Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Demise of the Nuerburgring

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demise of the Nuerburgring

Well they created a monster, we as the customers and fan base fed the monster so they got a big ego and built up the 'Ring beyond what it ever should have been and now the company (state) is bankrupt. Sad but glad I lived near the track in the days before the edition of the venue it is to date. It was quiet then, now just a big circus.

http://www.thelocal.de/money/20120718-43811.html
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't know how it works in Germany or know the culture...but if this were in the USA...I'd say...here comes the condo's, houses and a mall. Sad!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

not as sad as 'audi city'
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Well they created a monster, we as the customers and fan base fed the monster so they got a big ego and built up the 'Ring beyond what it ever should have been and now the company (state) is bankrupt. Sad but glad I lived near the track in the days before the edition of the venue it is to date. It was quiet then, now just a big circus.

http://www.thelocal.de/money/20120718-43811.html
What a shame to have this nonsense happen to such a wonderful part of this world. Glad we had a chance to meet while I was over there! I know how much you enjoyed yout time while you lived there.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. The track + touristenfahrt is about the only thing that does generate revenue, so even in this case they will continue to keep this part open.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM
GuyR
Racer

Big fuss over nothing. Parent company will go bankrupt, banks will lose money on stupid loans for the new white elephant project that should never have been built and a new company will emerge still running the stuff that's ran successfully for the last few decades ie the track.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by GuyR
Big fuss over nothing. Parent company will go bankrupt, banks will lose money on stupid loans for the new white elephant project that should never have been built and a new company will emerge still running the stuff that's ran successfully for the last few decades ie the track.
I wish you were right.

But remember that the blame for this goes towards politicians- some of which still in charge ...and the tab will be picked by German taxpayers: in this set-up we may see different turns and twists.

This year should be ok as there are contracts in place. Next year might be problems because arrangements for 2013 are usually made around now, e.g. for VLN and 24h races...
Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
markus_t19
Advanced

Originally Posted by markus_t19
I wish you were right.

But remember that the blame for this goes towards politicians- some of which still in charge ...and the tab will be picked by German taxpayers: in this set-up we may see different turns and twists.

This year should be ok as there are contracts in place. Next year might be problems because arrangements for 2013 are usually made around now, e.g. for VLN and 24h races...
or consider an example closer to RL: if the "Mancation gang" would want to consider a "Tour d'Europe" which has to include a serious stint at the Ring for next year they'd be out of luck as no one of the usual suspects for running track days at the Ring will have any dates..or prices. On a smaller scale we have live through this PI*A that for the last 2 years... resulting last minute schedules and substantially increased prices
Old 07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
What a shame to have this nonsense happen to such a wonderful part of this world. Glad we had a chance to meet while I was over there! I know how much you enjoyed yout time while you lived there.
Oh yes, it was indeed great to meet up with a fellow Rennlister. My time there was awesome and I'm trying to get back! 'Ring or no 'Ring there is always Spa-Francochamps and Hockenheimring.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 PM
nigt3
Intermediate

The two tracks (F1 & Nordsc) will never close makes too much money, but as for disneyring best thing they could do with it is bring in the bull dozers which they prob will. Big fuss over nothing local media jumping on the band wagan and making it worse!!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markus_t19
I wish you were right.

Exactly, the buck gets passed to the state (it's citizens). I blame the Brits!

Really the North loop may generate money with the tourists or terrorists, depends on who is on the track, but without the big ticket races like the corrupt F1 and DTM the rest of the circus won't make up the difference. Should have just left the 'Ring the way it was before all this crap was built and succumbed to idiotic ideas like the 'Ring-Card!$!#!@#$ WTF!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,732 Likes on 2,698 Posts

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Oh yes, it was indeed great to meet up with a fellow Rennlister. My time there was awesome and I'm trying to get back! 'Ring or no 'Ring there is always Spa-Francochamps and Hockenheimring.
But they ruined Hockenheimring by ripping up the pavement for the part of the track that used to go through the forest
Old 07-18-2012, 11:00 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Yea, I was also at Hockenheim 2 years ago to watch Formula BMW race with a friend and it wasn't used to be like before (in the 90s). Grass were dead and entire place look ran down and poorly maintained.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Formula 1 is a luxury few tracks can afford

R+C
Old 07-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Germany is full of bankrupt race tracks, it doesn't seem to stop them operating.

R+C

Quick Reply: Demise of the Nuerburgring