Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yes you do, just getting warmed up. Have a bud in a lower/different run group hang out at the pit wall and have them do probe/record. You could offer to do the same but too much probing is never a good thing......

Best.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
^ yes you do, just getting warmed up.
Agreed. Yes you do.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Agreed. Yes you do.

I rode w Izzone on Sunday. We did a 221. The pace between 221 and 223 is distinctly different. Night and Day. I described it to Randy as almost being frantic
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
^ yes you do, just getting warmed up. Have a bud in a lower/different run group hang out at the pit wall and have them do probe/record. You could offer to do the same but too much probing is never a good thing......

Best.
We have decided to move Burke to a lower group, he is holding us up in our group

Burke.....I can take your temps
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Rceron
Racer

Since this topic comes up all the time, I wonder if it makes sense to put up a chart recommending the appropriate tires in accordance with certain lap times at each track. For example, at VIR Full in a GT3 (depends on what year of course) it recommended that appropriate tire be selected based on these guidelines.....

>2.15s = street tire
>2.08 & <2.15 = RA1/Toyo
>2.04 & <2.08 = R6s
<2.04 = slicks

#'s/ranges are for illustrative purposes....
Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
We have decided to move Burke to a lower group, he is holding us up in our group

Not nice.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

and that my friends is the classic beat-down smack talk.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Randy doesn't just bully on the track. He mentally wears you down in between events. I'll post some video later of classic Randy sebring action
Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Randy doesn't just bully on the track. He mentally wears you down in between events. I'll post some video later of classic Randy sebring action
I am always nice and pleasant at the track.

On Saturday the lawn maintenance crew at Sebring asked me to fix Nicks line, they were getting annoyed replacing all the grass after Nicks off road adevntures.......so gladly I helped Nick out, taught him how to drive on the pavement

No video no proof
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I have video. Its processing at home. Bully junior.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rumor has it......from a good source

Toyo will be re introducing the RA1 compound in Porsche sizes, 4/32" out of the mold

If this is true, and the compound has the same wear......most will start running ths tire
I hope Toyo doesn't start dumping R888 compound on a RA1 mold. They have a stock pile of R888, at this time Toyo can't move them. They massively screwed up ditching the RA1, but what goes around comes around, and they are paying the penalty.

The RA1 is my favorite multi-purpose tire. I ran it for 4 years until I switched to the 997.1 RS. When shaved, and after 2 HC, they were competitive on autoX, time trials, and I drove on them on the streets permanently. I put 8,000 miles on one set with combined street/track/autoX use.

Nothing comes close to how amazing the RA1 are. R6 are faster, but not by much.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Gavin says the RA1, shaved, is very close to an R6.

My toyo source says the new RA1 will be the same compound as current production RA1 (spec tires), but will made in Porsche fitments and molded to 4/32nd. He said to expect availability late spring/early summer.

Should be a great tire. Although the big perk of the old batches of RA1's was the pricing. Huge bang for the buck. Not sure if RA1's at $1400-1500 a set will be as good a deal. When driven at Randy/Reter speeds, they don't get much more wear out of the rears than a hoosier. However, you do seem to get endless days out of the fronts which could make it more economical. I think I did 3 sets of rears to one set of fronts when I had some early last year.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Rumor has it......from a good source

Toyo will be re introducing the RA1 compound in Porsche sizes, 4/32" out of the mold

If this is true, and the compound has the same wear......most will start running ths tire
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes. They will be producing RA1's pre-molded to shaved depth.
Yeah, but what sizes?

Thank you for confirming that. A certain someone (cough Randy cough) didn't believe me.
We don't know what sizes

Originally Posted by Rceron
Since this topic comes up all the time, I wonder if it makes sense to put up a chart recommending the appropriate tires in accordance with certain lap times at each track. For example, at VIR Full in a GT3 (depends on what year of course) it recommended that appropriate tire be selected based on these guidelines.....

>2.15s = street tire
>2.08 & <2.15 = RA1/Toyo
>2.04 & <2.08 = R6s
<2.04 = slicks

#'s/ranges are for illustrative purposes....
This would work great if you take the car and the driver out of the equasion
RA1 = 2:06 for RS me.
R6 = 2:04 for RS Ryan.

He gets better after a couple of beers. We all do.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I hope Toyo doesn't start dumping R888 compound on a RA1 mold. They have a stock pile of R888, at this time Toyo can't move them. They massively screwed up ditching the RA1, but what goes around comes around, and they are paying the penalty.

The RA1 is my favorite multi-purpose tire. I ran it for 4 years until I switched to the 997.1 RS. When shaved, and after 2 HC, they were competitive on autoX, time trials, and I drove on them on the streets permanently. I put 8,000 miles on one set with combined street/track/autoX use.

Nothing comes close to how amazing the RA1 are. R6 are faster, but not by much.
That is what i am afraid of as well. Don't admit R888 sucks, just make RA1's suck as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Gavin says the RA1, shaved, is very close to an R6.

My toyo source says the new RA1 will be the same compound as current production RA1 (spec tires), but will made in Porsche fitments and molded to 4/32nd. He said to expect availability late spring/early summer.

Should be a great tire. Although the big perk of the old batches of RA1's was the pricing. Huge bang for the buck. Not sure if RA1's at $1400-1500 a set will be as good a deal. When driven at Randy/Reter speeds, they don't get much more wear out of the rears than a hoosier. However, you do seem to get endless days out of the fronts which could make it more economical. I think I did 3 sets of rears to one set of fronts when I had some early last year.
Ah, we cross posted.
It would be great if they made them again. Even at the same price better for our use. if you concider 2 secs a lap very close, yes then they are very close.

The difference might be less on lap 3/4 when they are still cool.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

My contact said they would have fitment for my .1 model in 18". Apparently Toyo has been listening. No idea about your fancy pants RS models with big curvy hips.

Quick Reply: Question for the DE guys who run Hoosiers?