Pirelli Trofeo wear after 4 track days w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli Trofeo wear after 4 track days w/ pics

For all you track rats!

A lot of people have been wondering how the Pirelli Trofeo DOT rubber does with grip and wear.

Grip: Better then cups and R888s, hands down. These are almost like Hoosiers with grooves.

Wear: Less then both so far. I think I can get 2 more days out of them at the most. It is the outside wear that is what cuts the tire life short. The pics below will show you.

Alignment specs. - 2.6 front camber with 0 toe / -2.0 rear camber with .10 toe-in each side. Castor is factory set. I ran the tire pressures as per Pirelli at hot 30F and 32R.

To me, it seems like the sidewall is not as stiff as Pirelli says and it could have used a little more air to stiffen them up a bit.

With the same specs on my 911S the Toyo R888s actually had more wear on the middle to insides over the outside edges on the fronts.

I can tell you this, if the new Trofeo Rs wear is significantly better as Pirelli says it will be, this will be a killer DE tire.

Photos

Fronts:

Rears:

For a reference, here is what the rears looked like brand new:

Old 05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Maybe ad some camber?
Are you going to flip them?

That is pretty good wear.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 on more camber for them

How many heat cycles in those 4 days?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe ad some camber?
Are you going to flip them?

That is pretty good wear.
I don't know Peter. The outside shoulder tread blocks are much wider then the inside so I don't know if they can be flipped like a Toyo.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
+1 on more camber for them

How many heat cycles in those 4 days?
16 HC. I'm already running -2.6F and -2.0 rear. I didn't get this kind of outside wear on the cups or Toyos on my 911S so I'm thinking it may be the reason Pirelli changed the compound or the extra weight of the turbo, but, I added sway bars and end links on the turbo compared to my S.

I'm going to throw them on my OZ wheels which have a slightly better offset (and lighter) then the stockers so maybe that will help a bit.

I can always add a bit more neg camber. Maybe go -2.8F and -2.2R but I will have to get adj toe links in the rear to do that.

Last edited by Doc GTO; 05-08-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD is killing those shoulders. With as much camber as you have, I think a change in driving technique would be more effective for your car. Try being more aggressive on when you apply throttle out of a corner- like, a LOT earlier, which means getting the turning done earlier too.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
For all you track rats!

A lot of people have been wondering how the Pirelli Trofeo DOT rubber does with grip and wear.

Grip: Better then cups and R888s, hands down. These are almost like Hoosiers with grooves.

Wear: Less then both so far. I think I can get 2 more days out of them at the most. It is the outside wear that is what cuts the tire life short. The pics below will show you.

Alignment specs. - 2.6 front camber with 0 toe / -2.0 rear camber with .10 toe-in each side. Castor is factory set. I ran the tire pressures as per Pirelli at hot 30F and 32R.

To me, it seems like the sidewall is not as stiff as Pirelli says and it could have used a little more air to stiffen them up a bit.

With the same specs on my 911S the Toyo R888s actually had more wear on the middle to insides over the outside edges on the fronts.

I can tell you this, if the new Trofeo Rs wear is significantly better as Pirelli says it will be, this will be a killer DE tire.
Some observations:

1. There isn't much left for tires on either end. There is no tread left on the outside of the fronts. Outside on the rears have a little more, but I would not be surprised if you corded them in one more day at the track.

2. There is a lot of feathering like they were overheated or not heat cycled properly. How are you bringing them up to temp when starting a session?

3. Quite a bit of edge rolling on the tires and less wear in the center indicate you are running too little pressure or the width of the tires are not matched well with the width of the wheels. I wonder if they are like R888s where you really have to stretch them on the wheels to get optimal grip? What size tires are you running? You appear to be using stock wheels, so I assume your wheel sizes are 19x8.5/19x11. On my Carrera, I wore out the outer edges on my first set of R888s quickly running 255/35 and 315/30 tires on 18x9/18x11 wheels. Switching the next set to 235/40 and 295/30 drastically improved turn-in, grip and they wore completely even across the tires. The narrow sizes were over 2 seconds faster per lap. This was with similar alignment specs to what you are using.

4. With just 4 track days, this is significantly more wear than I have typically seen with MPSCs, Corsas or R888s. I get at least 8 track days and 5000 miles on the street out of a set of any of these other tires. With Corsas, I've gotten as much as 12 track days and 6000 miles out of a set. I am not surprised, all the people I have seen run them get at least 1/3 less tire life than Corsas or MPSCs. From what I've heard, the Trefeo Rs will have similar wear to a Corsa with more dry grip.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I don't know Peter. The outside shoulder tread blocks are much wider then the inside so I don't know if they can be flipped like a Toyo.

28-32 HC. I'm already running -2.6F and -2.0 rear. I didn't get this kind of outside wear on the cups or Toyos on my 911S so I'm thinking it may be the reason Pirelli changed the compound or the extra weight of the turbo, but, I added sway bars and end links on the turbo compared to my S.

I'm going to throw them on my OZ wheels which have a slightly better offset (and lighter) then the stockers so maybe that will help a bit.

I can always add a bit more neg camber. Maybe go -2.8F and -2.2R but I will have to get adj toe links in the rear to do that.
You should not flip them given the significant difference in the tread blocks (inside vs. outside).

