Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Done with 997.2 Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My understanding is that the conical surface shape and size of street center locks and race center locks is totally different.
Exactly - street CL wheels and Cup CL wheels do not mix.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA997
Exactly - street CL wheels and Cup CL wheels do not mix.
well, id be swapping to 5 lug pretty damn quick if thats the case... leave the center locks for the birds
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're just running DEs or TT, I would just go to 5 lugs. Cup car conversion seems like overkill to me.
GL
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can' imagine the cup car centerlocks will hold up well on the street, but maybe you exclusively run at the track.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 AM
BRracing
Former Vendor

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

We will post more info and pics when the conversion is done this week.
We did consider both 5 lug and Cup CL, and choose to go the Cup CL route.
Yes, all hubs and nuts or lugs or whatever have a defined "life cycle". With our experience on the Cup car, and the technical docs you get from PMNA on the service of all parts, this gave us the confidence that this system would work fine.
The cost to do either 5 lug or the Cup CL is almost exactly the same.
We also liked the wheel selection options.
Just as an FYI, you can NOT run Cup uprights w the Cup CL integrated...you have to run just the hub section.
As w the 5 lug, you need to do the wheel bearings...replace them. These should also be done on a regular basis even if you run regular stuff...don't care whether original CL or 5 lug or Cup Car CL.

Bruce
BRracing
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BRracing
We will post more info and pics when the conversion is done this week.
We did consider both 5 lug and Cup CL, and choose to go the Cup CL route.
Yes, all hubs and nuts or lugs or whatever have a defined "life cycle". With our experience on the Cup car, and the technical docs you get from PMNA on the service of all parts, this gave us the confidence that this system would work fine.
The cost to do either 5 lug or the Cup CL is almost exactly the same.
We also liked the wheel selection options.
Just as an FYI, you can NOT run Cup uprights w the Cup CL integrated...you have to run just the hub section.
As w the 5 lug, you need to do the wheel bearings...replace them. These should also be done on a regular basis even if you run regular stuff...don't care whether original CL or 5 lug or Cup Car CL.

Bruce
BRracing
The ability to run (left over/spare) narrow body 997 cup wheels on a narrow body 997 street car is pretty damn cool now that i think of it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 192 Posts

What happens if u get a flat? Can any Tom dick or Harry tire shop fix it on the spot? Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

about as many people can handle the Cup Car CL's as can handle the current Consumer CL's - all you need with you is the Cup Car CL socket - a simple matter of giving money to Porsche Motorsports…

the Cup Car CL's should hold up just fine in street use - although that was a minor consideration given that the car is now mostly a track dedicated car.

as I said at the beginning of this thread - "my opinion" is that the street center locks have problems and I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary for the cup car CL's or the 5 Lugs - in my opinion wheel attachment points should not be subject to catastrophic failure under normal track use conditions - as to porsche's assertion that properly maintained CL's will not fail - proving improper vs. proper maintanence is steep hill to climb.

when I started this thread I knew of 3 failures (a high number in my opinion) having reviewed other forums I now know of 6 failures of the consumer CL systems in HPDE/track use - that number is way way too high IMHO.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
yes.
and in fact, i have two more brand new ones i like to sell.
How much?

Great mod BTW. Cup wheels go on and come off 100 times per weekend... with no drama
Old 03-06-2013, 10:29 PM
jbxea1
Advanced

Dave04Porsche - I am considering updating my 2010 GT3 to the Cup Car center locks also. I was wondering if your experience with them so far has been positive? Any concerns? Any current feedback would be great. Thanks.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 1,777 Posts

no problems so far on the Cup Car Centerlocks - the only issues remain this is a damm expensive swap given that no matter what direction you go (5 LUG or Centerlock) you're in for purchasing new wheel sets. Also since this thread was started it's now a fact that Porsche recommends timing out the Street CL's every 4200 miles if they are used on the track - that's expensive to keep that up on their schedule.

Cup Centerlocks are not street friendly and technically a fussy person could ticket you for using them on the street. Unless you have mitigating circumstances (like I do with access to other people's 18" cup car wheels) I would recommend 5-Lug conversion because of the simplicity and long history and familiarity people have with that system. Not due to problems with my Cup Car CL's - just due to the fact that they are "still" different and only understood by a minority of the automotive community.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 AM
jbxea1
Advanced

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
no problems so far on the Cup Car Centerlocks - the only issues remain this is a damm expensive swap given that no matter what direction you go (5 LUG or Centerlock) you're in for purchasing new wheel sets. Also since this thread was started it's now a fact that Porsche recommends timing out the Street CL's every 4200 miles if they are used on the track - that's expensive to keep that up on their schedule.

Cup Centerlocks are not street friendly and technically a fussy person could ticket you for using them on the street. Unless you have mitigating circumstances (like I do with access to other people's 18" cup car wheels) I would recommend 5-Lug conversion because of the simplicity and long history and familiarity people have with that system. Not due to problems with my Cup Car CL's - just due to the fact that they are "still" different and only understood by a minority of the automotive community.
Thanks for the feedback. My car is mostly for track use now so I am concerned with changing out the hubs every 4,200 miles.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The number is very small as a percentage of cars sold and tracked a cross the globe, all cars have hub, bearing and wheel attachement problems that equal the forum numbers. Furoms are a risk place to take any facts and numbers from period.

I know of 1000's of 5 lug issues (other makes). Where track use is a problem is the frequency of wheel removals (pads, tyres, inspections etc) combined with a re-torquing procedure that cause some problems and any errors can be catostrophic in nature.

Jay

Quick Reply: Done with 997.2 Centerlocks