Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trackrat High-Desert Trackdays Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.

Trackrat High-Desert Trackdays Registration Open (click that link). OCTOBER 26, 27, 28. It's locked in , the contracts are signed, the track is ours. Posting a new thread because so much changed from the original thread. I want to thank David Ray of Hooked On Driving for giving me his RFR dates for this event.

Reno-Fernley Racetrack (RFR), Fernley, Nevada. Config C which is approx 3.2 miles and 23 corners (+/-). Most likely weather here at this time of year is 40 degree mornings with high 60's in afternoon, sunny and no precip. There will be an optional catered BBQ Sat night hosted by THDI Event Social Director and all around good guy Doug Neilson (who may coordinate a Fri night event as well).

There are NO sound limits at this track. Run freely and enjoy the mechanical symphony.

Drivers will be split among three groups:

DE: Less fast lap times. Transponder timing optional.
Group 1, Faster lap times, AMB transponder timing available.
Group 2: Fastest lap times, AMB transponder timing available.

Groups will be split according to lap times so as to make the experience as good as it can be for everyone involved. Groups will be adjusted when necessary, as much as necessary during the event to get people into the correct grouping. Lap times will be the determining factor. Tentative schedule is five 20-minute sessions per day with 5 minute buffer built in to allow for 25 minutes sessions if folks clear the track.

All drivers MUST have verifiable track experience, however we will accept three newbies on track at this event under the wing of a PCA/BMW instructor. If you have attended a driving school held on track and are signed off fo solo, you are good to go! Run what you brung as long as it is safe for you and others. Self-tech, turn in your tech form at the event. I don't know of any cars suffering damage during a recreational event in the past three years at this track, you can explore your limits without much to run into if it goes wrong.

It's a fun event, no prizes other than bragging rights, camaraderie, and a satisfying sense of exhaustion at the end of each day!

I am a SCCA licensed DE/PDX/TT instructor and will host track walks, chalk talk, end of session downloads, lead-follow on track to assist anyone who would want to subject themselves to such things. We will also have access to some locals willing to help with line/track questions.

Safety and fun in that order are my priority at this event. Disrespectful, uncooperative drivers will be warned and then ejected from the event. As this is a fun event, passing is not for position, it is to facilitate a better time on your next lap. **If we work cooperatively passing should be of little concern on this big track**

Expect after running this track to have many sleepless nights thinking of how to run it faster.

Trackrat Trackdays now approved for coverage with Lockton Affinity track insurance. Direct sign-up link: https://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/....aspx?pID=5640 They offer PCA member discounts if you sign-up for coverage via their PCA portal. If you have any questions, you can contact Lockton at 866-582-4957 or email at [email]hpdeins@locktonaffinity.com

Track Info:
Altitude is approx 4300 feet, it's high desert and the air is clean and fresh. No sugarcoating it, the facilities are basic and rustic, this place is all about the track. There is no electricity in the paddock, bring your genset. You can camp if you want to and weather permits. Portapotties (clean). Some shaded areas with picnic tables. One building we will use for timing/admin, another to chalk-talk if anyone wants it. There will be premium unleaded fuel onsite- at least 100 octane and perhaps 108 too, figure approx $10 per gallon for the convenience. There is a question about this on the registration- Helps us plan to have enough fuel on hand. Otherwise it is a 10 minute drive to the gas station in Fernley. Lunch will be catered each day.

The track itself consists of several fast straights, many very technical corners including off cambers, blind corners, lots of elevation change, and not much to run into unless you do something incredibly dumb. Oh- plan on running a well dampened but softly sprung set-up. This track rewards a working suspension, not one set to "rock-hard". Terminal speeds at end of front straight are 135-150mph. Back and side straights 120'ish mph.

Lodging is available in Fernley, 10 minutes from the track, or Reno/Sparks approx 45 minutes from the track. My strong suggestion is make it easy and comfortable on yourself at Comfort Suites Fernley, all suites, microwave/refrigerators/coffer maker in-room. Special Trackrat rate (Ask for "Rate Program: LL84 Rate") of $79 king/$84 double suite for 2 adults, + $10 per additional adult. Call the hotel direct to get this rate! (775) 980-6514 ask for Tarin.

Reno has a nice remodeled airport that is approx 40 minutes from the track via highway and usually no traffic.

The paddock will be open on Thursday for your set-up convenience. I'm expecting to have tire support all three days where you can have your wheels picked up during the day or after we go cold and have them delivered back with new tires. I also expect technician availability to install brakes (you supply parts) or swap wheels side to side- you pay vendor directly. Question on signup about this to project demand to adequately man the event.

