Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For a GT3 used in DE (20 minutes sessions average, 1 Heat Cycle per session, no street driving):

R6: 16 HC
A6: 8HC

They look fresh after these many heat cycles, and plenty of tread left. If you use them beyond that, you're on your own. You start getting the on/off type of grip, it just take this ice grip at the wrong spot on a racetrack to get you and others in trouble.

If your alignment is on the spot, flipping tires on the wheels helps very little. I don't flip my Hoosiers.

I don't swap the tires from left/right and right/left to improve tread wear either. There is something really bad about having a tire rotating at 160mph in one direction, then forcing the tire to do the same on the other direction the next day, the sidewalls wear out quicker doing this.

I'm quite picky with tire management, as failures on them can be catastrophic. In more than 200 track days, I have had 2 tire incidents, a MPSC that wore out to the cords and exploded at WGI (my mistake for not checking tire wear), and a flat at Sebring on my RE-11 (a loose tire valve that was not fully bolted, now part of my tech procedure).

From the many things autocross teaches, an important one is tires management.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Nothing wrong with that perspective at all, and for those that do that, just keep track of your tire wear, that $30 for "one more session" could be a car write off...
ahhh yes... you must still be on your car control game with michelin slicks, just a different level of pace. The tires have wonderful grip that allow you to go faster but they are not magic at the level we are playing.

m+s tires on a dry track with our crowd would get me run over... for $50 mounted I would do it though
Old 02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
LOL. Once you're addicted why not shoot the best stuff there is Only problem I have with that is I'd need to completely set the car up for slicks which isn't exactly a fart in the wind for my broke ***
true... and astute
I am committed
I do not street drive the car very much -- lucky to get it out on weekends once in a while.

In fact was going to go out yesterday as we had a rare flash of good weather and it appears I have a failing clutch switch.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Rumor has it......from a good source

Toyo will be re introducing the RA1 compound in Porsche sizes, 4/32" out of the mold

If this is true, and the compound has the same wear......most will start running ths tire
Old 02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Yes. They will be producing RA1's pre-molded to shaved depth.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Most people I see on slicks / Hoosiers dont belong on them anyways. I have been to many tracks and met many people (some on this forum), most could learn better car control by stepping into a lesser tire an dlearning to drive the limit at a slower pace.

You will know when you need Ho Ho / slicks to go faster, if you dont know you are not going fast enough on the tire you have. I cant tell you how many students I get that show up on sticker Hoosiers, most the time I convince them by the end of the weekend to switch to a more progressive slip tire.

For DE a Toyo RA1 type compound is the perfect compromise. The softer the tire higher the grip limit is, but they also snap quick.

What fun is a 2:16 or so at Sebring when you sit waiting for a point by by another GT3 doing 2:25's in the same group as you.

Its more fun chasing a GT3 on sticker slicks and passing him

RA1 is a great tire. If you can get your hands on them. So few options for a .1 narrow body in 18". I won't run the Kumho's any more after what happened with the ones I bought last month. So I'm stuck with R6's until Toyo re-releases the RA1's this summer so I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them. Even if I could get some, it just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies running 6 year old tires.

Do any of you check your R6 tire temps after coming in from a session?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes. They will be producing RA1's pre-molded to shaved depth.
Thank you for confirming that. A certain someone (cough Randy cough) didn't believe me.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Thank you for confirming that. A certain someone (cough Randy cough) didn't believe me.
I dont believe anyone who hangs out with Greeks, you are who you associate yourself with
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
I dont believe anyone who hangs out with Greeks, you are who you associate yourself with
Touche.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Andrew are you logging temps, that is a tremendous amount of work?
Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I just started. I'm trying to take the tire thing more seriously. I bought a mid level longacre tire temp probe and a durometer. I'm going nuts, just trying to take a slightly more scientific approach.

I'm trying to pick a tire and set the car up around that particular tire. I'm not helping myself by switching tires brands all the time.

I found that I'm 40 degrees or so less than what hoosier recommends for optimal grip. Not sure what to do to bring those temps up. I believe my camber is set at -3 front and -2.5 rear
Old 02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm trying to pick a tire and set the car up around that particular tire. I'm not helping myself by switching tires brands all the time.

I found that I'm 40 degrees or so less than what hoosier recommends for optimal grip. Not sure what to do to bring those temps up.
IMO take temps at all 4 corners, coming into the pits HOT, by having a friend there with your pyrometer. No need to do this every session, just once after each change you make to the car will give you a baseline.

As for your second question: DRIVE FASTER. That's how to get temps up.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Had a nice chat with a race engineer @ 48 and we were discussing the tire temp issue. And while science does lie behind the test instruments the application and disection of data is clearly in the "art" camp as sooooo many variable can manipulate your findings. In short a large and continous sample is needed to spot trends. Congrats on the "game-on" your $pending has officially commenced
Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Yeah what VR said
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO take temps at all 4 corners, coming into the pits HOT, by having a friend there with your pyrometer. No need to do this every session, just once after each change you make to the car will give you a baseline.

As for your second question: DRIVE FASTER. That's how to get temps up.
Agreed on doing it sooner. I'm sure the tires are cooling rapidly by the time I get back to the garages. I'll try to get someone to help next time. Managed a 2:23.000 this weekend. Soooo close to a 2:22. Not sure I have much more in me

Quick Reply: Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?