K mount (from 911slow) and it sits nicely on the roll cage, then I cut a piece out of MTB inner tube and glued an 'elastic band' which fits the GPro snugly and keeps it in place - GPro seems to be the only camera that doesn't have the tripod screw in option which all mounts have to screw into the camera - not sure why. I also find either the snap in open back or just the Naked GP works best in the car re engine sound and talking/swearing Enjoy - I love mine, worth every penny - amazing to think its only a few years old as a company.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
drdrank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
then I cut a piece out of MTB inner tube and glued an 'elastic band' which fits the GPro snugly and keeps it in place - GPro seems to be the only camera that doesn't have the tripod screw in option which all mounts have to screw into the camera - not sure why. I also find either the snap in open back or just the Naked GP works best in the car re engine sound and talking/swearing Enjoy - I love mine, worth every penny - amazing to think its only a few years old as a company.
Can you post a pic of yours? I am using the mount from GoPro. It stays still, usually, but the audio "creeks." Probably from whenever the plastic bends under stress. Would be nice to eliminate that.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 AM
lopro
Banned

great camera, I love mine, I use it all the time for a number of different things. Wish it had a way to mount it when outside the waterproof case. I also need to get myself the flat lense piece for underwater case, I hear the camera has a hardtime focusing while underwater when using the bubble style lense piece on the waterproof case.

Id love to have the roll bar mount someday too, or maybe even buy another one so i can split the camera angles in the same shot.

great little camera for the price. Love it.
good luck with yours and have fun

post a video of your driving adventures.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Originally Posted by drdrank
Can you post a pic of yours? I am using the mount from GoPro. It stays still, usually, but the audio "creeks." Probably from whenever the plastic bends under stress. Would be nice to eliminate that.
Sure Doc - will do next week when back home - I also had some noise from case but I put a bit of stick on Velcro onto body of GP to make it wedge into case a bit tighter.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
post a video of your driving adventures.
Unfortunately, none of my videos are adventurous and worthy of posting on this board.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
lopro
Banned

oh well in time my freind, Dont be so hard on yourself. we all have to learn somewhere. Besides I would love to see you ditch it. im so joking around. Good luck and I hope this never everr happends to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,259 Posts

you know they are coming out with a wifi "remote control" which allows you to control the camera and also "stream" video also ... pretty cool ... of course you have to wifi enable your car ...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 PM
jenk12m
Banned

the wife got me one for xmas and it seems very bright when shooting from the inside, compared to when i borrowed my buddies older gopro and it looked great. need help on settings as well. i'll try and post sone vids for comparison
Old 02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

I have a tried a bunch of different settings and still get a white washed look outside the windshield when mounted to the rear window. I am going to mount it lower on the rear window to see if that has a positive effect.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 AM
lopro
Banned

is it glair from sunlight? What picture quality are you using?

I removed the lense over off the plastic case, maybe there is a glair on the plastic from the sunlight?

I got nothing, wish i could help
Old 02-03-2012, 02:48 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

It really isn't from the glare of the sunlight, and it happens when it is sunny or cloudy. I have used nearly every setting including spot and average metering. When attached the to the front windshield the shots are fine. I will just try playing with the mounting height on the rear windshield.

LOPRO, your house looks just like Santa Clause paid you a visit. What car are you putting all these goodies on?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
- GPro seems to be the only camera that doesn't have the tripod screw in option which all mounts have to screw into the camera - not sure why. .
au contraire - Just get this - problem solved.
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/

Some in car vids with my gopro
Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Originally Posted by DM993tt
au contraire - Just get this - problem solved.
http://gopro.com/camera-mounts/tripod-mount/
Thanks Dave, appreciate that (not as much as April did I'm sure) but not much detail on their site - how does this piece connect to the GP waterproof case or the naked GP?

Cheers, Matt

Quick Reply: GoPro Hero 2