Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

check engine warning light at gas fill up

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM
GG300
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine warning light at gas fill up

I have a 2010 GT3 with 10 k miles on it. Went out yesterday for a ride. Stopped to get gas turned off car and filled up. I left the station and the check engine warning light came on about a 100 or so feet out of the station. I think that the attendant at the station did not lock down the gas cap all the way till you hear a click. I pulled over , shut the car off and screwed the cap down and restarted the car, the computer did its diagnoses test when the key is turned on the check light comes on then goes off. I start driving and the light comes back on and does not go off, it is a steady light ,no flashing. QUESTION, If the problem was the gas cap how long does it take for the computer to reset it self? I was about 5 miles from home and it did not reset. I also check the functioning of the sport exhaust by pressing the dash button, all seemed to be fine with its activation????
Best Regards,
GG300
Old 07-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Pull the codes. If they are generic any reader can get them.
Could well be the gas cap or something else b
Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Iirc correctly it takes a fair amount of driving once an issue is resolved and then the code resets/disappears. Perhaps again double check and make sure the cap is secured, drive for a 100 miles (cumulative) and see how that goes
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM
GG300
Track Day

Thx for your input and advice.
GG300
Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by GG300
I have a 2010 GT3 with 10 k miles on it. Went out yesterday for a ride. Stopped to get gas turned off car and filled up. I left the station and the check engine warning light came on about a 100 or so feet out of the station. I think that the attendant at the station did not lock down the gas cap all the way till you hear a click. I pulled over , shut the car off and screwed the cap down and restarted the car, the computer did its diagnoses test when the key is turned on the check light comes on then goes off. I start driving and the light comes back on and does not go off, it is a steady light ,no flashing. QUESTION, If the problem was the gas cap how long does it take for the computer to reset it self? I was about 5 miles from home and it did not reset. I also check the functioning of the sport exhaust by pressing the dash button, all seemed to be fine with its activation????
Best Regards,
GG300
Generally speaking it takes a number of warm up cycles before an error code can be erased by the DME and the CEL extinguished.

Some errors might require only a few warm up cycles. Something like an error code related to a converter -- my experience -- can take a good number or warm up cycles. (In one case I let the CEL remain on after pulling a P0430 -- bad converter -- error code. I continued to use the car and had come to consider the CEL on a permenant condition when I noticed after an engine start the light was out. I can't tell you how many warm up cycles but the light stayed on for a week or more and I use my car daily.)

Spyerx's advice is good. Pull the codes.

Either get a device to read the codes or have the codes read -- both active and pending -- and write them all down. Post for discussion if you want to or run them buy your trusted tech for his opinion.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 PM
abcut973
Pro

Get the codes. Your only to know what's up.
Could be plenty of reasons as mentioned above. From gas cap, to bad fuel, to a pending issue that just happened to pop up at the same time. GL
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46 PM
GG300
Track Day

Went to a local guy who is not a Porsche mechanic that I know, he ran diagnostic test, CODE came up P1487, he re set it and check engine light is out. However he could not find what the code stands for. Does any one know?

Best regards,
GG300
Old 08-09-2016, 03:07 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Also, just in case, get a new gas cap from Suncoast, I think it's about $18
Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

did some google searches and it's something to do with EGR or Secondary Air. Drive the car as normal and monitor it. My guess is it was related to the refueling.

After you've driven the car for a couple weeks, pull the Emissions readiness codes and ensure all the readiness indicators are set.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:00 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Also, just in case, get a new gas cap from Suncoast, I think it's about $18
This would be my suggestion as well.

Quick Reply: check engine warning light at gas fill up