Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 03:40 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sketchy GT3: 2010 GT3 White ATL

:::::Updates at end of this post:::::

Hey guys,
While on my hunt for a GT3 I contacted the dealer about this one.
VIN: (VIN removed)

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=400465423

This dealer doesn’t know what they have.
At that price, it seemed too good to be true...and it was.

He was initially cooperative and sent me over the PPI. Once I began to read it to him and noted that all four PCCB rotors needed to be replaced and his response: "Oh wow...uh...I think it’s in the shop now. I'm not sure what they are replacing but it will get inspected".
What kind of answer is that?
I doubt the dealer is going to fork out nearly $20k in rotors and pads.
He did suddenly change the subject from the rotors to the body work that it needed and stated: "Our body shop will take care of the bumper".
He mentioned that they checked it over with a paint meter. I asked which panels had been painted. His response: "Well the PPI mentions the filler cap having over spray so I guess the hood". I asked him if they in fact checked it with a paint meter, that should tell them which panels had been repainted.
He said he wasn't sure and would get back to me.

There is no accident showing on the CarFax, however there is one on AutoCheck.

He was supposed to call me back yesterday before EOD but I didn't hear from them.

Just giving the community a heads up.

PPI
Name:  PPI_WP0AC2A9XAS783256.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  108.7 KB

Close up
Name:  PPI_WP0AC2A9XAS783256_CloseUp.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  91.9 KB

::::Update::::

The sales manager called me back today.
They are now selling the car "as is" at that price ($113.5) and are not repairing anything.
He also stated that he "wasn't confident" in the PPI performed at Jim Ellis Porsche because they are a competitor and would send the car to another dealership to have a new PPI done.

::::New Update::::

Dealer called me back...again.

He was asking me all sorts of questions about the rotors.
I informed him of how the minimum specs were engraved in the hub and they should follow that.
Next I informed him that if it were up to me I would swap them out with the steel cup rotors.

He texted me indicating the rotors were in fact down to the min spec and they would be swapping them out for the Cup rotors.

::::Update 10/3/15::::
Below is the PPI provided by Chuck (the current owner).

Chuck has informed me that the car was misrepresented by Jim Ellis and is in perfect order now.
Glad this mystery car turned out to be ok.

Name:  IMG_4926.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  114.3 KB
Name:  IMG_4927.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  176.0 KB
Name:  IMG_4928.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  136.9 KB

Last edited by TheInfamousDrew; 10-09-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:58 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,758 Likes on 1,649 Posts

You'd never know by looking at the pictures. It's funny when you hear others say, well I can get one for this much and they refer to an ad they saw. Pictures and ads are incredibly deceiving that's why I usually never sell a car that way.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:42 PM
Atlantagt3
3rd Gear

Thanks for the heads up. I test drove this car today! It had a rattle they could not explain nor could I find the source
Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 AM
JuanCarpantier
Instructor

Seen that one weeks ago. Limo tint makes me immediately cautious.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 AM
CTK
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked into it yesterday. There is a Porsche dealer inspection report which references overspray on fenders, track use and an issue about changing the hubs ($5k), changed motor mounts and issues with PCCB.

For $5-10k more, you can get a car in much better condition. This car is over priced at $113k
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM
agentf1
Instructor

Glad I didn't take the trip to check it out. I would have been pissed.

I found a lot of dealers drag their feet when asking for DME Reports or PPI paperwork.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

They are now selling the car "as is" at that price ($113.5) and are not repairing anything.
He also stated that he "wasn't confident" in the PPI performed at Jim Ellis Porsche because they are a competitor and would send the car to another dealership to have a new PPI done.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TheInfamousDrew

They can always send the car to the other Atlanta Porsche dealer...the one that is about 200 feet from their lot......

BTW I also drove this car ~ a month ago...would not buy it at any price. GT3's are great, strong cars but obvious this one had a hard life.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:10 PM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

I informed him of how the minimum specs were engraved in the hub and they should follow that.
Next I informed him that if it were up to me I would swap them out with the steel cup rotors.

He texted me indicating the rotors were in fact down to the min spec and they would be swapping them out for the Cup rotors.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:51 AM
whoadude
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This is pretty funny. I think everyone on the hunt noticed this car on autotrader. The dme report looks pretty decent though no?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:40 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,758 Likes on 1,649 Posts

You shouldn't have given him that info. F the salesman! Min spec? Then should be replacing the rotors with new ceramic's, exactly what belongs on the car. Next thing, we'll be looking at Gt3's for sale with Pep Boys parts on them.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:08 PM
callchuck
Intermediate

