Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

With PDK- my wife can use it for brunch with friends and nail salons etc- .............. NO WAY!!!! Mike
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
With PDK- my wife can use it for brunch with friends and nail salons etc- .............. NO WAY!!!! Mike
Easy fix if you have PDK...put in GT2 Sport Bucket seats, rear roll bar and 6 point harness, fire extinguisher, don't order Bose or Nav and if your wife is like mine she will have nothing to do with this car.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Never understood the need for / existence of rumors like this (from the media). Why worry about something when Porsche hasn't said anything about it yet. Let's wait until they announce, then we can all pile on it and whine and complain.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd be happy if they offer PDK for those that want it, I'd be unhappy for those that wanted a new 991 GT3 with mt if it is not available, but honestly, since I own the last generation of the 'real' GT3 ... do I care? - nope
Well said Larry.

No manual for future GT cars is actually excellent news for us. Our cars will retain values much better. Not that I care, as mine is not for sale unless I torn my hamstrings.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
No one is going to give you a prize for hamstringing yourself with an outdated transmission.

Let the manual rip. PDK is the new order. Game over.

The prize is the look on your face when you think because you got a PDK you won't get manhandled by some skill behind the wheel of a manual.

Still have not seen talented drivers at the track regularly with PDK. Because most of them don't want it. And that won't change.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The prize is the look on your face when you think because you got a PDK you won't get manhandled by some skill behind the wheel of a manual.

Still have not seen talented drivers at the track regularly with PDK. Because most of them don't want it. And that won't change.
Slight twist

The prize is the look on your face when you think because you got a Porsche you won't get manhandled by some skill behind the wheel of a BMW.
Run what you brung. The talented guys don't pay to track anyways. Tracking pays them. You know... Like our PDK boy mdrums.

I predict the vast majority will buy the fastest gt car available. Slower guys with the manuals can run in the special needs group.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Skill will usually trump equipment; I don't think most people believe otherwise. But all else equal, the faster equipment will win....

Or maybe because PDK has only been around, relatively, a very short time and also because no track specific cars like the GT's are available with it....yet.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
86 3point2
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Slight twist

Run what you brung. The talented guys don't pay to track anyways. Tracking pays them. You know... Like our PDK boy mdrums.

I predict the vast majority will buy the fastest gt car available. Slower guys with the manuals can run in the special needs group.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Slight twist

You still have no clue, most of even the talented guys are still paying to drive, even in the pro series.

Again, do your homework.

The better drivers will still be in manuals for the most part for many years to come. Most of the people pining for pdk are the backmarkers anyways. Look at the fast GT3 guys in this forum, how many are Pdk homers? Not many.

And finally a little reverse logic common sense says that sense DE is not about the fastest lap.time and the people are there for.the enjoyment and manual is more enjoyable, that everyone will not jump ship for Pdk.

On top of that hardcore track guys will not want to eat the cost of out of warranty repairs on Pdk units which will always cost a ton compared to a manual.

Fail.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Look at the fast GT3 guys in this forum, how many are Pdk homers? Not many.

And finally a little reverse logic common sense says that sense DE is not about the fastest lap.time and the people are there for.the enjoyment and manual is more enjoyable, that everyone will not jump ship for Pdk.
How many fast GT3 guys on the forum have driven PDK equipped GT3s so as to be able to make a rational decision about whether they are any good or not? Oh right, there aren't any PDK equipped GT3s.......

I could be wrong, but I think the "it's more enjoyable" argument might not play as well in the long run for track cars as it does over on the 997 forum for street cars. Trackers are always looking for the latest performance upgrade and PDK is a big one; it's enjoyable to go faster than the other guy too. No disrespect to anyone who prefers a MT...I get it, I've been there...but the added performance may be more of a temptation than some people think.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 06-09-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Trackers are always looking for the latest performance upgrade and PDK is a big one; it's enjoyable to go faster than the other guy too. No disrespect to anyone who prefers a MT...I get it, I've been there...but the added performance may be more of a temptation than some people think.
Spot on. When laptimes' the objective I want PDK. I'll enjoy my rowing in a street car and take the safer+more efficient route on the track.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:36 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
How many fast GT3 guys on the forum have driven PDK equipped GT3s so as to be able to make a rational decision about whether they are any good or not? Oh right, there aren't any PDK equipped GT3s.......

I could be wrong, but I think the "it's more enjoyable" argument might not play as well in the long run for track cars as it does over on the 997 forum for street cars. Trackers are always looking for the latest performance upgrade and PDK is a big one; it's enjoyable to go faster than the other guy too. No disrespect to anyone who prefers a MT...I get it, I've been there...but the added performance may be more of a temptation than some people think.
Trackers looking for the latest performance upgrade? Lol, what does that even mean? Any way you look at it It's false. The most common upgrades at the track are brakes, clutch, suspension and maintenance items, not the latest performance upgrades. People want the stuff that has been proven reliable and is the least expensive but still durable option.

Generic statements like that make me think you are just guessing what you think guys like and don't actually spend me at the track.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:42 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

pdk is for cars n coffee
it is for cruising the street with your hand free to fondle ladies, or to eat a cheeseburger.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:52 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
pdk is for cars n coffee
it is for cruising the street with your hand free to fondle ladies, or to eat a cheeseburger.
Haha- I'll take the manual. These cars are being used at driver's schools. Manual is more fun to me. I'm sure there will be guys in both camps. If PDKer's are that much faster, guess I will just have to get my arm ready to point by.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

You still have no clue, most of even the talented guys are still paying to drive, even in the pro series.

Again, do your homework.

The better drivers will still be in manuals for the most part for many years to come. Most of the people pining for pdk are the backmarkers anyways. Look at the fast GT3 guys in this forum, how many are Pdk homers? Not many.

On top of that hardcore track guys will not want to eat the cost of out of warranty repairs on Pdk units which will always cost a ton compared to a manual.

Fail.
Your passion for the stick and **** makes you sound a bit... Cantankerous.

The only area where the manual has the advantage is in the realm of nostalgia.

What do the cup cars and rsrs come with? If they could go faster with a stick shift they'd be equipped as such. Automated transmissions are faster, more efficient and arguably more fun. The market demands it. Porsche is following suit.

And you know what's really fun? Winning. The manual transmission has been driving down the road to extinction carrying with it the DVD, MySpace, landlines, Paris Hilton, 9to5, halogens, etc.

If PDK is this good now, imagine the progress made in even just a few more years. I understand and enjoy the 6speed manual, but soon it'll be time to move onward. The entire driving package will be designed around it. Just win.

Quick Reply: Rumormill - 991 GT3 to come with PDK only