PCCB vs STEEL 2010+

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts
Default PCCB vs STEEL 2010+

I searched, but did not find:

Trying to determine if there is any negative to getting a PCCB car and sell the PCCB rotors besides resale value.

Everything appears the same, except the actual PCCB rotors.
But what about the rest? Brake bias, ABS programming and hardware upstream from the calipers?

Is this stuff all identical on 3.8RS 4.0 and GT2RS?
The GT2RS comes OEM std with PCCB.....
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I 'll give you an example. If you order the PCCB from the T-equipment catalogue, they don't mention anything about a different ABS unit, booster, master cylinder, etc.

Also from a quick look in the PET, the differences between a PCCB and a cast iron equipped '10 GT3RS (uses the same discs as the GT2RS) are:

Front
disc
caliper
a pan head screw
brake line
a connecting line (a Carrera GT part)

Rear
disc
caliper
a connecting line (a 996 part)

Now go get the damn GT2RS (in black please _) and run the PCCBs until they r gone.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM
9972RS
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

He's going to buy the 3.8 at orbit. Sell the pccb and be at $120k for the car. No?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

But then why did he sell his 3.8 in the first place? Right back where he started? Why? Won't even get a new color out of the deal.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:54 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Trakcar,

Sell off the PCCB hardware and buy the StopTech STR kit. Run PF01 in front and PF97 in the rear......supreme stopping power, ROCK hard pedal feel, all day (all month-all year) trashing with no fade (use Endless RF650 - cup car fill) and perfect bias.

Nuf said!

Cheers!
Doug N.

Last edited by DJN; 05-19-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Oh.......and no "wedgies" .......(wedging) !!!
Old 05-19-2012, 03:30 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Trying to determine if there is any negative to getting a PCCB car and sell the PCCB rotors besides resale value.

But what about the rest? Brake bias, ABS programming and hardware upstream from the calipers?

same stuff in the 2010+ GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS, 4.0RS. You can swap among all of them. Same calipers, same brake pads. Run whatever you ran in the 3.8RS.

If you get a car with CCB, take them out sell them for $5k (just the 4 rotors) they won't last 2 weeks for sale, add brake pads and increase asking price.

Resale is not affected, cars with CCB and Steel sell for about the same price. Only a collector would want all the original parts, but they always look for pristine cars, non-tracked, non-modified, so they are not the intended market for a car you sell.

You can't go wrong with GT2 RS or 4.0RS.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:44 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I will trade my roll bar for your take off ceramics
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why waste money on Stop tech stuff ? OEM works just PERFECT. If to spend $$$ go for a Brembo GTR racing brakes, which are also not necessary. We never had fade problems not even under 100F weather in Sebring.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Trakcar,

Sell off the PCCB hardware and buy the StopTech STR kit. Run PF01 in front and PF97 in the rear......supreme stopping power, ROCK hard pedal feel, all day (all month-all year) trashing with no fade (use Endless RF650 - cup car fill) and perfect bias.

Nuf said!

Cheers!
Doug N.
I was the first one running all PFC stuff because Orbit told me to try it.
I will stop using PFC when they stop making it.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Why waste money on Stop tech stuff ? OEM works just PERFECT. If to spend $$$ go for a Brembo GTR racing brakes, which are also not necessary. We never had fade problems not even under 100F weather in Sebring.
+1. Better invest in custom brake ducts and I am not even sure you need them with PFC08 pads. OEM rotors don't last much shorter then the PFC rotors and feel a bit better if you blow out the holes each session. The OEM rears last forever but TTS rotors are much cheaper but will last not as long as OEM.

Only reason to upgrade to stronger front calipers is less tapering, but the PFC08 don't taper much.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The full Stoptech STR kit is basically a race set up and about $8000, in my humble opinion you can't buy a better brake set up for the money for the 997.2 GT's, and it has upsized rear calipers. StopTech rotor rings are cheap too! Sure you can send BIG $$$ on a full Brembo GTR kit or a small amount to buy steel rotors for your OEM pad wedgifiers (i.e. the calipers flex under full force), the choice is yours.

Girlie yellow calipers, not for me!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

8k??

The PFC08 barely taper and the rears wear even?
Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Well Peter if you have found the PFC08 work well in the OEM calipers.....then I have learned something new today (thank you)......and you sir know what to do!

Have fun!
Doug N.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Not me. Orbit.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
The full Stoptech STR kit is basically a race set up and about $8000, in my humble opinion you can't buy a better brake set up for the money for the 997.2 GT's, and it has upsized rear calipers. StopTech rotor rings are cheap too! Sure you can send BIG $$$ on a full Brembo GTR kit or a small amount to buy steel rotors for your OEM pad wedgifiers (i.e. the calipers flex under full force), the choice is yours.

Girlie yellow calipers, not for me!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Why would you ever need it? I have never been out braked at the track and I am still running even the OEM Pagid pads (which are actually RS-19s).

Because both the PCCBs and steel brakes use the exact same size rotors and calipers, the only real advantage is rotor weight with PCCBs. There is a major disadvantage to PCCBs if you track them, replacing them. They are really expensive (currently about $18K a set from Suncoast) to replace. If you track them a lot, they will wear and you will have to replace them. Stick with OEM 997.2 steel rears and save your money versus an aftermarket replacement. The OEM rear rotors are very durable and seem to last forever. I have 20K miles and over 20 track days and my rear still look good. In fact they barely have any cracks in them at all.

The fronts on the other hand tend to last for about 12 track days because they start developing cracks that effect the structure of the rotor. You will notice minor cracks after 3-4 track days. Add a few more and you will start getting structural stress cracks between the holes. From my experience, you get 2 sets of front pads out of a set of front rotors then it is time to replace them. Best option for the front rotors are aftermarket floating steel rotors. I have a set of the 2nd gen PFC front rotors that have the holes exactly match to the OEM drive pins. The surface on these rotors lasts about twice as long as the OEM fronts.

Quick Reply: PCCB vs STEEL 2010+