Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:28 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=271388607

Lastly, how about this 2010? Again, not sure about the red stitching. What are the thoughts on .1's vs. .2's. I know people either love or hate the centerlocks, I know the technology is better in the .2's and more power, etc.

WP0AC2A99AS783149
Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Been for sale for a while. Issue I notice with that one is the steel rotor swap on the front. Either the car was used on track, or a rotor got chipped and the previous owner did not want to pay for a new front set.

If you’re interested in a car that is similar but has even more cool stuff done, Switchcars just got in a white 997.1 GT3. PCCB’s, euro GT3 seats, which are around $15k a set, OEM RS wing, 4.0 clutch and RS flywheel, pinned lines, a fully sorted car from a local guy that I know. If I was in the market, that’s the car I would be buying. 35k miles. It isn’t on his website yet but I would reach out. Local for you too, so you could easily drive up and grab it. If you wanted to get some coat back after buying it, you can easily sell the seats for $10-15k here (depending on how quick you want to sell) and put in the factory sport seats.

Thanks, Bxstr, I PM'd Switchcars. I am still learning about the gt3 market. Because of the low mileage and pricing, I'm guessing that car was tracked a fair amount. How much does that matter if a PPI checks out? Again, I am learning about this market. BTW, I have my c2s listed on here and I feel like I am close to having it sold. I tried to trade it in on the 08 gt3 in KC but we couldn't get close enough on the numbers. Hopefully I am close to buying a GT3
Old 08-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,973 Likes on 2,050 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
Thanks, Bxstr, I PM'd Switchcars. I am still learning about the gt3 market. Because of the low mileage and pricing, I'm guessing that car was tracked a fair amount. How much does that matter if a PPI checks out? Again, I am learning about this market. BTW, I have my c2s listed on here and I feel like I am close to having it sold. I tried to trade it in on the 08 gt3 in KC but we couldn't get close enough on the numbers. Hopefully I am close to buying a GT3
Condition will always come before a car having seen some track miles to me. A lot of owners buying 997.1 GT3's back in 2007-2008 I think had the intention to use them on track, at least for some light drivers ed events. Most of the guys that I know that do track their cars, whether it is once a season or multiple times in a year will over maintain their cars. Brake fluid flushes multiple times per year, oil changes multiple times per year and consistent checking of all components to be sure that everything is working properly. The guy driving 500 miles a year to and from shows may be less concerned with over maintaining his car as he is not using it to it's fullest potential and in many cases, the person doing car shows or light driving only can get away with just an oil change and basic inspection. If the car was used on track I would just want to be sure it was protected with clear film because otherwise the paint may be in need of a front respray. Other than that, a car with some light track use should be fine. Also with the white car with the steel front rotors instead of ceramics, you also should keep in mind that if the previous owner kept traction control on during track driving, the rear rotors may be worn too and require replacement. But that is why I would want to know why the fronts are steel instead.

People will give you different opinions on this though. I just saw UDrive Automobiles post on IG the other day mentioning they are looking for low mile, high spec and low owner count cars. Now I understand wanting low miles so you can put more miles on it, but keep in mind depreciation is going to be higher. I understand high spec for sure if there are specific options that you want, but low owner count I still do not understand. I was able to get in contact with the 5 previous owners of my car. They are all enthusiasts that had the resources and means to upgrade and get a different car. They were not selling it because it is a bad car. Now if someone wants a low owner count since they can get service records, I would focus more on getting the service records and that aspect rather than how many owners it has had. Best thing is to buy the best condition car that you can.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

2007 GT3. Yellow. 22k miles. $106,300. WP0AC299X7S792990

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 08-15-2020, 11:42 AM
atibs86
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Bxstr’s advice is sound. He’s always very good about providing input when people ask questions like yours on this forum. I am similar to you in that I am new to this 997 GT3 world. I purchased an ‘07 GT3 in December last year with a similar story (at least on face value) to what you are looking at now. I went to this forum for advice on the car which was helpful. Ultimately though, I paid for a PPI, did some research on my own to find out as much as I could on the backstory of the car, and I decided to buy the car based on that. My car also was a PCCB factory car that had the rotors swapped for steels, had its coolant lines pinned, and had a center muffler bypass exhaust. I am the 3rd owner. The previous owners certainly spent some time driving this car on a track. That didn’t matter to me. 7+ months in, and I am very happy with the car. The thing rips. I love it.

I guess I don’t understand why tracked cars seem to have a negative connotation in the discussions on this forum. The GT3 calling card is that it’s made for the track, yet it’s bulletproof design is made to last, regardless if you’re banging it on a track or cruising on the street. As long as everything checks out, I don’t see the problem either way.

Certainly, my anecdotal experience is nothing compared to the wealth of knowledge a lot of these forum members have, but I wanted to share it nonetheless since my car seems to have a similar backstory to what you are looking at now. The one SwitchCars has may be a better deal compared to the one you asked about. I have no idea. But if you are budget conscious as I was, I wouldn’t shy away from a car like the one you asked about just because it spent some time on a track. I am very happy with my car and plan to get the car back where it belongs once all this Covid stuff is in the rear view mirror.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:58 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
WOW - seems 997s are going up in value (likely warranted - as best bang for buck in the GT space)

btw, the Mezger motor is a motorsports product and is intended to win races on a track. disregard a tracked car and you'll likely end up window shopping. as long as the car has been maintained you're getting an awesome vehicle
The following users liked this post:
seis-speed (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 01:11 PM
gerryros
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Completely agree with Bxstr, would not rule out a good car with track history. I do a handful of track days a year and before each event I have a brake flush and oil change (and oil analysis), rotors and pads typically changed every year though not needed, etc. The car is constantly gone over by myself and my mechanic and we do not wait for the standard service interval to do things like plugs and filters. There can be negative connotations around cars with some track history probably because there are some out there that had a hard life and were not well cared for and/or had track incidents. But good due diligence and a PPI should surface those issues. The GT3 I recently purchased has some track history and I believe I am the 8th owner; 8 is a little higher than I prefer but was ultimately totally ok with it because the car was great spec, checked out, and I got the benefit of everything on my wish (or to do) list being already done by the time it got to me - 5 lug conversion, studs, roll bar, center delete, paint correction and ceramic, PPF on 75% of the car, numeric shifter and cables, and suspension bits, and I definitely did not pay a premium for any of that.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:42 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atibs86
Bxstr’s advice is sound. He’s always very good about providing input when people ask questions like yours on this forum. I am similar to you in that I am new to this 997 GT3 world. I purchased an ‘07 GT3 in December last year with a similar story (at least on face value) to what you are looking at now. I went to this forum for advice on the car which was helpful. Ultimately though, I paid for a PPI, did some research on my own to find out as much as I could on the backstory of the car, and I decided to buy the car based on that. My car also was a PCCB factory car that had the rotors swapped for steels, had its coolant lines pinned, and had a center muffler bypass exhaust. I am the 3rd owner. The previous owners certainly spent some time driving this car on a track. That didn’t matter to me. 7+ months in, and I am very happy with the car. The thing rips. I love it.

I guess I don’t understand why tracked cars seem to have a negative connotation in the discussions on this forum. The GT3 calling card is that it’s made for the track, yet it’s bulletproof design is made to last, regardless if you’re banging it on a track or cruising on the street. As long as everything checks out, I don’t see the problem either way.

Certainly, my anecdotal experience is nothing compared to the wealth of knowledge a lot of these forum members have, but I wanted to share it nonetheless since my car seems to have a similar backstory to what you are looking at now. The one SwitchCars has may be a better deal compared to the one you asked about. I have no idea. But if you are budget conscious as I was, I wouldn’t shy away from a car like the one you asked about just because it spent some time on a track. I am very happy with my car and plan to get the car back where it belongs once all this Covid stuff is in the rear view mirror.

Thanks for all your info. I spoke to the guy and he said 2 rotors got chipped during a tire change and the tire place would only pay for one because the other wasn't chipped "that bad". Once my car is sold I may still consider that one.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-15-2020, 03:39 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

seller is a Rennlister. Kdawg, maybe??
Old 08-15-2020, 05:40 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 540 Posts

There's a difference between a car that has been tracked and a track-car.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:03 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Are 997 prices recovering? For a while a few months ago I saw some decent 997.1 non RS with 20-40k miles for mid 70 to low 80's. Now they seem to be higher again?
Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Are 997 prices recovering? For a while a few months ago I saw some decent 997.1 non RS with 20-40k miles for mid 70 to low 80's. Now they seem to be higher again?
Seems to be. 20-40k mi are going for $85-$95 lately. Not sure they were ever in the $70s though. Only ones in the $70s or low $80s are higher mileage examples.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:59 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,263 Posts

4K mile White/Red .2 RS. Asking price is $175k.
https://www.porschestlouis.com/used-...AC2A9XAS783824
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidGT:
Louis de Funes (08-16-2020), nle (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
There were the two Bring a Trailer examples, the black one with 12k miles that sold for $78k and the Gray one with mid 30k miles that went reserve not met at $74k. Black one in particular seemed to have some issues with it that were not being answered. Impressions on the rear bumper, or it appeared that way, I think that one may have had some corrosion on it that people were suggesting could have made it a flood damage car. One of the sport chrono hands had come off, just some strange stuff that prevented the car from going as high as it could have. Gray one, I forget the details around that one, but the correct buyers may not have been in the room. Now there was the white 26k mile GT3 that sold there recently which brought $96k, that car had PCCB's, was well represented. I don't think any of these individual cars make the market, since one transaction cannot make the market, whether It's a really good sale or a really bad sale.

A couple months back I saw a CLK Black series sell for around $120k on BAT, it was not low mileage and didn't have anything special done to it. That car was for sure an outlier, the market price on those are $70-80k, unless a unique color or very low mileage.

As an example to counteract the black BAT GT3, there was a GT3 I know of that was black had 16k miles, had range 5 over revs, although the over revs were many hours ago, more than 250+, and a front repaint that just sold for $89k. This was in the past month. I wouldn't say that is normal and most of us on here would not want to pay that much for a car with that history, but over time we should be able to develop a trend of where the market is going, but I tend to try and look at the cars that transact though dealers or private sellers (not auction websites) since that is where the majority of these cars are selling through. Plenty of people including me would not feel comfortable buying a car on one of the auction websites, unless there were many pictures and it was from a trusted seller.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

2007 GT3. 54k miles. $79k. RSS cage and bypass. Accident reported. WP0AC29957S792153

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...