GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road_Racer
Hey Pete,

Glad to see the Mono has finally arrived! It looks amazing, hope I get a chance to see it out at Fernley this year.

- Lysle #22
Lysle!

Between you, Chris and Julian, I have three excellent "rabbits" to motivate my lap times The GT3RS guys (hi friends ) can chase us

Hope you can make it to Thunderhill, I'll be there, if not see you at RFR.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
Road_Racer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure we will all be chasing you and Julian now.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it to Thunderhill, and am planning on a pretty light season this year due to just having our 2nd kid and wanting to focus some time and $ on a new project:

Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I just posted up on a thread in the 991 GT3 forum, but who goes there? Just kidding!

Latest info:
Sector111 is no longer the USA distributor of the Mono. The new USA Mono distributor is directly associated with BAC, there have been a LOT of changes. (April 2016 follow-up edit, Parts/Service are available in US at DesmotoSport (good people) in San Francisco)

Several have been registered for the street in CA, and one in GA. Me, I just want to track, so, mine is not registered, but I could (in NV) if I wanted to. In the US there are currently ten on the road and two in-build, and I believe about 40-45 worldwide. All cars are now custom fitted to the owner...if that kind of exclusivity and personalization appeals to you.

I would be glad to help arrange for an in-person visit with the BAC USA VP of Sales who is visiting Orange county Sept 6-8. For serious Mono prospects to learn and place a deposit if inclined to do so. A display car, no test drives (it's freakin' awesome as you expect, don't worry). Email me (pete at trackrat dot com) with your contact info and I'll be glad to relay it. I don't work for BAC nor have any financial arrangements, just a happy owner.

As a point of reference, I've yet to play with a 991 GT3 on track that I could not outrun when I wanted to. I'm on street tires and certainly not the most skilled driver. The Mono is a crazy fun car, there have been growing pains as some of you know and yes I've had to deal with crazy issues, primarily due to USA assembly quality, but 99% of it is behind me now, the car is mechanically dependable and BAC has stepped up many times to help when I needed it. New owners should have a smooth ownership experience. Interesting tidbit- yesterday was my 13th track day with it, rear brake pads still look new, fronts might have worn 1mm, that's nutty (in a good way). R888 tires will last probably a couple years per set, the stickier OE V70a Kumhos, approx 10-12 track days. It'll use a tank of gas (8 gallons) in about 90 minutes on track (and that's all I can physically take so it works out).

I've been working with some amazing people at Racelogic/VBOX the past three weeks to do a Mono data/CAN, VBOX HD integration, here is a sample of the beta test yesterday at Thunderhill. Bits and piece we need to tweak, but it's 95% done. It'll be a turn-key install for other Mono owners:

Attached Images  

Last edited by savyboy; 04-27-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: follow-up
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A marvelous machine and surely faster than the fastest RS in all circumstances. I think it was great value when you got it, but they've really priced themselves into a very small niche. Any plans for a race series, even some one-off gentleman racer thought of things?
The VBOX guys should look into video stabilization, e.g.
http://petapixel.com/2015/08/27/reel...he-next-level/
I wish I had an equally impressive off-the-shelf solution for audio. All I can say is, step one: don't use bloody gopro.

p.s. I just cottoned on to "NSFW" meaning Not Safe for Wallet.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:44 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi pete, looks like you're having fun!
bloody croc driver though maybe would have given you the point-by if you were in your old preuninger signature turbo parts-bin special? lol
Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A marvelous machine and surely faster than the fastest RS in all circumstances. I think it was great value when you got it, but they've really priced themselves into a very small niche. Any plans for a race series, even some one-off gentleman racer thought of things?
The VBOX guys should look into video stabilization, e.g.
http://petapixel.com/2015/08/27/reel...he-next-level/
I wish I had an equally impressive off-the-shelf solution for audio. All I can say is, step one: don't use bloody gopro.

p.s. I just cottoned on to "NSFW" meaning Not Safe for Wallet.
Miss seeing you at the track! I keep going to events, you are never there

Lol! What cool toys are safe for the wallet? People proudly pay 2x-4x all day long for a glorified $80k Carrera, so value is certainly in the eye of the beholder. A 4.0 is intrinsically a $90k car, I know as I had mine in pieces The Mono has been far safer for my wallet than previous cars, no hop-up parts to buy, they are already installed (because: "race-car").

Yes, when I placed my deposit, incredible value, it was a no-brainer. But as you know better than most, risk is always commensurate with reward and I was risking total loss. In exchange I have a paper value appreciation. For the quality of the car, BAC massively underpriced it. As you also know, the market abhors a vacuum, and if it could be built better for less, someone would. Anyone that has seen my car, or any Mono, will understand the value proposition. It's far more worth a quarter-mil than my GT2RS with it's fake carbon fiber grill (for example) ever was, said as a statement of fact and not with bitterness. There is nothing on the Mono that is fake or there for marketing purposes. Whoops, I mini-ranted

Ah- PS: many options on my car are now standard at the new pricing, so not as much of an increase as thought at first blush. Where else will you get a custom fitted seat and steering wheel? That's cool **** man!

