Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

I've already "persuaded" SSTHO (who is currently GT3'less) to come out. Come on Pete, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I've already "persuaded" SSTHO (who is currently GT3'less) to come out. Come on Pete, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Huh, what?
Stephen is in I'm in.

BTW that bleu thing 3 posts back is just ugly, the Mono is awesome looking.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Huh, what?
Stephen is in I'm in.

BTW that bleu thing 3 posts back is just ugly, the Mono is awesome looking.
Ugly?!
Well, in fancy shmancy blue, it does look a bit like someone painted eyes on the back of a dog and taught it walk backwards, but no, I think in plain Jane vanilla white with some sponsor decals to pay for the tires and rebuilds, the RXC looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm in a plane drinking and people are looking at me funny for laughing so loud.

Still ugly
Old 07-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm in a plane drinking and people are looking at me funny for laughing so loud.

Still ugly
That's okay so long as you're not pilot in command.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nope, not flying for air chance I mean air France.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's okay so long as you're not pilot in command.
i read somewhere that pilots are allowed 0.02% b.a.c. - i hope what i read wasn't true.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i read somewhere that pilots are allowed 0.02% b.a.c. - i hope what i read wasn't true.
In Australia, it used to be zero percent and 12 hours (no source of alcohol or any unapproved drug) before flight. I don't remember the specifics of the zero percent or what constitutes "flight" or weather conditions or passengers or other risk factors. Currently, I believe it's 8 hours and 0.04%, meaning an 8:00am departure could be under the control of a person sitting at the bar at midnight and quite drunk, arriving at the controls feeling a bit woozy and tipsy, but assuring the other air crew "I'm fine .... I'm fine ..." Denzel Washington had ample real world material to construct his character, but I'd like to think they took it to the extreme. I still don't know how those pilots at SFO managed to kill people in a 777, but they proved it's an impressively stout (and fire resistant) aircraft.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
If you snag the last remaining 2012 allocation (12 cars total), base w/shipping/assembly/duties is approx $140k. 2013 allocations (10-12 cars) will definitely have a price increase. shinoo@Sector111.com is the contact for all US buyers (tell him you read my post).

So my future 4.0 replacement is not street legal in the US. Comes in as a "semi-knockdown kit" and Sector111 (Lotus tweakers and Atom sellers) builds the car in their shop. It seems straightforward enough to make it street legal here in NV, but my opinion is that would a suicidal move. I'd be run over on the street for sure. Not to mention the attention it would draw would make it a miserable experience.

However as a track tool, a compelling case for the Mono can be made. I was wholly and totally smitten upon reading the specs and seeing pictures of the naughty underparts. It is a very special car.

One of the two brothers who developed the car has done contract development work for Porsche. Read into that what you will.

Here is the main website: http://us.bac-mono.com/index.php
And a little forum I started: Monomanic.com
And the US Importers site: http://sector111cars.com/

Cost per hour to track it should be approx 1/3 that of a GT3 and lap times will be considerably quicker than that of a Porsche Cup car. A perfectly intense driving experience with dirt cheap (relatively) maintenance and running costs.

Everyone has their own preference as to what they want in a car. My Cayenne is wunder-fab for any street driving I do now. It's perfect in nearly every way. But for me the 4.0 is compromised for the street (frikken gawkers) and the track (too soft and too expensive to properly maintain). The Mono will feed me everything I crave while being cheap to run. A no-brainer.
Hi Savyboy,

Congrats for this car...its a real machine. Something I would like to own as well..but I wouldnt be willing to trade a 4.0 for that. Actually, my personal perference would be: have a few Porsches, daily driver Audi etc...but for ractrack, buy a second hand GP2 car or something like that..completely different level..I know, more maintenance, much more difficult to drive etc....if the Mono was 30% cheaper..I might consider it..but for that money you can get decent formula cars..and for going to the track you could still use the 4.0. But as you say, each has different preferences..

I look forward to your reviews however..very much.

all the best.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:42 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spent three days in the UK with the BAC folks and four other deposit holders/owners.

Best seat in the house from which to eat fish and chips- Having a bespoke seat molded by ProSeat the same folks who do F1 seats. I'm looking like the cat just drug me in because flight to the UK and no sleep in 24 hours :-)

Our two BAC Mono's ready and waiting for an Oulton Park track day with Oliver Webb.

Car-guy experience of a lifetime.
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Savy, Car looks great. It seems like you have been waiting forever but, definitly worth it. Have fun. Allan
Old 10-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allans
Savy, Car looks great. It seems like you have been waiting forever but, definitly worth it. Have fun. Allan
This guy knows how to wait.

Those nutbags waiting for the iPhone 6 are lightweights!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Can't wait to hear reports of your track experiences with it when you get her back home!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Now we are waiting for the videos
Old 10-18-2014, 03:54 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How did you like Oulton Park? And how does it compare to the tracks your used to in the US?

It was my local so spent many happy days there on bikes and with cars- I rate it as one of the best- especially the section under the bridge through Deers Leap also exiting the 'S' up the hill on the back wheel past the marshals hut is an experience

Quick Reply: GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW