Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 to 991 GT3 - Would You trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 02:30 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 991 RS en route. I have not sold my 7.2 GT3. My bet is that it ends up staying over the 991 RS.

I can daily driver it, heal-toe in my wood-bottomed dress shoes, drive it spiritedly, and cruise on highways,... great track set-up, SW bypass, and it is perfect. It is still here with me. I think about this car FAR more than I do about the incoming 991 RS. I have never brought up my 991 RS order; only others have and I don't really care to chat about it.

I drove it to a new dealer launch in my area yesterday; with all the new 991's and new GT3 and others,... my car got a ton of great attention. It is still relevant and looks damn good as is.

The other side is not always brighter and greener. Like ChrisF,... it's been tough thinking about what to do. But this car is so damn good at what it does. I would buy it back in a heartbeat above everything in the market right now.

The Greek said it perfectly,... and Nick can seriously drive(!)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trade it if you like flipping cars every 3 or so yrs..but a 15 would be a better choice than a 14
If you are a techno guy who has to have latest greatest, trade it ..
Keep the 997 if you must have stick shift or want to look at some appreciation in the next few yrs.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I have a 991 RS en route. I have not sold my 7.2 GT3. My bet is that it ends up staying over the 991 RS.

I can daily driver it, heal-toe in my wood-bottomed dress shoes, drive it spiritedly, and cruise on highways,... great track set-up, SW bypass, and it is perfect. It is still here with me. I think about this car FAR more than I do about the incoming 991 RS. I have never brought up my 991 RS order; only others have and I don't really care to chat about it.

I drove it to a new dealer launch in my area yesterday; with all the new 991's and new GT3 and others,... my car got a ton of great attention. It is still relevant and looks damn good as is.

The other side is not always brighter and greener. Like ChrisF,... it's been tough thinking about what to do. But this car is so damn good at what it does. I would buy it back in a heartbeat above everything in the market right now.

The Greek said it perfectly,... and Nick can seriously drive(!)
Stephen, if you ever sell your grey 997 I'll kill you. But you have to promise to bring the RS down for Winterfest. I will be buying the milkshakes
Old 05-08-2015, 04:54 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Stephen, if you ever sell your grey 997 I'll kill you. But you have to promise to bring the RS down for Winterfest. I will be buying the milkshakes
I'll sell it if Tampa Bay Lightning (a.k.a. Stamkos and friends) win the Cup!

I'm still betting my 991 RS doesn't make it past 2015. I can't get over a PDK GT3; I don't want my wife to drive it. I almost gave up on cars and went MP4-12C when only PDK 991 GT3s were announced.

7.2 GT3 is the right car to buy and drive to the ground. I want to do a SW 4.0 conversion after I blow up the engine. I should ask you to help me with that at Sebring next time!

It was only you and Clarke doing justice for the 7.2 non-RS.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:15 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm still betting my 991 RS doesn't make it past 2015.
then let me track it once before you sell... I already miss not driving your ex-GT2.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:28 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

I'll sell it if Tampa Bay Lightning (a.k.a. Stamkos and friends) win the Cup!

I'm still betting my 991 RS doesn't make it past 2015. I can't get over a PDK GT3; I don't want my wife to drive it. I almost gave up on cars and went MP4-12C when only PDK 991 GT3s were announced.

7.2 GT3 is the right car to buy and drive to the ground. I want to do a SW 4.0 conversion after I blow up the engine. I should ask you to help me with that at Sebring next time!

It was only you and Clarke doing justice for the 7.2 non-RS.
Ha! Last game was awful. Tyler Johnson has been killing it though. We'll get through Montreal....

I'm right there with you. Will enjoy the car for awhile but eventually id do a 4.0 conversion. Only other thing other than that is change gear ratios and 4.0 clutch/fw
Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I was faced with the exact same scenario. Get a 991 GT3 or buy my old 997.2 GT3 back.

Did tons of research, rode and drove some 991 GT3's. Initial thought was the car felt really big sitting inside, and on the track, although fast as *****, it was lacking any passion. Just point, press gas, turn wheel. Really felt like Porsches version of a Nissan GT-R. But alas I found myself still willing to buy it. It looks badass, the new and greatest, and like I mentioned, fast as ****. But then....

I met my friend for coffee who has a white 997.2 GT3. We were bored, so I asked if I could drive it since it had been a while since I drove my old car. Turned the key and the mezger came alive along with the rattles, burbles and vibrations the 997's are known for. I had the biggest smile on my face. No words could describe it. It just felt right. Perfect sized car, full of character, and a refusal to be obsolete. We are very blessed to have the ability to own and drive these cars.