Race series- no plans at the moment, other groundwork to be laid first, but it seems a natural outgrowth to me. Maybe in a couple years? In the meantime there will be Mono owners events at the track where folks can run for fun, one might happen this year?

My camera mount was a bit of a kludge, hence the shakes. I'm going to try and do better next time!

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
hi pete, looks like you're having fun!
bloody croc driver though maybe would have given you the point-by if you were in your old preuninger signature turbo parts-bin special? lol
Fun indeed! Good catch! Yes, the Croc was having none of this "point by" thingie, and stealing an apex (dive-bombing) would have gotten me black flagged so I just tailed the 'gator until he saw fit to grace me with the opportunity to stretch legs. I'm usually not a red-mist kind of guy
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Time moves on and SO DO I. This Mono is For Sale

Currently priced well under my original cost, and way under what you pay for a duplicate spec new one (about $345k or more).

Sorted out, a hoot to drive. Recent video:

Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM
smdepm3
Advanced

Pete, this may be too hard for me to pass up. We should talk

Ed
Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by smdepm3
Pete, this may be too hard for me to pass up. We should talk

Ed
I have an automotive technical background (Nashville Auto Diesel College graduate), the car was serviced and maintained by me to a very high level. The US cars had massive build quality issues and I went through mine multiple times to get it sorted out. It now is as mechanically perfect as any car can be.

The Cosworth engine will go years between rebuilds vs motorcycle type engines in some other cars. The Hewland gearbox likely has no wear- the Shiftec pneumatic paddle-shift system prevents money shifts and cuts throttle-ignition and actuates the clutch on shifts which results in "perfect" shifts every time (no trans wear).

Cosmetically, it has two pinhead sized rock chips that I could find, the XPEL Stealth in impingement areas provides extraordinary protection.

Any one will tell you I don't have offs ;-) The car has never been wrecked or even run through the infield grass.

Any competent repair shop can work on the car, parts/service are available by factory trained techs at DesmotoSport in San Francisco. They are very nice people there.

If someone wanted a turnkey package with a damn nice trailer, I would make a package deal that includes the JimGlo trailer I spec'ed just for the Mono. Imagine just backing up to it all with your truck and hauling to your house.

Many (most I think) Monos are street registered, I choose not to for several reasons, however it would be relatively easy to do so here in NV. 5-6 CA cars are on the street, as well as others in the US. There is always the "Montana Solution" (one Mono owner did that) if your state is one of the few that is hard to register a specialty car. Where there is the will to make a bit of effort, it is not difficult to get a plate on the car.

Versus the cost and time-to-delivery of a new car you save $120,000 and 6-18 months. Versus the other two Mono's currently for sale, mine is by far the most heavily optioned, the lowest price, and I'd think it is also the most mechanically sound given my perfectionist maintenance habits. A new owner should be able to drive it for years and only do occasional oil changes. A test mule car in the UK has now logged over 25,000 miles last I heard.

An entrepreneurial person in a $$ state (CA/FL/NY) could buy it, tag it, and resell and make a very nice markup.

There you go, that's the pitch I'm always available by phone to serious buyers with questions.

You are only a wire transfer away from this view!
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

^^ Great seller. I wired money first asked questions later. Glad I did..
If a FL buyer insists I volunteer a test drive and bring it back with me.

But Pete...... What is next, what could possible top this ?!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ Great seller. I wired money first asked questions later. Glad I did..
If a FL buyer insists I volunteer a test drive and bring it back with me.

But Pete...... What is next, what could possible top this ?!

Maybe a Wolf GB08F1 w/RPE V8. 10,500 rpm/450hp/1200lbs...lol. Too much is never enough right? I'll start a new thread when I decide for sure and order the replacement. But the MONO HAS GOT TO GO!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

New pics taken in the sun today. Dang.

Nice spares/extra package also available. Car+Trailer+Spares= SWEET.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post13248639
Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I'm really surprised this isn't moving... Member here had one out at a track day and everyone that drove it was really impressed. Looking it over the build quality is off the charts. And to get one fully sorted? That's worth big $$$.

Have to wonder if you went through process to get it registered if that might help move the car... ???

On the wolf, after spending 3 days at spring mountain this past weekend.... those radicals and wolfs look stupid fun. The wolf is INSANE. The radical corning speeds...wow. They come out of nowhere.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I'm really surprised this isn't moving... Member here had one out at a track day and everyone that drove it was really impressed. Looking it over the build quality is off the charts. And to get one fully sorted? That's worth big $$$.

Have to wonder if you went through process to get it registered if that might help move the car... ???

On the wolf, after spending 3 days at spring mountain this past weekend.... those radicals and wolfs look stupid fun. The wolf is INSANE. The radical corning speeds...wow. They come out of nowhere.
Good points! Yeah, a Wolf will just suit my needs best right now, I prefer a pure track car.

I wonder if that was Miguel in his white Mono? He tracks it frequently.

Registering for road has tax implications so that's important to fully consider for myself and a potential buyer, it's the main reason I've chosen not to register it so far. It's easy to register/title the car in NV, I just haven't done it because I don't want to street drive it. Everyone is different I suppose that is the next step.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:36 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Sale Pending...

Quick Reply: GT3 Alternative - BAC Mono - NSFW