I will list some transport ideas here as they become available, please contact them directly:
Jim Bergeron, Customer Service Coordinator, www.intercitylines.com, jim@intercitylines.com, 800-221-3936 x106

If folks have a good time then I plan to organize two more of these events in Spring/Fall 2013. Your support on this event ensures a bigger and better event next year Please contact me directly with any questions: pete@trackrat.com

Config B:

Attached Images     

Last edited by savyboy; 10-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done Pete! Nicely organised.
I'm still gutted that I can't attend. I hope it is a blast, and that y'all lay down some mega-fast lap times. VIDEOS PLEASE!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Great set-up! Tx Pete! Just signed up for the 2-days, can't make Friday but will arrive late afternoon Friday. Would be interested in a Friday BBQ also.
PS: You posted config "B" and we're driving "C" right? I guess the only difference is the dogleg at T8a. Can't wait 'til October :-) Horst.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:29 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm in, see you all there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!
Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmenczer
Well done Pete! Nicely organised.
I'm still gutted that I can't attend. I hope it is a blast, and that y'all lay down some mega-fast lap times. VIDEOS PLEASE!!
Thanks Jesse! Man, we will miss you! And think of the guys who will be mounting up the Pirelli WC Slicks that Big O Tires is going to have available You can always ask POC to bestow an honorary win to you as it is a foregone conclusion anyhow, then cancel SP and come on over and play! Lol!

Originally Posted by Horstair
Great set-up! Tx Pete! Just signed up for the 2-days, can't make Friday but will arrive late afternoon Friday. Would be interested in a Friday BBQ also.
PS: You posted config "B" and we're driving "C" right? I guess the only difference is the dogleg at T8a. Can't wait 'til October :-) Horst.
Welcome Horst! Yeah, I was bound to screw something up and posted the wrong config graphic. Fixed now! Correct, C adds what we call "The Peanut" lol! It is a fun and quite fast detour with three blind corners (elevation change)! Woo-hoo it is trippy! Going to have some code browns in there...

Originally Posted by DJN
I'm in, see you all there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!
Cheers!
Doug N.
Welcome Doug! The first of the Canadian Contingent! Nexxxxxttttt!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully I can be there with the new car.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

This is going to be fun.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done Pete and great price! I will be there all three days and look forward to your instruction on Friday. Would have bring the new toy below but can't get pass security guard ... sorry to dissapoint 24chromium

May bring both Z06 and Cup if I can work something out.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by gstahl
Hopefully I can be there with the new car.
The car in your avatar would be quite fun MDrums could get his GTS out here and you two could contribute to the overall automotive beauty ambiance.

Originally Posted by 4porsh
This is going to be fun.
I would definitely want to follow Team Yellow and see what lines they come up with on this course

Originally Posted by mikymu
Well done Pete and great price! I will be there all three days and look forward to your instruction on Friday. May bring both Z06 and Cup if I can work something out.
Being able to try both cars there would be pretty cool. We are going to have a blast.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

+1 looks like a great event!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
savyboy
Drifting

If you have a car transporter and want to offer carriage to this event (from wherever in the USA), contact me and I will edit this post to give specifics and contact info I know of people who want to have their car and tires shipped over.

First to step up, Jim says he is happy to help, contact him directly: Jim Bergeron, Customer Service Coordinator, www.intercitylines.com, jim@intercitylines.com, 800-221-3936 x106

Last edited by savyboy; 07-20-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks again Pete for the organization and coordination. It was great to meet many RLers IRL in on the South East region. Will sign up later today and really looking forward to it.

+1 for great pricing!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 PM
c6r2006
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Pete, see you Friday.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks again Pete for the organization and coordination. It was great to meet many RLers IRL in on the South East region. Will sign up later today and really looking forward to it.
+1 for great pricing!

Welcome! Yeah I will need a good turnout at that pricing to break even but I wanted to do what I could to help folks defray travel/lodging expense. Please help spread the word to respectful, cooperative drivers that you know.

Originally Posted by c6r2006
Great job Pete, see you Friday.
Welcome Gordon, first of the Corvette crew to keep the Porsche guys on their toes
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pete, is it safe to leave the Z06 on the track overnight like Thunderhill and do you recommend brining canopy for cover? Will bring up Z06 Friday and maybe Cup for Saturday if I can leave the Z there.

Quick Reply: Trackrat High-Desert Invitational DE/TT Oct 26-28 Registration is Open.