If you have or get a chance to purchase one. Do it. It's a dead mans car....
Been off RL for several months, glad to hear you're reunited with your beast Nick! Hope you're shaking down DDog, Izone and the other guys on track again!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
If you're slow, you're slow. 991 won't change that.
If you were slow in a 997, you'll be slow or marginally faster in a 991.
If you were fast in a 997, you'll be MUCH faster in a 991.
I've had 3 first hand experiences with this. The 991 can make a driver who can't shift, let alone heal toe, who does not know when to brake, know how to manage throttle in corner, and where to be in the corner at any specific time, and who has binary inputs, drive light years faster and feel like a hero relative to other traffic. All three instances, the owners got them because they wanted to go faster, and were among the worst listening students I've had (yellow students in PCA). My point is that you can drive a 991 waaaay faster with much less skill than a 997. Not a bad thing, but it is a fact.

I'd agree that if you take a good driver, the 991 will be quite a bit faster, as fast as an RS (which has a big aero advantage) or even a little faster.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:43 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
Been off RL for several months, glad to hear you're reunited with your beast Nick! Hope you're shaking down DDog, Izone and the other guys on track again!
I know, I know. I was a Malaka to sell....

Glad I'm back also. Miss the 997 section of rennlist. I really lucked out. If I couldn't buy back my original car, not sure I would have gotten a 997.2 GT3. Can't believe the prices
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What's pricing like there now??? Did a search online here and could not find a single 997.2 for sale in Oz... We only got a handful of 991 gt3s and there were several for sale already...

To the OP, it's a very emotive decision and one that realistically you'll have to go with the heart on. Only you can decide how much more you're willing to pay above the value of your car. I for example would think twice before accepting a straight swap because I value the manual, mezger and proven platform of the 997.2 over the new car.

Since you love what you have and don't track I would stay with your own car considering it's holding it's value... You guys in the US are in a unique position...

If you're ready for a change then the 991 would be a magic car too and definitely a great drive for all the reasons already stated. It may carry a bit of a stigma with the engine troubles they had early on but considering you don't track, I doubt you'd have any reliability issues
Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think all this 991 3 manual talk is fun. Would really change the game. Again.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Fl0pp3r
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I wouldn't pay a dollar more for a 2014 GT3. They are tainted by the engine recall and will continue to depreciate. Eventually it will be worth less than the 997 GT3.
+1 991 gen GT3 *will* be depreciating at a dealership near you anytime now.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've had 3 first hand experiences with this. The 991 can make a driver who can't shift, let alone heal toe, who does not know when to brake, know how to manage throttle in corner, and where to be in the corner at any specific time, and who has binary inputs, drive light years faster and feel like a hero relative to other traffic. All three instances, the owners got them because they wanted to go faster, and were among the worst listening students I've had (yellow students in PCA). My point is that you can drive a 991 waaaay faster with much less skill than a 997. Not a bad thing, but it is a fact.

I'd agree that if you take a good driver, the 991 will be quite a bit faster, as fast as an RS (which has a big aero advantage) or even a little faster.
ShakeNBake you are absolutely 100% correct.
I have seen what you have stated in my local track experience. That even with guys who have had a Sharky 3.9 who have gone on to purchase a 991 GT3.
No worries, my little" know nothing gets no respect" Champion Motorsport build that can't compare to other builds" can hang and deflate the 991GT3. I've done it locally.
All you members, did I say ALL, yes I said ALL, have given ZERO respect to the Champion Motorsport build. Honestly NO WORRIES i love being the underdog. As the saying goes ... it's not how big the dog is in the fight BUT how big the fight in the dog IS!!!!!!!!!
You want to talk about fight ... well I have just a little bit of experience in that, thanks US Army and US Army Rangers.

Once again I am just an impaired driver trying to lve a dream.

Ranger

I look forward to a build reunion. My little POS "Rodney Dangerfield gets no respect" build may have something to say about that ... but hey what do I know. I'm just an impaired driver trying to live a dream.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
If you're slow, you're slow. 991 won't change that.
If you were slow in a 997, you'll be slow or marginally faster in a 991.
If you were fast in a 997, you'll be MUCH faster in a 991.
Sorry orthojoe but you are sadly and miseraly DEAD WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranger
Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,488 Likes on 2,271 Posts

ranger, it's not ALL members.
I dot. recall I disrespected champions build. they are quite a well known shop
I usually do not comment on BBI sharkwerks champion gig cantrell or anyone other builds bc I don't have enough (or any miles) n those builds. if I were to make a comment, it's always stock engine. (maybe with a tune here and here) but never full builds. simply bc I do not know them and cannot provide anything intelligent to contribute. that doesn't mean I disrespect champion or any other builders. however of any such builder is willing to send a car to me for a year of track testing, I will then have volumes to say about hem. I'm a great beta tester... all my bike and car mechanics know. I can break just about anything and everything without even trying. if it passes my test it is BULLET PROOF.

case in point, I cracked my second cipo frame, which I was told no one in the world has had that happen lol. I'm not that heavy and way below the wt limit of hat frame. so send stuff over, I'll test it.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 to 991 GT3 - Would You trade?