Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Exhaust Issue, Dealership, Sharkwerks

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Richie18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Issue, Dealership, Sharkwerks

So late last year i installed a Sharkwerks bypass. I enjoyed the amazing sound briefly before car went into winter storage. Car came out early March and exhaust worked as expected. Sometime in April i noticed the exhaust flaps were not opening when i pushed the sport button at idle. Also i was not getting the usual increase in sound at 4000RPM.

So I took the car to the dealership, the tech discovers a bad valve and replaces it. I receive the car, try to test the exhaust immediately and hear no difference, take the car to test it out more thoroughly. Still don't hear a difference. Tech absolutely believes the car is working normal and that i won't hear a difference because of my Sharkwerks bypass.

I showed them a video that i luckily had taken of my car in March demonstrating how the car should sound after pressing the sport button.

Manager of the dealership contacted District Rep and said the District Rep wants to take the car back to stock. Of course the dealership does not want to do this on their own dime.

We are planning on meeting again to possible see if they can determine whats wrong.

I have lost all patience and am just looking for some guidance, tips, thoughts on what i should check, do, say in order to get the car working like it should.

My last option is to take it to Isringhausen (Porsche Springfield) who are more experienced as i have heard with GT3's and bypasses, but they are 3.5 hours drive away.

My dealership hasn't sold a GT3, ever.

Appreciate any thoughts guys.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 98 Posts

I have had this happen twice - once the valve was repaired, the second time around it was quickly repaired, both times under warranty.

Word of caution - the dealer in the Philippines has been very vocal that based on directives from Porsche AG, any modification, specifically inclusive of exhaust mods, will void the warranty.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
spritle1010
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Not exactly sure where you are, but given you mentioned Isringhausen you might might want to call and see if Napelton Porsche (Westmont, IL) can give you any help over the phone. They have been doing a lot of work on GT cars and may have run into the same problem. Hope everything works out well.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

im not sure what the proper repair would be.... personally however, for an exhaust warranty issue i would remove the sharkwerks and put stock muffler on to get the free warranty work.

then install sharkwerks again.

sometimes one needs to make it easy for the dealer to fix a simple problem.
the labour to remove, and install sharkwerks sucks, but not too bad...
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM
andrewgt3
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

sounds like another stuck valve. happened to me. take it to an independent that deals with modified p-cars.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:35 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you care, sounds better with the valves open anyway. pull the plug on em.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:19 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie18
So late last year i installed a Sharkwerks bypass. I enjoyed the amazing sound briefly before car went into winter storage. Car came out early March and exhaust worked as expected. Sometime in April i noticed the exhaust flaps were not opening when i pushed the sport button at idle. Also i was not getting the usual increase in sound at 4000RPM.

So I took the car to the dealership, the tech discovers a bad valve and replaces it. I receive the car, try to test the exhaust immediately and hear no difference, take the car to test it out more thoroughly. Still don't hear a difference. Tech absolutely believes the car is working normal and that i won't hear a difference because of my Sharkwerks bypass.

I showed them a video that i luckily had taken of my car in March demonstrating how the car should sound after pressing the sport button.

Manager of the dealership contacted District Rep and said the District Rep wants to take the car back to stock. Of course the dealership does not want to do this on their own dime.

We are planning on meeting again to possible see if they can determine whats wrong.

I have lost all patience and am just looking for some guidance, tips, thoughts on what i should check, do, say in order to get the car working like it should.

My last option is to take it to Isringhausen (Porsche Springfield) who are more experienced as i have heard with GT3's and bypasses, but they are 3.5 hours drive away.

My dealership hasn't sold a GT3, ever.

Appreciate any thoughts guys.
Unless you have a long standing relationship with your Porsche dealer Service Management, the best approach (annoying I know) is to bring the car bone stock to the dealer, and have them check it.

I had to reinstall my stock center muffler in the 997.1 GT3 RS due to RMS oil leaks. Months later, PCNA issue a bulletin to Porsche service departments indicating that aftermarket exhausts were the reason for RMS leaks. Total PCNA BS, as my car leaked from the crankcase itself (yes, micro holes in the case a.k.a. as porosity), while other leaked with stock exhausts, while others did not leak with custom exhausts.

Put it back to stock and visit another dealer. I would personally eliminate those 50 lbs of pendulum ballast.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you have correctly surmised, the sport button should work just the same bypass or stock muffler .Happened to me with stock exhaust a couple of times and it may do it again, but tough to demo to dealer since it is only intermittent and hasn't happened in a while.

Unplugging it to always remain open defeats the whole purpose of the sport button function.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
im not sure what the proper repair would be.... personally however, for an exhaust warranty issue i would remove the sharkwerks and put stock muffler on to get the free warranty work.

then install sharkwerks again.

sometimes one needs to make it easy for the dealer to fix a simple problem.
the labour to remove, and install sharkwerks sucks, but not too bad...
I was going to say the same thing. No way I would take the car in with the Sharky on just to avoid any hassle.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Check to make sure they are plugged in at the top.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
Unplugging it to always remain open defeats the whole purpose of the sport button function.
I was under the impression the sport button also sharpened the throttle response a little, no?

Not that I can feel the difference but in my mind it makes a huge difference, maybe I don't want the answer here
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
I was under the impression the sport button also sharpened the throttle response a little, no?

Not that I can feel the difference but in my mind it makes a huge difference, maybe I don't want the answer here
According to Porsche, the sport button (on) reportedly changes mapping thus improving low-mid range torque.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Issue, Dealership, Sharkwerks