Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What do you guys think of his conclusions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I believe his sort of has his facts - but was recording a video and likely mixed them up.

I'm nearly certain, as I know it is true for the 997mk1 and mk2, and thus the 996 .1 and .2s, is that the frame is a hybrid of the wider, stiffer front section (found in 4wdr cars that are traditionally 'wide-body') and the rear section which is either narrow body for GT3s or wide for GT3RS (991 generation not included) - so the wide-body reference is sort of correct but how he used it - incorrect.

The 997mk1s had TC not SC - and I like 'his' explanation about corner entry versus corner exit which is mostly true but not entirely true.
Both the C4 and C4S chassis have additional structural reinforcement so the GT3 chassis was not a 'hybrid', the NB cars used the C4, and the WB car used the S body.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:15 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Both the C4 and C4S chassis have additional structural reinforcement so the GT3 chassis was not a 'hybrid', the NB cars used the C4, and the WB car used the S body.
I'm pretty sure that something about what I'm saying is correct as at launch on the 997GT3.mk1 car this was spoken about. It may have to do with the fact that in the transition years is it not true that not all S's or 4S's were wide bodies as I think there were a few years were they were actually narrow bodies - and thus the literature at the time spoke about the front section of a 4S being put together with a narrow body rear section - I can probably find the literature stating such but there was definitely something.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,260 Posts

I'm pretty sure that something about what I'm saying is correct as at launch on the 997GT3.mk1 car this was spoken about. It may have to do with the fact that in the transition years is it not true that not all S's or 4S's were wide bodies as I think there were a few years were they were actually narrow bodies - and thus the literature at the time spoke about the front section of a 4S being put together with a narrow body rear section - I can probably find the literature stating such but there was definitely something.
might be the case; I think the only significant item was the use of the '4' chassis which had additional reinforcement to deal with 4WD system that resulted in a significantly stiffer chassis ... the only difference between NB and WB AFIAK are the rear 1/4 panels over the wheels... could be wrong on that though
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Correct. The initial 4wd 996's were called C4, they are narrow bodied at the back but the front section was modified due to running a prop shaft to the fore.
The C4s was launched much later in the models life, this had the wide rear haunches from the turbo, amongst other changes.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,490 Likes on 2,272 Posts

like bob, i owned, track and streeted all three, though 996.2 was not RS.
on track on street, i take 7.2 over all of them, unless 996 is stripped.
talking about soft, hard, turn in, this or that in isolation is like saying you want the face of this girl, the head lights of that woman, the waist if this waif and the rear of that actor. well , it aint happening. drive all and buy the whole package.

journalists opinion is just that, an opinion. fun to read but not all that useful.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Now Mooty, if you were a journalist your opinion would be useful. I agree with you and Bob as well. I don't have nearly as much tracking experience as you guys.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:42 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
like bob, i owned, track and streeted all three, though 996.2 was not RS.
on track on street, i take 7.2 over all of them, unless 996 is stripped.
talking about soft, hard, turn in, this or that in isolation is like saying you want the face of this girl, the head lights of that woman, the waist if this waif and the rear of that actor. well , it aint happening. drive all and buy the whole package.

journalists opinion is just that, an opinion. fun to read but not all that useful.
Adding the 4.0 to the review would be another interesting dimension in opinion, though not so many owners really track them
Old 09-21-2014, 08:53 PM
RS77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 with Mooty. I've had all three also and 7.2 trumps the other two for street and track unless you are modding and stripping the 6.2. The 7's much more supple on the road - you'll save the cost difference in dental and chiropractic bills avoided

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of his conclusions?