Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Monster White Shark GT3RS 3.9 Build @ Shark Werks

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 AM
GYMGUY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful! So is this the same celebrity's RS that used to own the Grey 10 GT3? IF so does he like it much more?

Originally Posted by sharkster
Has to be one of my fav. builds to date as I wasn't able to order white/black at the time... This tasty white and black themed Mk1 2008 997 GT3RS arrived at the Shark Tank for a complete overhaul- canyon carving SoCal fun car was the order. A SharkWerks 3.9L engine (#16) with its 500hp and 8800rpms was installed along with the TechArt noselift system, light-weight HRE P40 wheels added along with our usual assortment of RSS goodies.

Here she is, gorgeous as ever (and yes that is an electric charging station):

The white one on the left is a 3.9 that's already been completed...

The rear apron goes bye-bye:

And let's start removing the intake and top soil from this 3.6:

The belly pans and sub-frames etc...

The hull:

Out with the engine and transmission:

Off come some of the external components and you know when external parts come off at SharkWerks it's business time:

More stripping!

Intake manifold is off:

The auxiliary parts start to really pile up:

And what's left behind is our favorite GT1 block:

Stripped down to the bare essentials:

Let's get the old ones out and the new 3.9 pistons and sleeves etc... in there:

Using factory tools (to a degree):

The EVOMS head gasket and headstud kit is next:

The heads get checked, refreshed and modified to top secret SW 3.9 specs:

With the heads along go the valve springs and retainers:

Next up the lifters:

And the camshafts:

Let's time some EVOMS/SharkWerks cams:

Next the cam covers:

The SharkWerks coolant pipe kit installed to replace the plastic ones prone to cracking:

More top-soil if you will:

Ready to go back in the car with all the auxiliary engine fluff back on:

In she goes:

Back home:

With the EVOMSit tune set for 91 octane a SharkWerks exhaust and 88mm satin black tips are also added to ensure we get that proper 3.9 sound:

With engine conversion done it's off to the front to install some Cargraphic radiator screens:

Bumper back on and radiators protected:

Test fitting the HRE P40 Monoblok wheels in satin black mounted with new Sport Cup tires:

Those are some aggressive offsets and no spacers required anymore:

Final round dressage starts in the form of carbon mirrors:

The interior is stripped out for a few more carbon goodies, new alcantara wheel and RSS 930 rollbar:

Carbon console:

Some EVO sport pedals:

And some very german yellow-stitched carbon MK2 seats:

James caught in a rare moment of (fill in the blank):

Interior complete with RSS roll bar:
Old 01-18-2013, 12:27 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Very nice work.
Love the white/black scheme on RS's

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

As I've said before.....AWESOME BUILD!!!
Very similar to my car, less the stickers.....it really gets me thinking...
You guys do great work & sell top notch aftermarket parts; LOVE my muffler bypass!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Great looking build.
Cheers man it's fav.
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Very nicely done!
Cheers man and keeping tabs on your build!
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Man, you guys know how to attract the "whales" when it comes to customers Most shops would probably love to do a build like this once a year. Let alone 3.

Nicely done. Always first class work. If I find $25k burning a hole in my pocket, I promise it's going straight to SW.
Aw thanks mate and it'd be an honor. I always used to enjoy your posts from way back in the day on those other forums We are definitely lucky to have the support you guys et .al have given us. This particular owner is not your typical LA celeb type... Yes he's on tv a lot but he's as die-hard about the gt3 as the rest of us and really gets it. It was a lot of fun and he's very down to earth indeed. Glad we are not tinkering with Lambos for celebs that's for sure!
Originally Posted by cds4402
Awesome!
Danke!
Originally Posted by cfjan
So the price for a 3.9L conversion can vary quite a bit then.. since I assume that splitting a case and replace the rod bolts and bearings would add quite a bit to the labor...
Certainly can yes. There are also a lot of little things we don't really mention or post about that get done as the years have gone by.
Originally Posted by dsu*
very nice build. Car looks amazing!
Cheers,
Originally Posted by RSRanger
Very nice work
Love the white/black scheme on RS's