Default Bad PPI incorrect Not Buyer Beware car

I own this car and the dealer was correct, some of the information on the PPI is incorrect. This car has never been in a accident...auto check showing minor repair to hood (cannot confirm). Brakes are fine and probably will be changing out to steel soon for more track days. This car is strong no over revs and tracks straight as an arrow. I am getting another PPI from Hennessy in Atlanta and will correct any problems they find. I would also like to thank whoever started this thread because I got a great car for a great price! This is not a buyer beware car...but a great GT3. FYI..... the rotors are not down to the minimum spec. as stated in PPI. Several other instructors and myself tracked this car last month and it was SUPER strong with absolutely no brake fade. Anyone wanting to see this car or test drive it I will be at the next Chin event at Road Atlanta instructing, and will gladly prove this PPI was incorrect. This car has no over spray anywhere on car.... whoever did this PPI must not be very experienced. The over spray that was stated was the clear bra around the fuel filler base. The lower bumper and apron are not broken but have popped out of place because front splitter sometime rubs the ground or bumps which causes lower bumper and apron to pop loose. Everything has been snapped back into place with no further issues. Not sure why this car got a bad rap from Ellis Porsche but I will be posting a new one from Hennessy Porsche soon. The most important information gained from a PPI and DME report is making sure it has never been in a major accident and the rev report. As stated on PPI from DME report no over revs out of stage 1 and only 30 ignitions in range one only. This car has not had a hard life, but maybe abused for not running it hard enough as was designed for. Brakes and tires are always expected to be changed out on a routine bases if you are going to track the car. Wearing down rotors and tires is not a reason to run from a car. Over revving in stage 4 and up are a good reason to pass on a car. Anyone tracking a car hard should sometimes hit stage 4 and that should be acceptable for a track car. As stated in PPI report about rotors and pads worn to minimum specs seems impossible if a car has not been run hard or fast. How could you wear out ceramic rotors with only 13,000 miles on the car? Someone please explain that one to me.
I drive these cars for a living. Your loss and my gain.

Thank you!

Chuck Rosenblum
Porsche North America
Experience Center Driving Coach
Atlanta GA

Last edited by callchuck; 10-01-2015 at 01:47 AM. Reason: correcting infomation
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 PM
callchuck
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Atlantagt3
Thanks for the heads up. I test drove this car today! It had a rattle they could not explain nor could I find the source
Rattle was passenger door plastic piece around red door strap to open door. It needed to be pushed into place or snapped back into place to stop rattle. Sometimes pulling the strap to open door can pop the plastic piece out of place.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:58 PM
callchuck
Intermediate

Hey guys,
While on my hunt for a GT3 I contacted the dealer about this one.
VIN

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=400465423

Let me be the first to tell you....RUN!
This dealer doesn’t know what they have.
At that price, it seemed too good to be true...and it was.

He was initially cooperative and sent me over the PPI. Once I began to read it to him and noted that all four PCCB rotors needed to be replaced and his response: "Oh wow...uh...I think it’s in the shop now. I'm not sure what they are replacing but it will get inspected".
What kind of answer is that?
I doubt the dealer is going to fork out nearly $20k in rotors and pads.
He did suddenly change the subject from the rotors to the body work that it needed and stated: "Our body shop will take care of the bumper".
He mentioned that they checked it over with a paint meter. I asked which panels had been painted. His response: "Well the PPI mentions the filler cap having over spray so I guess the hood". I asked him if they in fact checked it with a paint meter, that should tell them which panels had been repainted.
He said he wasn't sure and would get back to me.

There is no accident showing on the CarFax, however there is one on AutoCheck.

He was supposed to call me back yesterday before EOD but I didn't hear from them.

Just giving the community a heads up.

PPI

Close up

I own this car and the dealer was correct, some of the information on the PPI is incorrect. This car has never been in a accident...auto check showing minor repair to hood (cannot confirm). Brakes are fine and probably will be changing out to steel soon for more track days. This car is strong no over revs and tracks straight as an arrow. I am getting another PPI from Hennessy in Atlanta and will correct any problems they find. I would also like to thank whoever started this thread because I got a great car for a great price! This is not a buyer beware car...but a great GT3. FYI..... the rotors are not down to the minimum spec. as stated in PPI. Several other instructors and myself tracked this car last month and it was SUPER strong with absolutely no brake fade. Anyone wanting to see this car or test drive it I will be at the next Chin event at Road Atlanta instructing, and will gladly prove this PPI was incorrect. This car has no over spray anywhere on car.... whoever did this PPI must not be very experienced. The over spray that was stated was the clear bra around the fuel filler base. The lower bumper and apron are not broken but have popped out of place because front splitter sometime rubs the ground or bumps which causes lower bumper and apron to pop loose. Everything has been snapped back into place with no further issues. Not sure why this car got a bad rap from Ellis Porsche but I will be posting a new one from Hennessy Porsche soon. The most important information gained from a PPI and DME report is making sure it has never been in a major accident and the rev report. As stated on PPI from DME report no over revs out of stage 1 and only 30 ignitions in range one only. This car has not had a hard life, but maybe abused for not running it hard enough as was designed for. Brakes and tires are always expected to be changed out on a routine bases if you are going to track the car. Wearing down rotors and tires is not a reason to run from a car. Over revving in stage 4 and up are a good reason to pass on a car. Anyone tracking a car hard should sometimes hit stage 4 and that should be acceptable for a track car. As stated in PPI report about rotors and pads worn to minimum specs seems impossible if a car has not been run hard or fast. How could you wear out ceramic rotors with only 13,000 miles on the car? Someone please explain that one to me.
I drive these cars for a living. Your loss and my gain.

Thank you!

Chuck Rosenblum
Porsche North America
Experience Center Driving Coach
Atlanta GA

Last edited by callchuck; 10-08-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:24 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on the purchase Chuck

Quick Reply: Sketchy GT3: 2010 GT3 White ATL