As for outside wear, it is not really extra wear on the outside. Look at the last picture in your post, and you will see that a new tire has much shallower outside grooves compared to the inside. As the tire wears, the outside grooves will disappear before the inside grooves. You are running enough camber.

How much does your car weigh without you and fuel?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

What is the treadwear rating?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
AWD is killing those shoulders. With as much camber as you have, I think a change in driving technique would be more effective for your car. Try being more aggressive on when you apply throttle out of a corner- like, a LOT earlier, which means getting the turning done earlier too.
This is he 1st time with an AWD car at the track for me. As the event went on, I was getting on the throttle earlier to have the car pull out of the corners more quickly.

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Some observations:

1. There isn't much left for tires on either end. There is no tread left on the outside of the fronts. Outside on the rears have a little more, but I would not be surprised if you corded them in one more day at the track.

2. There is a lot of feathering like they were overheated or not heat cycled properly. How are you bringing them up to temp when starting a session?

3. Quite a bit of edge rolling on the tires and less wear in the center indicate you are running too little pressure or the width of the tires are not matched well with the width of the wheels. I wonder if they are like R888s where you really have to stretch them on the wheels to get optimal grip? What size tires are you running? You appear to be using stock wheels, so I assume your wheel sizes are 19x8.5/19x11. On my Carrera, I wore out the outer edges on my first set of R888s quickly running 255/35 and 315/30 tires on 18x9/18x11 wheels. Switching the next set to 235/40 and 295/30 drastically improved turn-in, grip and they worse completely even across the tires. The narrow sizes were over 2 seconds faster per lap. This was with similar alignment specs to what you are using.

4. With just 4 track days, this is significantly more wear than I have typically seen with MPSCs, Corsas or R888s. I get at least 8 track days and 5000 miles on the street out of a set of any of these other tires. With Corsas, I've gotten as much as 12 track days and 6000 miles out of a set. I am not surprised, all the people I have seen run them get at least 1/3 less tire life than Corsas or MPSCs. From what I've heard, the Trefeo Rs will have similar wear to a Corsa with more dry grip.
1. I was thinking 1-2 more days at the most.

2. I usually do 2-3 easy laps to bring them up to temps then turn up the wick. It was very hot in Sav this past weekend and the tires did start to get a little greasy mid afternoon.

3. Stock turbo sizes.

4. Without a doubt, I get more life from cups and R888s which are the best for wear int he past.

I will be going to an OZ Ultraleggera in 19X8.5 and 19 X11 but with better offsets then stockers and 12 lbs overall lighter a set.

My gut feeling was that they needed more air pressure to stiffen up things but the Pirelli site said 30F and 32R hot pressures. I think that I could have gone 34F and 36R hot for the turbo.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
You should not flip them given the significant difference in the tread blocks (inside vs. outside).

As for outside wear, it is not really extra wear on the outside. Look at the last picture in your post, and you will see that a new tire has much shallower outside grooves compared to the inside. As the tire wears, the outside grooves will disappear before the inside grooves. You are running enough camber.

How much does your car weigh without you and fuel?
The scale was out of order so I could not get a wet weight . . . I have lightened the car a bit. 70lbs over stock and 12 of that unsprung.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
What is the treadwear rating?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

I believe Doc GTO said in an earlier thread that both he and his wife drive the car and that's why he accumulated 28 to 32 heat cycles in 4 DE days. Am I correct?

Regardless, given Hoosiers reportedly give 16 to 20 heat cycles, 28 to 32 heat cycles with more life left seems to be reasonable for the Trofeos when you take into account their grip versus the Hoosiers. No?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
I believe Doc GTO said in an earlier thread that both he and his wife drive the car and that's why he accumulated 28 to 32 heat cycles in 4 DE days. Am I correct?

Regardless, given Hoosiers reportedly give 16 to 20 heat cycles, 28 to 32 heat cycles with more life left seems to be reasonable for the Trofeos when you take into account their grip versus the Hoosiers. No?
Uggg. My math is screwy . . . A usual 2 day DE is 8 session (4/day) We double duty the car so we get 16 sessions in 2 days (hence the 4 days worth of use).

These tires have 16 HC on them. They still have life in them but the very outer edge of the fronts are what looks to be the early out on these tires. I think more air pressure or a bit more neg camber.

I will go back and correct my math.

Sorry guys.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the follow up on the Troefeo's Doc! I's love to try these too but wonder if and when the R version of the Trofeo's will be here?

As far as MPSC N Spec 19" stock sizes vs Toyo R888 19" stock sizes the R888.for me it seems the R888 have a bit more grip and might last 1-2 days longer too...plus the R888 are around $800 less than MPSC.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Where do you buy these?

Same price as MPSC's?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the follow up on the Troefeo's Doc! I's love to try these too but wonder if and when the R version of the Trofeo's will be here?

As far as MPSC N Spec 19" stock sizes vs Toyo R888 19" stock sizes the R888.for me it seems the R888 have a bit more grip and might last 1-2 days longer too...plus the R888 are around $800 less than MPSC.
I think the TRofeo Rs will be awesome if the wear is better, especially if the price is the same as the current ones. They are about $1600ish for a set compared to $1400 for the R888s.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo wear after 4 track days w/ pics