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Thanks man and I was glad to read you are enjoying the orange monster!
Originally Posted by Nan P
As I've said before.....AWESOME BUILD!!!
Very similar to my car, less the stickers.....it really gets me thinking...
You guys do great work & sell top notch aftermarket parts; LOVE my muffler bypass!
Hehe glad you like it
Originally Posted by GYMGUY
Beautiful! So is this the same celebrity's RS that used to own the Grey 10 GT3? IF so does he like it much more?
Celeb? There's no celebrities here just us crazy gt3 nuts! I'm very hopeful that he will like more than the 10. The engine, the lwf etc.. Should make for a more visceral ride.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 AM
SeanP
Intermediate

So awesome. I will look for this on the used market in the next year or two (or so I can dream).
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome! one day i will ship over my car all the way from hong kong to you guys for this..!!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeanP
So awesome. I will look for this on the used market in the next year or two (or so I can dream).
Thanks and for sure... everyone who's a 911 guy needs a gt3 in their life
Originally Posted by a_Y
awesome! one day i will ship over my car all the way from hong kong to you guys for this..!!
thanks mate and for sure... it's been done before via Korea so
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Hi sharkster,

Wow..superb..I read about you already in Excellence..and here too. If I was located near to you..I would have been there already long time ago..but Im living close to Germany..so..

here are my questions:

1) the 3,9Kit, is it possible also on 3.8 or 3.8RS?
2) I have seen somewhere else kits of 4,2L..but I know that one tuner in germany did also 4,2..and got problems with it. The most famous GT3 tuner in Germany - and also winner of the 24h of nürburgring - does not recommend it
3) what can be done for a 997 GT2..?
4) do you work with partners in Europe?

PS: I like the posters of the Mcalren MP4-12 of 91 in your garage..it reminds me of my youth..and when F1 was still F1. I have a 1:12 Model of the Mclaren here on my office desk..and the signed autograph of Ayrton besides it..

all the best,
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi there, since Alex has been sick this weekend I'll try to help out here.
1) No unfortunately not, it would require a different combination of parts mainly due to the camshafts (variocam) and the extra .1 displacement probably wouldn't be worth the trouble. As these cars accumulate mileage/wear and we begin doing rebuilds we should have similar options though.

2) Yes, we have looked into this too and although it might be easy to find a combination of parts to bump the displacement, there's so much more involved to finding a great match of parts on these engines to resemble the stock powerband and keep it reliable, make it fun to drive etc. On paper it might sound good to buy a random 4.x kit but how many have been sold/installed? How does it drive on the street and how reliable has it been, with how many miles on customer cars etc?

The weight of all parts (remember the stock rods are titanium), the bore x stroke ratio, the camshafts' limits in making horsepower with more displacement at high RPMs, the tuning for valve clearance and optimal compression ratio to reduce/eliminate potential knock etc. are all special considerations. We will eventually have something for these cars but it will not be rushed or a throw-together "kit". It will be something we have personally road tested 10k+ miles and will need to be as reliable as stock in order to sell with confidence so we can repeat similar to this 3.9 engine (which we now have sold/installed 16 units). Displacement isn't everything too, it might bump the torque but there is a lot to figure for maximizing the parts as a whole, reliably.

3) For simple bolt-ons and as much horsepower as you can easily/reliably set up, I would recommend our product page here:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?model_id=22

For big horsepower Turbo cars and engine builds etc, I would talk to Evolution Motorports in Arizona. I consider them to be the leader in this field.

4) We have a number of partners in Europe. If you PM me your location I can specify a few shops in your region.

We are huge F1 fans and Mclaren is our favorite team! You're right about the golden age of F1. Alex and I both have toys and memorabilia all over the office to remind us of the good ol' days.

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi sharkster,

Wow..superb..I read about you already in Excellence..and here too. If I was located near to you..I would have been there already long time ago..but Im living close to Germany..so..

here are my questions:

2) I have seen somewhere else kits of 4,2L..but I know that one tuner in germany did also 4,2..and got problems with it. The most famous GT3 tuner in Germany - and also winner of the 24h of nürburgring - does not recommend it

PS: I like the posters of the Mcalren MP4-12 of 91 in your garage..it reminds me of my youth..and when F1 was still F1. I have a 1:12 Model of the Mclaren here on my office desk..and the signed autograph of Ayrton besides it..

all the best,
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by a.928
Hi sharkster,

here are my questions:

all the best,
I was out but back again and obviously Dan covered everything for us. Especially about our love of the golden F1 years:P

PS Where do you get Excellence there? My mum who still lives in England can't ever find it
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Eggorian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice build, #16.....looks familiar You will be very happy
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor